2251201 f614e4bd 120x120
Roch Bridge 1910 to 1926 The River Roch is bridged for a distance of 446 metres - the widest bridge in Europe. Originally dating from at least the early 17th century, it was first extended from Yorkshire Street to Wellington Bridge in 1904 and again in 1910, 1923 and 1926

Roch Bridge, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Subjects
15645649322 0b9fbab961 m
Union Flag Inn Grade II Listed Building 1708 In 1745 a confrontation between the forces of Bonnie Prince Charlie and the town authorities took place here. Built as a residence it is a particularly early instance of accomplished classical architecture. Used as a bank since 1930

Lloyds Bank, Yorkshire St, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Subjects
15464848338 0f5a7f131f m
Former Site of Rochdale Market Rochdale was one of the first of the towns in Lancashire to receive a market charter (1240 AD), and this plaque commemorates the transfer of the market in the mid-16th century from its original location in or around Church Lane to Yorkshire Street. The area marked by metal studs continued to be used until the early 1940's

Lloyds Bank, Yorkshire St, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Subjects
26810423811 b4a73719d6 m
Rochdale Remembrance Gardens These gardens were constructed by the County Borough of Rochdale in compliance with a decision of the Towns meeting called by the then Mayor (Councillor Norman Richards Woolfenden J.P.) on 14th April 1947. A fitting memorial to the gallant fallen of the 1939-1945 war

The Esplanade, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Subjects
26622339780 543240ebd7 m
St Chad's Vicarage Grade II listed building circa 1725 Built for the Reverend Dunster. The design was based on a similar house in London

Sparrow Hill, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Subjects
26802004272 40ef5d72a1 m
Rochdale Market Rochdale was one of the first towns in Lancashire to obtain a market charter (1251). The market was held in this vicinity until the mid 18th century. Thrice-yearly cattle markets continued here until 1887

Church Lane, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Subjects
26897201485 9a2d7bdc84 m
Wet Rake Gardens c. 1909 Marking the top of this historic shopping street, Wet Rake Gardens replaced the Union Foundry, once owned by John Halstead & Co, iron and brass founders

Drake Street, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Subjects
26863959336 c4b6613965 m
Church of Saint Edmund Grade I Listed 1870 to 1873 The outstanding Freemasonic architecture of the Church of St Edmund represents the pinnacle of James Medland and Henry Taylors' architectural skills. The building was funded by notable Rochdale banker, industrialist and Freemanson, Albert Hudson Royds

St Edmund Street, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Subjects
26864454236 7468bfd4c6 m
The Roebuck Public House c. 1814 the first 'Roebuck PH' was built in 1660 on the old Market Place and moved in 1783 to the 'New Wall' (now No 5 South Parade). During that time it was a key stop for horse-drawn coach and mail services throughout the north of England. The Earl of Uxbridge stopped here in 1817 to replace his cork leg after the Battle of Waterloo

Yorkshire Street, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Subjects
26625455560 bea3c80fcf m
Bull Brow pre-1851 It is believed that the name of this passage comes from cattle being brought to the nearby slaughterhouses. This pathway led to the River Roch where bull-baiting was a regular attraction until the fatal event of November 8th 1820, which marked the end of this savage pastime in Rochdale

Baillie Street, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Subjects