Romsey and District Society

THE SOCIETY was formed in 1974 and we now have almost 1000 members active and influential in local planning, environmental and countryside issues. We are a registered charity affiliated to the Civic Trust, the Council for the Preservation of Rural England and other national societies.
We are involved in, or have close links with Romsey Buildings Preservation Trust, King John's House, Romsey Forum and Romsey Chamber of Commerce.
Separate committees are responsible for public services, planning, the Natural Environment and social events.

http://www.romseynet.org.uk/randsociety/index.htm

ROMSEY STATION Built by the London & South Western Railway. First passenger train and steam locomotive 'Eclipse' arrived March 1st 1847. Platforms extended and subway added 1886. Troops left from here for France in the wars of 1914-1918 and 1939-1945.

Romsey Station, Station Approach, Romsey, United Kingdom

Pinchpenny House. So-called because a 19th century tax collector lived here. A centuries old passage behind the small door gives on to the Fishlake stream

6a Church Street, Romsey, United Kingdom

25 Church Street. In 1666 the home of John Cox, mayor of Romsey, the first Romsonian to swear allegiance to Charles II

25 Church Street, Romsey, United Kingdom

Subjects
48 Middlebridge Street Built circa 1700. Formerly a wool warehouse. Converted to the Elite Cinema early 20th century.

48 Middlebridge Street, Romsey, United Kingdom

La Sagesse. French Sisters dedicated to the poor and orphaned, to teaching and nursing, founded an orphanage and school here in 1891. The Congregation established a nursing home in 2005.

Provincial House, 10 The Abbey , Romsey, United Kingdom

The White Horse. Romsey's principal inn since medieval times. Sometime mail stage and coaching inn. Tudor wall paintings are visible inside

The White Horse Hotel, 19 Market Place, Romsey, United Kingdom

Berthon Boat Yard. The famous folding boats invented by the Rev E. L. Berthon, Vicar of Romsey, were made on this site circa 1870-1917

Lortemore car-park on the north wall, 19 Market Place, Romsey, United Kingdom

Gunville Gate House 1864. Served the Turnpike Road to Southampton which was re-routed from Broadlands. Built by the London and South Western Railway

Broadlands Estate, Southampton Road, Romsey, United Kingdom

The Dolphin. This building was the Dolphin Inn from the late 17C to the late 20C. The present facade was added circa 1828

Bradbeers, Cornmarket, Romsey, United Kingdom

Sadler’s Mill. Rebuilt by the first Lord Palmerston in 1748. There have been mills in this area since medieval times. This River Test Mill and salmon leap form a famous Romsey beauty spot.

Quidity Developments, Romsey, United Kingdom

Abbey Water. Congregational Chapel Burial Ground 1804 -1857 Site of the Dissenters’ Meeting House c1708 -1804. Richard Cromwell, First Lord Protector of England, worshipped here.

United Reform Congregational Church, Romsey, United Kingdom

Subjects
Station Road Boys National School and Master's House 1872 -1957 Architect William Eden Nesfield. The Town Library opened in 1968

Romsey library, Romsey, United Kingdom

Abbey Gateway. On the site of the entrance to the medieval abbey. Rebuilt by the Congregational Church 1888. Architect: Henry John Paull.

Lloyds Bank, Market Place, Romsey, United Kingdom