8183249576 7db47e36f6 m
Law Chambers Standing beside the Old Carpet Factory, this double fronted house was at one time the home of Thomas Whitty. It is now occupied by a firm of solicitors.

Silver Street, Axminster, Axminster, United Kingdom

Subjects
8183208255 3ec370fcbd m
The George Hotel The Cross Keys Inn was on this site until it was destroyed by fire in 1759. It was rebuilt and opened in 1760 as the George Hotel. It was a Coaching Inn where at least sixteen coaches a day stopped for a change of horses and a meal for the passengers. It was enlarged and extended several times, but in the 1950's part of the side against Lyme Street was removed for road safety.

George Street, Axminster, United Kingdom

8185875656 ab461145e7 m
The Old Carpet Factory. This large grey stone building was erected in 1828 on the site of Thomas Whitty's original carpet factory, which was destroyed by fire two years earlier. Closed as a factory in 1835, it was used as the towns hospital before the new hospital was built in Chard Street. Before the First World War it was the headquarters of the Territorial Battalion.

Silver Street, Axminster, United Kingdom

8185834329 43d9966142 m
Abbeyfield. Standing opposite the Old Carpet Factory, this large house was built in 1797 to replace an earlier vicarage, which was from 1834 to 1848, the home of Reverend W. D. Coneybeare, an eminent geologist and vicar of Axminster. Part of this became Abbeyfield, a home for Senior Citizens, the first in Devon.

Silver Street, Axminster, United Kingdom

Subjects
8185931470 912f446b90 m
Cattle Market. A Charter was granted to the town in 1210, which included the right to hold a weekly market. The market was held in Market Square until 1834, it was then moved to Trinity Square. The market then move to this site on 6th. October 1912 and after 94 years, sadly was closed in 2006 following the oubreak of Foot and Mouth disease.

South Street, Axminster, United Kingdom

8187988253 8aeee2e9d1 m
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. This was built in 1796 on land given or leased by John Morgan, the Parish Clerk. There is a plaque with the initials JM 1796. This building was in use until 1894 when a new Chapel was built in Lyme Road.

Castle Street, Axminster, United Kingdom

8193247485 cce970fc76 m
United Reformed Church. The first chapel of the Axminster Independent Church (later the Congregational Church, now the United Reformed Church) was built in 1698. At one time with a thatched roof, long since replaced by slates, it stands beside a larger church built in 1828 and is now used as the Church Hall. Thomas Whitty, founder of the Axminster Carpet Industry, is commemorated by a plaque on the building and is buried in the little graveyard.

Chard Street, Axminster, United Kingdom

8193246431 f4ee98ede6 m
The Regent Hall (Market Square). At one time the market was held in this open space at the top of Castle Hill, with pens for cattle and sheep. The Market House, where the meat market was held, also contained the Guildhall and the Town Stocks. The market was replaced in 1825 but without a Guildhall. The building was at one time used as a cinema, The Regent, which was the first cinema in the town.

Market Square, Axminster, United Kingdom

Subjects
8194335572 f4c8b43299 m
Edwin Dawkins & Son. Standing on the corner of Chard Street and Victoria Place, this was certainly the largest department store in this part of Devon. It has now been redeveloped, the ground floor into individual shops and the upper floor into residential flats.

Chard Street, Axminster, United Kingdom

8196586119 8f5bcefc09 m
The Old Courthouse. A house called Mallacks once stood on the site. In 1855 this was sold to the Devon Police Committee, who demolished it and had built the present building as Axminster's first Police Station. Said to be the first purpose built Police Station in Devon, the large room on the upper floor was used for the County Court and the Court of the Petty Sessions.There are two cells at the rear. A small house, now used as a cafe, was the home of the Police Sergeant and family. Two constables were housed in the main building. This building now houses the Tourist Information Office, the Town Museum, a Senior Citizens Centre and the Arts Cafe.

Church Street, Axminster, United Kingdom

8196584279 74710df810 m
Rose Cottage. Listed Grade II Property. Thought to date from circa 1630. The last thatched property within the town. Many original features including the Old Pump within the garden frontage, timbered ceilings, cob walls, inglenook fireplace, lath and plaster finishing and flagstone flooring.

South Street, Axminster, United Kingdom

8197675376 678a97322f m
Archway Bookshop. Probably built in the 13th. Century, this building, although it's original purpose is uncertain, was open on the ground floor to allow the passage of carts. A stone stairway to the left-hand side of the door, possibly used as a hayloft or accommodation for the carters. During the 1700's it was converted to a private house, Church Cottage. In the 1960's it was used by a dental technician, becoming a bookshop in 1966. The arch forming the doorway is probably a window brought from Newenham Abbey, which was located south of the town and founded in 1246. It was surrendered to the commissioners of Henry VIII in 1539 and was demolished almost immediately. Stone from the Abbey has been used in many local buildings.

Church Street, Axminster, United Kingdom