Rotary Club of Kings Lynn Trinity

In 2005 Trinity embarked on a project to erect a number of green plaques to commemorate historic buildings in the King's Lynn area which were not already signed.

http://www.rotary-ribi.org/clubs/homepage.asp?ClubID=1672

21346738029 879decb226 m
Bank Lane Arches Tower Gardens. The gardens were laid out in 1911 to mark the Coronation of King George V. Previously this part of the Greyfriars had been used to hold cattle awaiting Market. These C14 arches were resited from a building at Bank Lane / Ferry Street demolished in 1910.

Bank Lane Arches Tower Gardens, Millfleet, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Greyfriars Tower. This late C14 lantern tower stood over the central crossing of the C13 Franciscan Priory Church on this sit c.1230-1538. The Greyfriars attracted academics and wealthy patrons. It was retained as a shipmark for the harbour when the priory was dismantled and its stones reused in the town.

St. James' Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

31405488803 f362c1555a m
Ladybridge Opposite this plaque, on the old road to London, stood a chapel of Our Lady from c1329 until 1549; later used as a house. This road bridge was rebuilt by the town's Paving Commissioners in 1806, and Millfleet itself was covered over in 1897.

Ladybridge, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Lynn Museum Built in 1859 as the Union Baptist Chapel (designed by R. M. Smith), with Sunday schoolrooms added to the east in 1867. It became the town museum and art gallery in 1904. Altered in the 1960s and restored in 2005.

Old Market Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
St Ann's Fort. This open square and the brick arched wall to the north are the last traces of the gun battery known as Saint Ann's Fort. Built in 1570 it was repaired and re-gunned against various seaborne threats to the town, 1625-1815.

St Annes Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

4613032294 dc62564b2f m
1-2 High Street Site of Coney's House c1450 -1816. Walter Coney, merchant, was Mayor 1453, 1460, 1469, 1474, 1476 and MP for Lynn.

1-2 High Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32214385645 3a5e5a9562 m
27 King Street St George's Chambers. Altered by Dutch merchant families, the limestone house front is 1739 and the finely-detailed rear wing is c1695. After 1814 this property also owned the Guidhall warehouses, and included Everard & Blencowe's Bank from 1826-61. Offices after 1930 (museum 1973-1992).

27 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31416070683 b4fc50ccbe m
23-25 King Street. An early 17th century house built with a central passage reflecting two medieval hall house plots. The rear crow-stepped gables are rare for King's Lynn. Refronted early in the 18th century the house was divided into two by 1810. In 1988/90 it was restored as one property.

23-25 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32069965722 0d0b8f6cb3 m
Burkitt Homes. Almshouses built in 1909 in memory of William Burkitt, maltster and seed merchant. Mayor 1863 & 1886.

Queen Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31408754263 bd1001cf18 m
St Margaret's Vicarage Built c.1830 for a Lynn merchant, this house has been the Vicarage since 1912. From the previous house on this site novelist Fanny Burney (1752-1840) observed the social life of Lynn, staying there as a regular visitor.

St Margaret's Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31841027290 a262331d8e m
2 St Margaret's Place On this site stood Sparrow Hall, owned between 1393-1513 by the Town Council. Behind the restyled exterior stands a late 15th century house, occupied since 1513 by merchants, doctors and a vicar.

2 St Margaret's Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31850826520 d528378a35 m
9 Nelson Street A branch of the influential Bagge merchant family lived here 1766-1839. The late 15th century door displays the town's Pelican badge. The front facade was 'latched' c.1703.

9 Nelson Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31377694924 6afe74785b m
The home of the 'Samuel' Browne dynasty of merchants who lived and ran their business from here for a century up to 1784. The building dates from the 17t century and was refronted c.1730.

15 Nelson Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Frederick Savage (1828-97) A machine maker in Lynn from 1851, he became renowned for steam engines used on fairground rides and patented the 'galloping horses'. Mayor 1889. Statue erected 1892, and restored in 1992, aided by the Showmens' Guild of Great Britain.

Guanock Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

3868958006 3f944cf262 m
Lattice House. Built c.1480 as a range of 3 shops and houses with later cross wings. The south end has been an Inn since at least 1714 and other parts occupied by St Nicholas Church staff. A very fine open hall and crown-post roofs can be seen inside. Restored 1981-2.

37-41 Chapel Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

31832666140 f71f14b9a5 m
7-9 King Street A large C14 Hall House stands behind a C15 front range, altered later; with a brick front c.1830. The warehouses towards the river were typical of a Lynn merchant's yard, and possibly part of the Corpus Christi Gild property until 1548.

7-9 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

31843095140 8befb119a7 m
1 King Street Sir John Turner (1632-1712) merchant lived here. Mayor 1678 & 1692, M.P. for Lynn, patron of Henry Bell, architect. The Custom House and Duke's Head Hotel were built for him.

1 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
3511522534 8212fa1192 m
Ralph Vaughan Williams (1876-1958) Searching for English folk songs the young composer visited King's Lynn and district in January 1905 and collected 61 in a week. The fisherfolk of the North End impressed Ralph Vaughan Williams particularly James "Duggie" Carter (aged 61). Their songs influenced several of his orchestral works including three "Norfolk Rhapsodies" and "A Sea Symphony". Ralph Vaughan Williams met the fisherfolk in January 1905 in this public house then called "The Tilden Smith"

Hextable Road, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32219261205 984583a1b7 m
Outer Purfleet Purfleet was the main harbour inlet of medieval Lynn, and originally much wider. Purfleet Quay was built in 1547. On this site stood Hull Warehouse (c1680), a tall granary (c1900), and then grain silos (1964-92). The dock was created in 2000, as a Millennium Project.

Purfleet Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32088618651 69b4ab7eed m
28-32 King Street Within 30-32 are the remains of a stone house built c.1200, the oldest in Lynn. About 1300, the timber framed row of houses and shops at 28-30 was built over and beside the stone house.

28-32 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

3868175099 02b0faeed0 m
Tudor Rose Hotel C15 front door and crown post roof in hall range on the left, joined by a first floor gallery to St Nicholas' House, to the right (a classical east gable is dated 1645). These buildings faced north into the courtyard of a mansion house, until 1895. Restored in 1972-74, and extended as an hotel.

Tudor Rose Hotel, Nicholas Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

31377673264 815db6ec00 m
Site of Thoresbys' House. The Thoresby family of merchants and landowners lived here between c.1427-1510. Thomas Claiborne (c1557-1607), merchant and Mayor, lived here. His son William (1600-77) was a co-founder of the Virginia colony in 1621.

Queen Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32070231732 ced8a75495 m
King John (1167-1216) Granted Lynn a charter in 1204 at the request of the Bishop of Norwich who retained the lordship of the town. Lynn was raised to borough status with the rights of local jurisdiction and government including a merchant gild to oversee commerce and soon a mayor. The royal charter was a milestone in the history of Lynn, reflecting its rapid growth over the previous century to become the fourth port of the Kingdom by 1204. King John began his last fateful journey from Lynn in October 1216 when his baggage train was lost in the Wash as he travelled via Wisbech to Newark where he died. Though the 1204 charter gave the town a degree of political independence it was 'Bishops Lynn' until 1537 when another charter from Henry VIII created 'King's Lynn' ousting 'Our Lord of Norwich'.

Guildhall, Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
21489863366 5713071da4 m
The original Theatre Royal stood on this site from 7th February 1815 to 10th May 1936 when it was destroyed by fire. Many famous actors performed here including Charles Kemble, Mrs Dora Jordan, Joseph Grimaldi, Edmund Kean, William Charles Macready and Mrs Beerbohm Tree.

Theatre Royal, St James Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
21522903862 38a9458a63 m
Savings Bank Designed in imposing 'tudor-gothic' style in 1858, the Lynn Savings Bank hoped to inspire the confidence of local savers! The town's armorial bearings include the pelican badge, and the shield is on the rainwater pipes. The bank had opened in 1817 in the High Street.

High Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Tower Street Methodist Chapel. This brick pillar was the end of the forecourt railings of the town's principal Weslyan chapel from 1812 to 1965. Affectionately known as the 'Methodist Minister' the chapel stood in place of the modern Regent Way, on a site which had previously been the synagogue.

Regent Way, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

4613137906 ecfe079789 m
The Holy Trinity Gild This is the Trinity Chapel at St. Margaret's Church designed by Francis Goodwin in 1809, after the removal of the C13-15 Gild chapel to enlarge the market place in 1808. The 'Great Gild' was the premier merchant gild, leading the town from c1200 to 1545.

St Margaret's Church, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
3365081202 17310c9db1 m
Railway Station Originally a wooden building opened in 1846, it was rebuilt by Robert Skipper of Dereham for the Great Eastern Railway in 1871-72, when this was the terminus for three lines across the Fens and Norfolk. Enlarged, and the present buffet lounge built, in 1910.

Blackfriars Rd, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

4616162085 ae026a134b m
Pilot Office Built 1864 with view of the Estuary Cut to the north, replacing site at St Ann's Fort in the old river course. Linked with the former Public Baths (built 1856) to create the Conservancy Board (port authority) offices 1897.

Common Staith Quay, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

4616248287 b8f8d6be61 m
Common Staithe The line of coping stones across the car park was until 1855 the edge of the town's main public quay. The opening of the Estuary Cut to The Wash caused the riverbank to form farther west. A promenade was built in 1990.

Common Staith Quay, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

31377769204 e8eafd6ccf m
Gaol House. This building of 1784 housed the town gaoler and replaced an earlier gaoler's house. In the prison yad behind are some 18th century cells. This was the town Police Station until 1954.

Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31842177560 73f97de50f m
Baker Lane Oil Cake Mill In 1899 a four-storey linseed oil mill and warehouse here was destroyed by fire. Rebuilt for Henry Leake & Son in 1900, making linseed cake for cattle feed. This tower became a granary after 1945, and was retained as part of a courtyard of apartments built in 1985-87.

Baker Lane, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
3451075134 8ccf81d4fd m
King's Staithe Mill. Built in 1749 by William Langley, merchant and Mayor, as a mill for the production of oil from rape seed. After 1800 it was used as a granary and later as an animal feed mill.

King's Staithe Mill, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31408605163 c77d4fa9a3 m
29 King Street Shakespeare House This is a late C15 'hall house' of timber and brick with an 1810 front wall, and added rooms c1780 beside the Guildhall. Formerly the Shakespeare public house, this name referred to the Guildhall's use as a theatre in 1766-1814.

29 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31370813264 fc5ef48c15 m
(opposite this plaque is the) Custom House Built as a Merchant's Exchange in 1683 by Henry Bell for Sir John Turner. Altered in 1718 and 1744. From 1693 to 1989 this was the Port Office for HM Customs, and it is "one of the finest late 17C public buildings in provincial England" (N Pevsner)

Purfleet Quay, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31417308203 0d66578e69 m
Bank House King's Staithe Square Site of the medieval Tolbooth, facing Bishop's Staithe. House of 1682, and a former Custom House. West wing built c1750. In 1782 became Gurney & Birkbeck's Lynn Bank, with a Counting House built in 1788.

King's Staithe Square, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
4613141936 eece5aab34 m
Saturday Market Place. A separate charnel chapel of St. John stood here from 1364 to 1779, and a row of butchers' Shambles in front. The new Shambles was built with a Grammar School room above, and demolished in 1914 to enlarge the market place.

Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
3515459897 748d2c404d m
Juniper House, Austin Street. This building is named after Councillor Fred Juniper (1918-99). In 36 years of public service he was Mayor of King's Lynn 1975-76 and Borough Mayor of West Norfolk in 1995-96.

Juniper House, Austin Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom