http://www.rotary.org/en/Pages/ridefault.aspx

22474155425 481f258e43 m
St. Richards. Site of Dominican Friary of St. Richard. Founded 1256 by Edmund de Lacey and dedicated to his former tutor Richard de la Wyche, Bishop of Chichester. Duke of York and Earls of Salisbury and Rutland buried here after the battle of Wakefield 1460. Dissolved 1538.

, Pontefract, United Kingdom

4190776 fa9ec0c4 120x120
Salter Row First recorded in 1368 "Salterrowe". The street of the salt merchants.

Pontefract Museum, Salter Row, Pontefract, United Kingdom

Subjects
26727489773 120d5a43ca m
Micklegate First recorded 1190 "Magus Vico", the Great Street. Horsefair first recorded 1742 refers to the space in the road where the fair was held and not to the street itself.

Horsefair, Pontefract, United Kingdom

Subjects
4190750 5689ac78 120x120
Gillygate First recorded about 1240. The street leading to St. Giles Church and formerly the main approach to the town from the south.

Connexions, Gillygate, Pontefract, United Kingdom

Subjects
4190470 a684745d 120x120
The Market Hall Built in 1859-60 to the designs of Joseph Wilson. Opened by the Prime Minister Viscount Palmerston. This side of Market Place, known in the 17th century as the Shambles, has been designated for the sale of fresh meat since the 14th century. The lane behind was known as Pudding Middens. Rebuilt 1957.

Market Hall, Pontefract, United Kingdom

Subjects
22475926725 039f97c5c9 m
Red Lion Hotel One of the oldest established inns in Pontefract. Present facade designed by Robert Adam in 1776 for Sir Rowland Winn of Nostell Priory.

, Pontefract, United Kingdom

Subjects
4190271 b525012e 120x120
Buttercross Erected in 1734 to shelter people selling dairy produce. Replaced pre-Conquest St Oswald's Cross. Posthumous gift of Solomon Dupeer. Tradition asserts that Solomon Dupeer was responsible for betraying Gibraltar to the British in 1704. 18th century benches survive.

middle of Pontefract Market Place, Pontefract, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Liquorice. Liquorice was introduced to Pontefract as a medicinal plant in the Middle Ages. It was probably brought by crusaders returning from the Middle East to Pontefract Castle or by monks travelling to the town's monasteries. This road links Dunhill's, founded in 1760, and now Haribo, to the former liquorice works of Robinson and Wordsworth founded in 1877.

Haribo, Cornmarket, Pontefract, United Kingdom

Subjects
4241485860 226518bf74 m
St. Joseph's. Built in 1806 before the Catholic Emancipation of 1829. Replaces mission church St. Michael of Carleton Green, founded about 1685 by Father Hammerton S.J. of Purston

St. Joseph's Church, Pontefract, United Kingdom

Subjects
26727488953 562e2c5aec m
Baxtergate. First mentioned 1421. The street of the bakers.

Baxtergate, Pontefract, United Kingdom

Subjects
4543170266 b7b1f101e2 m
Town Hall and Assembly Rooms. The Town Hall built in 1785, designed by Bernard Hartley, served as Council Chamber, Magistrates Court, prison, bank, fire station and public hall. Assembly Rooms added 1882 by Perkin and Bulmer.

Town Hall, Baxtergate, Pontefract, United Kingdom

Subjects
7289418778 fa78664750 m
17 Church Street This bank was designed by Samuel Worth and built in 1837 as the head office of the Sheffield and Hallamshire Bank. It became part of Midland Bank in 1913, before which it was one of the last independent banks in England. In 1992 Midland became a member of the HSBC Group, one of the world's largest banking and financial services organisations. Church Street branch is the main Midland branch in Sheffield

17 Church Street, Sheffield, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
William Marsden (1796-1867) was born in a house close to this site in August 1796. As a young man, he left Sheffield to study at St. Bartholomew's Hospital and was admitted a member of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1827. In 1828, he founded the country's first free hospital, the Royal Free Hospital, which was base don the principle "the disease and poverty should be the only claims for admission" In 1851, following the death of his wife from cancer, he opened a cancer hospital which is now known as the Royal Marsden.

Watson's Walk, Angel Street, Sheffield, United Kingdom

Subjects
7329244794 6003e063ce m
The Cutlers' Hall The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire in the County of York were incorporated in 1624 and were responsible for the affairs of the cutlery industry - for centuries a main source of employment in Hallamshire. The first hall was built on this site in 1638, the second in 1725, and the present hall in 1832. Designed by Samuel Worth and Benjamin Broomhead Taylor, it is acknowledge as one of the finest livery halls in the country. It has been extended twice - in 1867 and in 1888.

Cutlers' Hall, Church Street, Sheffield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sheffield town hall plaque
Sheffield Town Hall Sheffield was granted its city charter in 1893 and the town hall was built to reflect its importance as one of Britain's great industrial cities. The exterior is of Stoke stone from Grindleford in Derbyshire. F W Pomeroy supervised the carvings, and the sculptured frieze represents Sheffield industries. Each part is 36 feet long, the same width as the Parthenon. The tower is 210 feet high and surmounted by the figure of Vulcan. Each clock face is eight feet six inches in diameter.

Town Hall, Sheffield, United Kingdom

14571318073 a210ef4251 m
Central Library/Graves Gallery Alderman John George Graves (1866-1945) was born in Lincolnshire, moving to Sheffield and establishing several manufacturing businesses, and a highly successful mail-order operation.A dedicated Salvationist, he became one of the city's greatest philanthropists, to which the Graves Art Gallery, Graves Park and much else besides testify.

Central Library and Graves Art Gallery, Surrey Street, Sheffield, United Kingdom

12540493925 2974d4fa61 m
John Brown John Brown (1816-1896), one of the greatest of the Victorian industrialist, was born in Orchard Square, in what was then Favell's Yard. He was apprenticed in nearby Orchard Place before setting up his first steelmaking workshop in 1844 at number 24 Orchard Street. Inventor of the conical spring railway buffer and pioneer manufacturer of railway lines and armour plate, his name lived on into the twentieth century through the steel forgings produced at Firth Brown for the famous battleships and liners built at the John Brown Shipyards, Clydebank.

Favell's Yard, Orchard Square, Sheffield, United Kingdom

Subjects
8325301967 a6c939ca62 m
The Rotary Club of Solihull presented this stone and beech tree to the people of Solihull in celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II 2012 Sixty Glorious Years Stone donated and installed by Earlswood Garden & Landscape Centre & Mid Wales Stone The beech tree donated by Earlwood Plants Ltd Design by Solihull Council Landscape Architecture, Ecology and Urban Design

Malvern Park, New Road, Solihull, United Kingdom

10005724725 cff686f669 m
Site of the North Gate between Bailey and City. Rebuilt 1420 Removed 1820, former County Gaol.

51 Saddler Street, Durham, United Kingdom

22469022835 bd3377d1d6 m
Bishop Cosin's Almshouses 1666 replacing Bishop Langley's Song and Grammar Schools 1414.

The Alms Houses, Palace Green, Durham, United Kingdom

22480111101 9beb2c2083 m
Moatside Lane. Mediaeval pilgrim's route to the Cathedral.

Moatside Lane, Durham, United Kingdom

10006384525 3965618246 m
Former Exchequer and Chancery of The Palatinate. Built for Bishop Neville (1438-57)

University Library, Palace Green, Durham, United Kingdom

10006582516 790f167220 m
Bishop Cosin's Library 1669 entrusted to the university 1935

University Library, Palace Green, Durham, United Kingdom

10007059653 8024ff6fb5 m
Cathedral Grammar School 1661-1844.

Durham University Dept. of Music, Palace Green, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
12540485705 0a085089ae m
Sheffield City Hall The construction of this Grade II listed building began in 1928, providing regular employment for Sheffield workers during the Great Depression. The opening in September 1932 was seen as the beginning of a new era of prosperity. Comprising three main halls and continually offering a wide variety of cultural and community events, the City Hall is one of the regions principal entertainment venues.

City Hall, Barker's Pool, Sheffield, United Kingdom