34658877022 eee9a6f5d9 m
Swinton Public Gardens 1901 Located in the garden is a memorial to Noah Robinson, erected in 1901 to mark his services to the district. Noah was a mill owner and church warden and is recognised as being one of the founding fathers of Swinton. Noah was the driving force behind provision of education, highways and sanitation in Swinton.

Chorley Road, Swinton, United Kingdom

Subjects
34689016231 a8e5c949db m
St Peter's Church Consecrated 1869 Consecrated on 2nd October 1869, the church was built by George Edward Street, at a cost of £18,000. The listed building is of gothic design with eye catching steeply pitched roofs covered in green, blue and grey slates which form diamond patterns. The church has magnificent stained windows by famous glass artists, depicting biblical scenes. At the front of the church is a 1922 Lychgate which is unusual in that it is also a memorial to the Fallen of the First World War. Inside is inscribed with the names of those how lost their lives. There is also a panel containing soil from the Western Front.

Chorley Road, Swinton, United Kingdom

Subjects
34781194866 3742075b50 m
Unitarian Church 1858-1985 The Unitarian Church was built in 1858 and demolised in 1985. The church originally stood on Jane Lane, now known as Swinton Hall Road. The church had a steep gable roof, lancet windows and was built in red and white brick.

Swinton Hall Road, Swinton, United Kingdom

Subjects
34434602020 ce19bcd353 m
White Lion Public House A home of the Swinton Lions Built circa 1790 The White Lion was built in 1790 and is Swinton's fourth oldest pub. In 1873 the fledgling Swinton Rugby Club (formed 1866) moved from a playing off Burying Lane (now Station Road), to another field opposite the pub at Stoneacre. At this time the club switched its HQ from the Bull's Head to the White Lion, and remained there following a further relocation to the adjacent but larger Chorley Road ground in 1886. The pub provided dressing rooms until 1898. Thanks to these links with the pub, in about 1874 the club gained its historic nickname "The Lions" which remains to this day

Worsley Road, Swinton, United Kingdom

Subjects
34797459705 30c9bfab25 m
Swinton Hall c.1740s-1914 Swinton Hall Road which was once known as Jane Lane, gets its name from a large house which originally stood on the site of the present day shopping precinct. Its original inhabitants were cotton merchants called Strettel, although it was the Chadwick family that made improvements between 1742 and 1851. Chadwick Walk and Chadwick Street recall this family name. The hall was rebuilt and relocated in the early 1800s, to a site now covered by the junction of Clarendon Road and Swinton Hall Road. The house had a fine conservatory and was set in large open grounds at the brow of a hill, overlooking a lake which bordered Chorley Road. The house and grounds were largely demolished in the 1870s to make way for terraced houses, but part of the house survived until the early 20th century.

Swinton Hall Road, Swinton, United Kingdom

Subjects
16821672626 3b63d05090 m
In tribute to Councillor Leslie Hough, Leader of Salford City Council 1974-1987. In recognition of his contribution to the regeneration of Salford Docks.

Trafford Road, Salford, United Kingdom

Subjects