Scarborough Historical Society

The Scarborough Historical Society (Ontario) has celebrated and preserved the history of our community since its first meeting in 1956. The Society’s mandate is to preserve, promote and stimulate an interest in the history of Scarborough. This is a community built by the efforts of immigrants who overcame many challenges to prosper here. It continues to develop and grow as new waves of immigration bring an exciting diversity and new perspectives to the continuing story of Scarborough.

http://www.scarboroughhistorical.com/

Agincourt School School Section #14 was formed in January 1913 to serve the rapidly growing community of Agincourt. Mr. W.H. Paterson donated 1.2 hectares of land and the following year a four room brick building was erected at a cost of $12,000. Initially, only two rooms were needed so the trustees decided to offer secondary education, which had previously been available only in Markham. In 1915, Form I (Grade 9) began and Form II was added the following year. Thus Agincourt Continuation School was begun, and offered three years of secondary education by 1920. Agincourt students still travelled to Markham for their junior Matriculation until a new high school was built in 1930 on the east side of Midland Avenue. Since then, the original schoolhouse has continued to offer elementary education.

29 Lockie Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Christie's Methodist Cemetery Issac Christie and his wife, Isabella Graeme, came to Scarborough from Armagh, Ireland, and in 1836 purchased 40 hectares of Clergy Reserve land in Lot 33, Con. IV. This land had been rented and cleared for farming by Josué L'Amoreaux and his sons, United Empire Loyalists of French Huguenot origin, who settled here in 1808. In 1846 the Wesleyan Methodists of this area, led by Reverend T. Turner, built a small frame church amid the fields of Christie's farm. These settlers and their descendants worshipped here for 80 years. After the congregation was absorbed into the United Church in 1925, the chapel was closed. In 1936, a fire destroyed nearby St. Paul's Church and the Anglicans used Christie's Chapel until their church was rebuilt. The old chapel was closed again in 1938 and later dismantled and reconstructed at Buttonville as a community hall.

Bridlewood Mall, Warden Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects