http://www.sidvaleassociation.org.uk/index.php?page=blue-plaques

14953183670 c2d3aecf75 m
Fortfield Terrace - No. 1 On 21st and 22nd May 1806, the Princess of Wales stayed with Lord and Lady Gwydir when they occupied this house before removing to "Old Hayes"

1 Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
14724153707 b0f34dcc09 m
Fortfield Terrace Built 1790-94 on Manor Land by Polish architect and speculative builder, Michael Novosielski, who died before its completion. From 24th June to 24th August 1831 Grand Duchess Helena of Russia, Sister-in-Law of the Czar, rented No. 8 for herself and No. 7 for her entourage. Visit commemorated by double-headed eagle, symbol of Imperial Russia, on the central pediment. In 1831 the father of Elizabeth Barrett Browning with his family rented No. 8 for a year.

Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
14724105160 948ab31253 m
Fortfield and cricket pavilion Field named after gun emplacement overlooking sea: demolished after Napoleonic Wars. A regiment of troops was garrisoned on the Field early in the War. Cricket first played here in 1823 and first "Cricket House" erected in 1827. A meeting in the Pavilion following a match between the Gentlemen of Devon and the Gentlemen of Somerset in August 1875 resulted in the formation of Somerset County Cricket Club. Present Pavilion dates from 1880's.

Sidmouth Cricket Club, The Fortfield, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
8112438072 192cb7f63d m
The Mocha 18th C. thatched "Shed" acquired by John Wallis and rebuilt as 2-storey brick building with a billiard room on 1st floor. On ground floor town's first Library opened 20th June. 1809 incorporating a new "Shed" with benches round walls and front open to sea. The Library was known for many years afterwards coloquially as the "Shed".

The Esplanade, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
8112438894 d8f552fbc5 m
Stephen Reynolds 1881 - 1919 Fisherman's Friend. Social Reformer and author worked here.

Hope Cottage, Church Street, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
8112429489 632ee75848 m
Old Ship One of Sidmouth's oldest buildings dating back to 14th C. It was for centuries a rendezvous for smugglers and a place for the storing of contraband. By 19th. c. it had become a notorious Doss House for vagrants.

Old Fore Street, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

4181954 388fbfae 120x120
Alma Bridge In 1855, Mrs. Cornish, wife of the Lord of the Manor of Salcombe Regis, allowed the Sid Vale Association to construct Alma Bridge (named after Battle of Alma 1854), at a cost of £26.10s. Timbers came from the vessel "Laurel" wrecked on Sidmouth beach; steps cut into Hanger linked it to cliff path. Bridge repaired 1877 after heavy storm damage. In 1900 Sidmouth Council commissioned architect R.W.Sampson to design present bridge and by 1902 zig-zag path up Hanger completed for £150. Ham Field, then known as "The Marsh" had been presented to the town for public recreation in 1896.

Alma Bridge, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
8112439292 b8be9a9bb3 m
Old Meeting The old Dissenting Chapel (Unitarian) erected 1710 on site of former barn at rear of White Hart Inn. Congregation moved from premises in Theatre Lane (East St.). Later rebuilding in part due to efforts of local benefactress, Miss Leigh-Browne.

High Street, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

8142151588 f5b3004160 m
Beach House The first building on Sidmouth's seafront, built c. 1790 in plain Georgian style with thatched "Shed" (open fronted shelter) attached. The "Shed" much frequented by gentry as meeting place. Gothicised c. 1826 and named "Blossom House". Fine example of Sidmouth Gothic architecture.

The Esplanade, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
8112426937 94e268b676 m
Clifton House and Connaught House Nos.4 and 5 Clifton Place, built c. 1810 and c. 1805 as lodging houses by Mr. Heffer, a prosperous local fisherman, and called Heffer's Row. Sometime in 1810 No5 was rented by Lord Le Despencer while he was building Knowle Cottage. Originally both thatched, a fire in 1944 severely damaged No.5 which was rebuilt in 1848.

Peak Hill Road, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
8112428865 ca57f6f2df m
Formally The London Hotel & Sidmouth Assembly Rooms The starting point for the London coach & from late 18th CT. scene of social gatherings in the town & in 1831 the Russian Band of Grand Duchess Helene played & on the 22nd August 1840 Franz Liszt gave a piano recital.

Fore Street, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

8158668439 1afa310869 m
Woodlands. Formerly "Old Hayes". A late medieval manor house. Transformed to a fashionable "cottage orne"where Lord Gwydir Chamberlain to the Prince Regent entertained his society friends 1806-1817.

Station Road, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
8159041944 556b04937f m
The Kingswood. Formerly Sidmouth Brine Baths. One of the sea-front lodging houses, a Georgian 3-storey bow windowed building stood on this site. Demolished 1893 and replaced by hot & cold Brine Baths. During 1914-18 war, many casualties treated for effects of wounds. By 1920 dilapidated and impoverished, they were closed, but after modernisation re-opened in 1924 by Mrs. J.E.H. Balfour, wife of the Lord of the Manor. They closed finally in 1935. Local Proclamation of accession of King George V read from upstairs balcony to huge crowd 7th. May 1910.

The Esplanade, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
1314267 a01d4479 120x120
Royal York Hotel. Sidmouth's first purpose built hotel opened 1810. In Oct. 1819 the Duke of Kent first visited Sidmouth. A copy of the famous Long Print of Sidmouth was presented to him at the hotel by John Wallis. The Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, stayed here with his tutor on 30th Sept. 1856, whilst on a private educational tour of South West.

The Esplanade, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
8159108265 8d6f1962ff m
Sidmouth Lifeboat Station (Site) Occupied this site 1869-1912 during which time 38 lives were saved. The Station was served by the boats "Rimington" 1869-85 and "William and Frances" 1885-1912. On 23rd. May 1881 "Rimington" brought T.R.H. the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh ashore after their pinnace from H.M.S. Lively nearly capsized. Original doorcase only survives adjoining.

Ham Lane, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
14814799470 4fb1790444 m
Belmont. Near this gateway stood a small fort with armoury and flag staff, dating from the mid 17th.C., but demolished after the Battle of Waterloo 1815. Gateway belonged to "Belmont" a crenellated Regency House with large walled garden. Built 1817 by Maj. Barnes. Sold 1818 to Sir Joseph Scott BT., 1752-1828, who on retirement from politics became active in development of Regency Sidmouth. 1869 acquired by William Hine-Haycock. A member of M.C.C. he did much to promote development of the cricket club. Became home of Mr. & Mrs. Wood 1896. A man of wealth and benefactor of Sidmouth, he gave town it's first steam fire engine and, as a memorial to his wife, presented Church House to the Church and its land to the Town. He died 1908 age 90. Converted to Hotel 1920.

The Esplanade, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
8112437316 33e1dc91d5 m
Clock Tower An 18th C. lime kiln stood on cliff top at Jacob's Ladder, the chalk brought by boat and carried up on donkeys. Changes in agriculture brought its decline. Later incorporated into grounds of "Sea View". Formed foundations of pseudo-fort with clocktower, lookout, and boathouse complete with boat on davits.

Connaught Gardens, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

8112427325 289f174969 m
Connaught Gardens Originally gardens of Cliff Cottage c. 1820. Birthplace in 1834 of Constance Emily Kent, who aged 16 was imprisoned for 20 years for murder of baby stepbrother in revenge for father's marriage to governess. On release she emigrated to Melbourne, becoming famous for her nursing work and a celebrated centenarian. The house, much altered, renamed "Sea View" and near derelict by 1930 was purchased by Sidmouth U.D.C. for £3,500 and demolished.

Peak Hill Road, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bedford Hotel Formerly the Royal Marine Library of John Wallis, Bookseller by Appointment to the Duke and Duchess of Kent. Established here c. 1813. Publisher, bookseller and business associate of R Ackerman of Strand, London. Much knowledge of early 19th C. Sidmouth comes from Wallis's publications and topographical prints. The Library was badly damaged in the great storm of 22nd Nov 1824, the Wallis family only just escaping

Esplanade, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
1139172 1ed07608 120x120
Rock Cottage The first house at Clifton, built 1794 in plain Georgain style, in Regency times a lodging house. Damaged in a storm in 1836 its sea wall amongst first constructed. Burnt 1908 it was rebuilt as thatches cottage orne by eminent local architect R.W.Sampson (1866-1950) retaining only verandah from old house. Associated with Wills family of tobacco fame. Gifted 1989 under will of Dr. Russell Vernon for benefit of the National Trust.

Peak Hill Road, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
8112438218 dda52f8d4d m
No 3 High Street (now No 10). From 1849-92, this early Victorian house was home to Harriet (1812-92) and Samuel Chick II (1811-80), son of Abigail and Samuel Chick I of Berry Barton, Branscombe. Abigail's business acumen transformed cottage lace industry of Beer and Branscombe, just as her son's business was to open up nationwide market to lace makers of Sid Valley. Materials supplied and completed "sprigs" were returned for making up in rear upstairs workroom. Sent to London and sold by their son, Samuel Chick III from 5, Newman St., as "Honiton" lace (reputation gained in late 18th c. for lace trade which was in decline due to changing fashions.

10, High Street, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
14874372846 5d049812e5 m
Clifton Cottage Built 1826 by Emmanuel Baruh Lousada of Peak House, one of the first Jewish landowners in England, as a summerhouse. Let soon afterwards to Henry Hasler, artist and drawing master. It was enlarged in 19th c, gutted by fire in 1909. It was subsequently rebuilt in Regency style.

Peak Hill Road, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
14845589307 e5bed737af m
Royal Glen formerly Woolbrook Cottage First named "King's Cottage" from a Mr. King who transformed a modest farmhouse into a Sidmouth Gothic Villa with Regency interiors. Purchased by mother of Gen. Baynes and renamed "Woolbridge Cottage" it was rented to the Duke of Kent. He resided there with the Duchess and their daughter, the future Queen Victoria, over Christmas 1819 taken ill with pneumonia he died in Jan. 1820 The Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, visited the house 1st Oct. 1856. It is a Grade 1 Listed Building

Glen Road, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
14859906000 0d885b2808 m
Glenside Built as a thatched villa in 1905 the house was gutted by fire 2 years later and reconstructed. Requisitioned by the government in World War 2 the Royal Air Force established the first Dental Hygienist Training School in the U.K. on 7 May 1943, aimed at improving oral hygiene of serving airmen and personnel. Thereafter dental hygienists were accepted into the dental profession and now train in hospitals nationwide. In co-operation with the R.A.F. Institute of Dental Health and Training this plaque was affixed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the School's foundation.

Manor Road, Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Subjects