The Town Hall 1853-1905
The New Town Hall was erected by public subscription to the design of Horace Jones, architect to the Corporation of the City of London. The builder was W.P. James.
The foundation stone was laid by Mr Walter Coffin in 1849.
Remains of old walls, large buildings & a circular well stairway were unearthed as the foundations were dug out.
Described in 1853 as a very handsome building, the new Town Hall included the Assizes and County Courts, the Post Office, Police Station and Fire Brigade & remained the administrative centre of the borough until the opening of the City Hall in Cathays Park in 1905
Hodge House - Guildhall Place, Cardiff, United Kingdom