St Barnabas Gardens
'A beacon light, the influence of which would spread throughout their beloved land'
Dedicated to honour the memory of Canon D.H. Hall of St Barnabas Parish, "the building parson".
He established the St. Barnabas Public Utility Society
which initiated a house building project of over
170 homes in East Wall and North Strand from 1921 to 1926, beginning with St Barnabas Gardens.
Significantly, women were consulted on the architectural design of these innovative houses.
His work greatly influenced housing policy throughout Dublin and Ireland, inspiring the construction of 17,000 'self help' houses nationwide in the 1920s and 1930s
Erected by the community in 2015 with deep gratitude from all who benefited from Canon Hall's desire 'to render happy the lives of many who were existing under conditions too awful to be described'.
Strangford Gardens, Dublin, Ireland