16175987583 35d6506ee5 m
In 985 AD King Ethelred granted land around here to the Lady Wulfrun. Who in turn granted extensive lands to the monastery at Heantune in 994. She wanted to create a minster church with a college of priests who would go out and preach the gospel to people in outlying districts. Soon her name was combined with the original name to become Wulfrenchamplonia and a short time later to Wolverhampton. On the steps you can see an except from the second charter in which Lady Wulfrun grants land to the monastery.

Steps to St Peter's Collegiate Church from St Peter's Square - St Peter's Gardens, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom

16607998559 599b5ccffc m
This is the Oldest place in Wolverhampton. Wolverhampton has a long history stretching back to Anglo-Saxon times and beyond. Once this high sandstone ridge was within the powerful Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia.

St Peter's Gardens, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom

16794831335 900686d237 m
This is the Oldest place in Wolverhampton. By the 10th century it's importance had increased and a monastery had been established at what had been a royal estate or settlement. St Peter's Church and Gardens now stand on what was probably the site of the ancient monastery.

St Peter's Gardens, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom

16171761934 ae1268b15c m
This Cross Shaft possibly dates to the 9th Century A.D. and is all that remains of the Anglo-Saxon Monastery. Originally it may have been a Roman column brought from Viriconium near Wroxter in Shropshire. You can still see the remains of the elaborate carving that once covered the upper part of the shaft. But the head of the cross has disappeared.

St Peter's Gardens, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom

16586786317 44cd41e95e m
Folklore has it that people finalised deals by shaking hands through the hole in this stone during medieval times. You can imagine the buyers and sellers striking deals over wool from the Welsh marches on market days. It is probably a gargoyle and rainwater discharge spout from the church tower and may have looked like the illustration below.

St Peter's Gardens, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom

16794067515 4c78c79528 m
The present church largely dates from the 15th century. Churches or monastic buildings have stood here since Saxon times and remains of these may lie beneath this site. The town prospered from the wool trade and this provided enough money to rebuilding the early church

St Peter's Gardens, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom

16175969363 0b9f4b3d6f m
1905 - 1907 During the Mayoralty of Mr A. Baldwin Bantock, J.P., and through his laudable efforts, this open space was laid out, and by his able assistance the tower of St. Peter's Collegiate Church was restored by voluntary subscriptions.

Top of the steps from St Peter's Square to - St. Peter's Collegiate Church - St Peter's Gardens, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom

16608320458 329ea06dfc m
County Borough of Wolverhampton. The war memorial within the adjoining garden was unveiled on 2nd November 1922 by Sir Doveton Sturdee Bart., C.G.B. K.C.M.C., C.V.O., L.L.D., Admiral of the Fleet. It was erected by public subscription during the Mayoralty of James Thompson, Chairman of the War Memorial Committee.

Top of the steps from St Peter's Square to - St. Peter's Collegiate Church - St Peter's Gardens, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom