Former Working Men's College The Working Men's College, which later became the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology was founded by Francis Ormond. It was built in two stages: the Bowen Street frontage was constructed in 1883/87 to a design by Nahum Barnett and Terry & Oakden, the LaTrobe Street frontage and tower were constructed in 1891 to a design by Oakden, Addison and Kemp.

LaTrobe Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Welsh Church. One of two Welsh Calvinistic Churches still active in Victoria, this simple Gothic revival building was designed in 1871 by the architect Charles Webb on the site of the Welsh Chapel built in 1856. With the support of the Reverend Dr. Egryn Jones, the Queen Victoria Memorial Hospital for women began in the church hall in 1896.

320 Latrobe Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

City Court Designed by G.B.H. Austin of the Public Works Department and built by Swanston Bros in 1911, the building originally accommodated three large courtrooms and offices with a two storey octagonal main vestibule. The facades, faced in Moorabool sandstone, focus on the entrance where gables, turrets, and arches produce an exceptional Romanesque composition.

?, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Flinders Street Railway Station. Since 1854, the station has been the focal point of the rail system. The present building, began in 1901 and completed in 1911, is the result of a design competition won by J.W. Fawcett and H.P.C. Ashworth. The building is a symbol of Melbourne and "under the clocks" is a traditional meeting place.

Corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

St. Francis Church. St. Francis is the oldest Roman Catholic Church in Victoria. Built between 1841 and 1845 on the site of an earlier church, it began as a simple brick Gothic style church designed by architect Samuel Jackson. It has since had many additions, including the cedar ceiling in 1850, a chapel in 1856, sanctuary in 1879 and front porch in 1956.

326 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Melbourne Town Hall. This building, designed by Reed and Barnes, Architects, was begun in 1867 on the site of the original Melbourne Town Hall. The clocktower, completed in 1869, was named in the honour of the visit of Prince Alfred. The design was completed in 1887 with the addition of the portico over the footpath. The fine masonry and classical detailing express the civic pride of "Marvellous Melbourne".

Corner of Collins and Swanston Streets, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

St Paul's Cathedral. In 1836 Melbourne's first official church service was held on this site. The Cathedral, designed by English architect, William Butterfield, was constructed between 1878 and 1891 to replace an earlier church building. Work was supervised by Joseph Reed. Construction of the spires, designed by John Barr, completed the building in 1933.

Corner Flinders and Swanston Streets, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Former Independent Church. This is the site of Melbourne's earliest permanent church built in 1839 for the Independent or Congregational Church, which earlier had held services in John Pascoe Fawkner's Tavern. The present polychrome brick church was designed by Reed and Barnes, Architects, and built in 1866/7 by John Young. The robust external design is complemented by the splendour of its interior.

Corner Collins and Russell Streets, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Scots' Church and Assembly Hall. In 1873 the Scots' Church was built in sandstone and limestone in the Gothic Revival style to the design of Joseph Reed, Architect. The Assembly Hall, constructed in 1914-15 by Swanson Bros., was designed by H.H. Kemp to blend with the Church. In 1981 Georges Ltd. donated the fountain designed by Peter Staughton, Architect.

99 Russell Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Newspaper House. In 1933 the newspaper publishers' Herald and Weekly Times, acquired the W.H. Rocke Ltd building and conducted an architectural competition for the redesign of the building for its city offices. The competition was won by architects Stephenson and Meldrum with a design which incorporated a glass mosaic by M. Napier Waller based on the text "I'll put a girdle around the earth."

247-249 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Former Wing Ching Restaurant Constructed in 1891 as the Wing Ching Restaurant, it was operated for many years by Ah Gee. It was known as the Quon Che On Cafe from 1900 to 1915 and after that as the Chung Wah Cafe. The upper floors were used as warehouse space and the gantry beam used for lifting goods still protrudes above the top floor doorway.

Heffernan Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia