Spring Lake Indian camp and watering place extensively used in hunting buffalo. Became cattle territory in 1882 when Tom Lynch drove his herds from New Mexico. After acquisition by the Capitol Syndicate this became headquarters of largest division of the XIT Ranch

Highway 70 near County Road 99, Earth, TX, United States

Von Hugo-Von Clausewitz Family Cemetery. The nearby oak grove served as a family cemetery from the 1870s, originally for two Prussian families immigrating to Texas in the 1850s. They sailed to the port of Indianola and settled here, close to Hochheim Prairie (3 miles west). Carl Ottomar Gunther Theodor Von Hugo (1805-1875) originally owned the property; his is the oldest marked grave in the cemetery. He was born in Prussia and married Albertine Amalie Elise Elenore, Countess Zu Dohna (1813-1890), also a Prussian native. Gustav Adolph Frederick Von Clausewitz (1802-1874) owned the land adjacent to the cemetery. He was born at Berg, Prussia, and his passport for immigration was dated 1858. He married Elise Elenore Wilhelmine, Countess Zu Dohna (1817-1870), sister of Albertine Von Hugo. Both Von Clausewitz graves are now unmarked but are recorded in the family cemetery. The cemetery has some 14 known graves, and possibly others from before the turn of the century. Other family names represented in the cemetery by record are Barth, Bulwer, Nelson, Petering, and Stablefeld. Burials ceased evidently after the completion of nearby St. Ann's Church in 1906 and the location there of a church cemetery. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #5661

Hugo Von Clausewitz Family Cemetery, Yoakum, TX, United States

Subjects