203522 d30f317c 120x120
Abbey Still House Marking one of the corners of the Abbey precinct, the Still House was where the monks distilled, for medicinal purposes, herbs from their nearby garden. It was restored in 1884

Riverside walkway, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26708331492 50d262fbc8 m
Victorian Grammar School Here from 1837 to 1888 were housed the town's Grammar School and the Master's house. Among the first pupils was W.H. Smith. After its closure, the building became, for some years, a doctor's surgery

Russell Street, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26707360482 f5cf0b7e64 m
The Queen's Head Hotel This three storey, grade II listed building is a long-standing feature of one of Tavistock's oldest streets. The building was refurbished in the late 1990's to become Brown's Hotel. During the refurbishment, a holy well was uncovered that provided fresh water for Tavistock Abbey. Brown's Hotel was previously the Queen's Head, an old coaching inn with extensive stabling and yards at the rear. In the 18th century, the Queen's Head was one of Tavistock's many hostelries and is said to have stood on the site of an even earlier inn. These premises were refurbished by JD Wetherspoon and opened in July 2015

West Street, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26216290123 565d283b60 m
Cornmarket Erected by the Duke of Bedford in 1835 on the site of the Green Dragon Inn. Between 1913 and 1957 it had a second life as the town's first cinema. Renovated by Wessex Heritage in 1992

King Street, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26536402240 c800b83034 m
Taylor Square This square commemorates John Taylor (1779-1863), mining entrepreneur, whose vision and engineering skills led to the construction of the Tavistock Canal

Taylor Square, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26715030041 51796ba820 m
Tavistock Bank The first bank in Tavistock, founded by John and William Gill, and called the Tavistock Bank, was established in this building in 1791

Market Street, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26764736896 f5a2fe24ec m
Ordulph Arms Opened as a Temperance Hotel in 1838, this building housed, for much of the twentieth century, the offices of the Tavistock Rural District Council. It became an inn in 1983

Pym Street, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26725028671 537bec1d36 m
Town Mill The main building on this site was the town corn mill, built in 1846 and powered from a leat from the Tavy called the Millbrook. The miller's house was in the adjoining car park.

Parkwood Road, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
143398 4eb4bd72 120x120
Tavistock Devon The Western Gateway of Dartmoor Ancient Stannary Town Remains of the Benedictine Abbey founded by Ordgar and Ordulph c965 Gateways part of Cloister Abbot's Hall and Crenellated Wall by River Tavy. Parish Church of St Eustace AD 1185-1450. Interesting Monuments Birthplace of Sir Francis Drake (original statue by Boehm) and of William Browne the Poet. Good Educational Facilities. Hunting. Golf. Fishing. Public Pleasure Grounds. Cricket. Tennis. Bowls &c

Bedford Square, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26722401121 3dceaa6aa0 m
Town Hall Opened in 1864, the Town Hall emerged as the centrepiece of the seventh Duke of Bedford's ambicious scheme for the development of the town centre

Bedford Square, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
143400 bb112727 120x120
Court Gate This was the principal entrance to the great Abbey of St. Mary and St. Rumon. Originating in the twelfth century, it was extended in the fifteenth century, and underwent major restoration by John Foulston in 1824

Bedford Square, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26512992865 6d612c468b m
Bedford Hotel Abbey House, built in the 1720's on the monastic site, was for many years the residence of the Duke of Bedford's agent. Its conversion to an hotel took place in 1822

Plymouth Road, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
25910022793 b13c815c82 m
Abbey Cloisters The cloisters of the Benedictine Abbey adjoined the Abbey Church, a magnificent building dedicated in the 1318. It decayed after the dissolution of the monastery in 1539 and had been demolished by 1700. Only one arch of the cloister has survived

Plymouth Road, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26512774475 0b74c84fe3 m
Bedford Estate Office From the 1820's to the 1960's the Duke of Bedford's local estates were administered from this building

Plymouth Road, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26446562741 4f564e8c87 m
The Misericord or Infirmary Dining Hall of Tavistock Abbey, now known as the Abbey Chapel. The present entrance was inserted in 1845, when the original north entrance was walled up. But the early 16th century north porch survives. It has a vaulted roof weith carved bosses

abbey Place, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
25909722823 1e4f55b49c m
Abbey Chapel Origianally part of Tavistock Abbey, this was the site of the Abbot's Hall. Since 1691, when it became a Presbyterian meeting house, it has housed nonconformist congregations

Abbey Place, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects
26446383921 a21b4aca38 m
Guildhall Built in 1848 by the Duke of Bedford, on a site once occupied by the mill of Tavistock, this building replaced an earlier Guildhall that stood in Bedford Square. Its duties as a courthouse ended in 2001

Abbey Place, Tavistock, United Kingdom

Subjects