25595608061 12173060fe m
Munger Community In 1854, Ten Labors of Land (1770 acres) were surveyed in Limestone County for Jonathan Scott. In 1872, Henry Martin Munger moved his family from Rutersville (Fayette Co.) To Mexia. There he opened a lumberyard, planing mill, flour mill, grist mill and cotton gin. In 1876, Munger began to buy up and fence the entire Scott survey for a major cotton farm. Two of his sons, Robert and Stephen, expanded the family cotton operations. Robert, who patented several cotton processing machines and tools, moved to Dallas in 1885 to open his own manufacturing plant. The Munger Improved Cotton Machine & Manufacturing Co., later the Continental Gin Co., became the largest manufacturer of cotton-processing equipment in the U.S. Robert also developed the Munger place residential development in Dallas starting in 1905. Stephen joined Robert in Dallas in 1888. He became company president, director of City National Bank and trustee of Southern Methodist University. The Munger farm stayed in the family until 1920, and the family owned 22 gins in Limestone and Freestone counties. In 1903, the Munger family deeded right-of-way to the Trinity & Brazos Valley Railroad (T&BV, nicknamed the “Boll Weevil”), linking the community to other rail markets. By the late 1920s, the Munger community boasted a ten-grade school, Welcome Baptist Church, Munger Methodist Episcopal Church, and a cotton gin, depot, post office, general store, blacksmith, polling place and boy scout troop. The population declined in the 1930s as cotton prices dropped and improved roads opened. The school and rail line closed in 1942, and the two churches closed by 1948. Former residents held community reunions for several years, but today few historic reminders remain from this once-thriving rural settlement. Marker is Property of the State of Texas (2013)

SH 171, Coolidge, TX, United States

25811184756 10a716943c m
Frankford The site of the former town of Frankford consists of the three-acre wagon yard, five-acre Frankford Church area and three-acre cemetery. The town of Frankford grew around Indian Springs after W.C. McKamy and his family moved to Texas in 1852. They sold firewood and water to settlers moving along Preston Road. Some of these Settlers stayed at Frankford, creating the growing town near Indian Springs. The Frankford Post OFfice stood at the intersection of the Dallas North Tollway and Hilton Head Drive. At its height Frankford had a steam grist mill, corn mill, cotton gin, blacksmith shop, two general stores and three churches, with 83 residents. In 1858, the White Rock Masonic Lodge was organized at Walnut Grove, and in 1872 moved to a buildng in Collin County, located on what is now the northwest side of Frankford Cemetery. The Hall became the fraternal, religious and educational center for miles around. A church building was also erected on the cemetery grounds in 1880, only to be destroyed by a tornado. Some of the wood in the current Frankford Church came from the original church. The end of Frankford came with the growth of the railroad. The line bypassed Frankford and instead went through Addison, eventually prompting the move of the Lodge Hall to Addison in 1907. The town of Frankford no longer existed, though the larger landowning families like the Cooks and the McKamys remained. In 1948, the Frankford Cemetery Association was incorporated to help maintain the cemetery. Marker is property of The State of Texas (2015)

Frankford Cemetery Road, Dallas, United States

26008457961 0693498ff8 m
Carver Dixon King Born on May 18, 1843 in Tennessee, C.D. "Uncle Dutch" King was an early leader in Arlington. He moved to Texas in 1873 and became Arlington's first mayor shortly after the town was established in 1876; he again served as mayor from 1899-1900. King also worked as a notary, owned a grocery store and icehouse, and served 13 terms as Justice of the Peace. He was devoted to the community, serving on city boards and organizations when not in office. King had two children with his first wife, Reola Eunice (Buford). After her death, he married Ione Fort. C.D. King died in 1930 and was interred in Parkdale Cemetery. Today, he is remembered as one of Arlington’s earliest and most dedicated leaders. (2010) Marker is Property of the State of Texas

301 E North St., Arlington, TX, United States

26406807531 67ae2974ea m
Bankhead Highway Through Eastland County Early 20th century development of the automobile led to major road system improvements throughout the United States. Senator John H. Bankhead of Alabama sponsored the 1916 Federal Aid Road Act, which supplied matching funds to states to upgrade roads. The Bankhead Highway became an east-to-west transcontinental highway from Washington, D.C. to San Diego. The Bankhead Highway's route through Texas included the major cities of Texarkana, Dallas, Fort Worth and El Paso. As the highway entered Eastland County from the east, a narrow, winding and extremely steep feature known as Thurber Hill, Ranger Hill or the "Big Hill" was one of the first challenges for early automobiles. A Works Progress Administration (WPA) roadside park was developed near the hill, and another prominent feature to the west, "Scenic Point," provided a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside. The highway supported growing networks of transportation and commerce in Eastland County. In Ranger, the Bankhead Highway crossed the railroad tracks, turning left onto South Commerce Street at the 1923 passenger train depot. Ranger Municipal Airport, in use since 1911 and officially dedicated in 1928, and J. H. McCleskey No. 1 Discovery Well, site of Ranger's 1917 oil strike, also lie along the highway. Through Olden and Eastland, much of the Bankhead Highway is aligned with the I-20 westbound access road. The highway entered Eastland along East Main Street, passed the States Oil Company, then turned on Bassett to Commerce Street and passed the 1928 Eastland County Courthouse. The road was paved with Thurber vitrified brick from Ranger to Cisco. The Bankhead Highway can be followed on Highway 6 from Eastland to Cisco, the site of Conrad Hilton's first hotel (the Mobley Hotel) in 1919, and then along FM 2945 toward Putnam and the Callahan County line. (2015) Marker is Property of the State of Texas

Interstate 20 Westbound, Ranger, TX, United States

26318815854 870c769990 m
Grammer-Pierce House This California style Craftsman bungalow was built in 1915 by A.H. Richter and his wife, Violet (Murdock) Richter, in what is now the Fairmount Historic District. It was purchased in 1917 by Mrs. N.E. Grammer, widow of Nathaniel Grammer. Nathaniel was a prominent Fort Worth businessman, owning the largest and oldest drug store in the city. Mrs. Grammer sold the house in 1940. In 1948, Alice (Lewis) Pierce, who was part Choctaw Indian, purchased the house after she and her husband, Mark, moved to Fort Worth to reestablish themselves following the Stock Market Crash of 1929, they sold the house in 1970. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2015 Marker is Property of the State of Texas

2232 College Ave., Fort Worth, TX, United States

28370270305 b74b25ec37 m
Settlers began arriving in this area, once a part of Robertson’s Colony, in the 1850s. Early families included the Casters, Borahs, Sowers and Haleys. Following the Civil War, freedmen moved to the area, and friends and families once separated by slavery were reconnected. Jim Green, the first African American landowner in what became known as the Bear Creek community, bought his acreage in 1878. Others soon followed: Jim Chivers, Ben and Rose Dilworth, Alex King, Elizabeth Lawson, Collins and Rachel Patton, D.W. Ellison (Ellerson), Sam Sweat, the Trigg family and Minnie Shelton (Sheldon), who later donated land for Shelton’s Bear Creek Cemetery. These families organized the Shady Grove Christian Methodist Episcopal Church in 1884, erecting a one-room church and school building on land donated by Jim Green. The congregation, which built a larger structure in 1897, continued to grow and worship together throughout the 20th century. The Bear Creek community school, known as Freedom School, began as a private education facility. The students later transferred to Grand Prairie’s Dal Worth School, which became County Colored School No. 2. It, along with schools from the Sowers community, were annexed to the Irving Independent School District in 1955. Early teachers in the Bear Creek settlement included Josie Davis and Earlie Mae Wheeler. Approximately 150 years after the first settlers came to the area, the once rural Bear Creek settlement is experiencing rapid growth from the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and related highway and airport expansion. Shelton’s Bear Creek Cemetery is one of few links to the settlement and the lives of the families who contributed over the years to the community. (2004)

3925 Jackson St., Irving, United States

28606014662 8df331db78 m
Founding Fort Worth Major General William J. Worth was the commanding officer of the eighth military district including Texas and Mexico. His responsibility was to maintain peace between settlers and the plains Indians. His plan was to establish a new post on the Trinity River to extend the line of defense. Worth died suddenly of cholera and did not get to see his plan come to light. Major Ripley Arnold was given the duty of establishing a fort by the acting commander, General Harney. This site would close the gap between the Brazos and Red Rivers. Arnold’s dragoons met with Col. Middleton Tate Johnson, a citizen with great influence, at the ranger’s station on Marrow Bone Springs. Along with Johnson were Joseph R. Parker, Dr. William B. Echols, Charles Turner and Simon Farrar. Along with his five guides, Arnold and his men set out to locate the ideal site for the new fort. The barracks of the fort were first located at the present-day site of the Tarrant County Courthouse. The land was described by Simon Farrar as “the most beautiful and grand country the sun had ever shone on…in view of all advantages of a natural point of defense.” After learning that Major General Worth, a hero in the recent Mexican War, had passed away, it was relatively easy for Arnold to name the new post after him even though he never saw the place named in his honor. Remembering his part in the founding of Fort Worth, Farrar stated in 1893, “it is the prayer and wish of your humble correspondent that Fort Worth may be the capital of northwest Texas, for i have at all times entertained great confidence in the people of Fort Worth.” (2012) Marker is Property of the State of Texas

360-398 North Taylor Street, Fort Worth, TX, United States

28188478363 2354a961fa m
The Kay Theater In 1947, E. L. Bryan and the Foy Arrington family bought a surplus Quonset Hut, one of thousands of the all-purpose metal buildings made during World War II. The hut was moved to Rockdale to become the core of the second movie theater in town. Local carpenter Jack Kyle, Sr. Directed several Rockdale high school students to build the sloping concrete floor and façade for the streamline moderne-style Kay Theater, named for the Arringtons’ daughter, Katherine. A half-cylinder of corrugated steel sheets forms the walls and roof. The entry includes a stepped plaster wall outlined in neon, an entry drum of plaster and glass blocks, paired double doors, a central sign and large letters spelling K-A-Y on each side of the rotunda. The owners, Mr. and Mrs. Foy Arrington, said the Quonset Hut architecture “lends itself naturally to excellent acoustics and a pleasing interior appearance.” Construction of the Kay Theater was completed in time for a Thanksgiving 1947 opening. At a dedication ceremony the next night, postmaster Clyde Franklin was master of ceremonies and mayor J. B. Newton introduced “rolling home,” starring Russell Hayden, Jean Parker and Raymond Hatton. Large box fans made the theater one of few air conditioned locations in town. Mr. Arrington manned the ticket booth and was the projectionist, and his wife managed the concessions. As with similar facilities at the time, African American patrons walked upstairs to separate balcony seating. The kay theater closed in 1962 and was vacant for many years before restoration began in 2004 through the Kay Theater foundation. Today, the last remaining theater in Milam County recalls a time when going to the movies was a cultural event and central to the social life of many young people. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2013 Marker is Property of the State of Texas

350 N. Main St., Rockdale, TX, United States

28491637164 ee1fc9b9e1 m
Meacham Field On July 3, 1925, the Fort Worth city council approved a lease on 100 acres of property on Decatur Road for the city’s new municipal airport. It was built to replace the city’s first municipal airport at Barron Field, a World War I-era flying training field near Everman. After passage of the Air Mail Act (Kelly Act) in 1925, airlines began flying the mail over Contract Air Mail (CAM) routes. As headquarters of the 11th district of the U.S. Post Office Railway Mail Service, Fort Worth offered an ideal location to tie together ground and air distribution. On May 12, 1926, National Air Transport Co. (later United Airlines) flew the field’s first air mail flight to Chicago. On July 16, 1927, the airport’s name changed to Meacham Field, in honor of former Mayor H. C. Meacham. Soon several airlines began to offer passenger service on the CAM routes. By 1931, the airport had expanded to 280 acres. On April 4, 1937, Meacham Field’s new Art Moderne Terminal (the first air-conditioned passenger terminal in the U.S.) and control tower were dedicated. During World War II, in April 1943, American Airlines was awarded a contract to train U. S. Navy pilots at the airport on the Douglas R4D (DC-3) transport. In May 1943, the navy commissioned the airport as a naval auxiliary air facility and established a ferry service unit to coordinate cross-country fighter and torpedo bomber deliveries to the pacific and seaplane ferrying services at nearby Lake Worth. When Fort Worth International Airport opened in April 1953, commercial airline operations moved there. Afterward, Meacham Field Developed into one of the world's leading airports for general and corporate aviation, flight training and aircraft repair. (2015) Marker is Property of the State of Texas

3300 Ross Avenue, Fort Worth, TX, United States

28515552074 b9413c7532 m
Cedarvale Cemetery, Established Ca. 1850 Historic Texas Cemetery 2007 #16775

County Road 199A, Kaufman, TX, United States

27641844743 bc6c394040 m
Kaufman County Indigent Cemetery. This burial ground is part of 600 acres purchased for use as a poor farm operated by Kaufman County beginning in 1883. It is the final resting place for some of Kaufman County's citizens who were poor farm residents, county jail inmates, paupers, transients and other indigents. It is believed that anonymous victims of an 1871 typhoid fever epidemic were the first to be interred at this site, but the earliest marked grave is that of poor farm inmate George McCorkin, who died the year it opened. Though many graves remain unmarked, the cemetery is a place of final dignity for those whose names remain among those now forgotten.

4100 Vista Lane, Kaufman, TX, United States

Subjects
29146956032 182f2cb7ae m
Locust Grove. Established in the 1800s, the Locust Grove community included a saw mill, three churches, a grocery store, a doctor's office and a school. In 1891, J. H. Muckleroy and W. B. Martin sold three acres to James F. Smith and W. J. Waggoner for a school, church and burial ground. Smith and Waggoner donated the land to trustees the following year. A two-story building served as a schoolhouse and Baptist church. A post office, named for first postmaster James Hiram Hughes, operated from 1893 to 1906 and gave the community its later name of Hiram. Locust Grove Baptist Church prospered, and in May 1919 dedicated a new church house, which is still in use. The church and adjoining cemetery are the community's remaining historic landmarks. #17621

5780 FM 2965, Elmo, United States

29372820155 74866a21ba m
S. M. N. Marrs, On January 2, 1862, Starlin Marion Newberry Marrs was born in Gauley Bridge, Fayette County, Virginia (now West Virginia). At 16, he began teaching in rural schools, working in coal mines to make ends meet. He moved to Texas in 1881, teaching in Erath County, Hico and Cleburne. He also earned a degree from Ohio's National Normal University, and wed Anna Hesup, also of West Virginia. In 1893, Terrell's school board chose Marrs as superintendent. In 1897, the board was involved in a political fight with the city aldermen and mayor. During two years of turmoil, Marrs was fired and re-hired, and he resigned to work at the Department of Education in Austin for a year. He returned as Terrell superintendent in 1899. After his first wife died in 1904, Marrs cared for their four children and, in 1909, wed Ina Cadell. In addition to school and family responsibilities, he was an active citizen, playing a role in building Terrell's Carnegie library and also in changing the local government utilizing a city commission model. He also served as president of the Texas State Teachers Association and on the State Board of Examiners. In 1918, Marrs left to become State Supervisor of High Schools. He worked under State Superintendent Annie Webb Blanton, becoming Assistant Superintendent of Public Instruction in 1921. He became State Superintendent of Public Instruction in 1922. In that job, he initiated compulsory school attendance and worked for better rural schools, stronger high school funding and higher certification standards. Marrs died in 1932 and was buried in the Texas State Cemetery in Austin, He was honored at the 1954 Texas State Fair as one of 100 heroes of Texas education. His contributions to Terrell, and to the state, remain significant. #14636

700 North Catherine Street, Terrell, TX, United States

28835396854 5079006d9d m
No. 1 British Flying Training School, By 1939, the British government recognized that in the event of war with Germany, training facilities would need to be established overseas in Commonwealth countries, or in the U.S. at civilian schools similar to those already utilized by the (then) U.S. Army Air Corps. In August 1941, prior to the U.S. entry into World War II, the No. 1 British Flying Training School (BFTS) of the Royal Air Force (RAF) was established with strong support from the citizenry of Terrell. Both the Terrell and Kaufman Chambers of Commerce assisted in locating a suitable location for the new training school. Following the naming of Major W.F. Long of Dallas as the operator of the school, a site was selected about one mile south of Terrell on the Bond and Patton farms. Terrell Aviation School opened shortly thereafter. In addition to the main field at the No. 1 BFTS, to ease congestion the school had two auxiliary fields to the south of Terrell on the Boykin and Tarver farms. Civilian instructors provided the cadets with 20 weeks of preparation that included both flight training and ground school classes that covered meteorology, airmanship, navigation, and 'link' trainers for instrument flying. During World War II the school trained approx. 2,200 cadets from the RAF and 138 U.S. Army Air Forces cadets. The motto of No. 1 BFTS was "the seas divide, but the skies unite". The people of Terrell welcomed cadets into their community and the cadets contributed their talents to the cultural life of the town. The war over, and their mission complete, on September 10, 1945, the final cadets left Terrell’s railroad station with a contingent of local citizens waving them on. In 2002, the No. 1 BFTS Museum opened in Terrell to commemorate not only the wartime school, but the continuing cooperation between the British Commonwealth and the United States in war and peace. #16688

119 Silent Wings Blvd., Terrell, TX, United States

29783823371 8294e2078a m
Tenth Street Historic District Freedmen's Town The first African Americans to live in Oak Cliff were slaves, brought here by settlers such as William H. Hord in 1845 to work the land. The neighborhood that grew here became known as the Tenth Street District. An important African American enclave within the historically white community of Oak Cliff. It was not until after the Civil War that the Freedmen's Town began to grow and thrive. Records differ as to when and how quickly African Americans settled here, but by 1900, Oak Cliff contained more than 500 African American residents, almost a sixth of the town's population. Segregation forced the developmenht of a separate commercial district. The community thrived, and even gave rise to famous entertainers like the noted blues artist, T-Bone Walker, and 1960 Olympic Gold Medal decathlete Rafer Johnson. Though the community continued to maintain a strong African American heritage, the construction of IH-35 east in 1955 and integration in the 1960s resulted in the demolition of around 175 original and influenced residents to seek opportunities elsewhere. Residential buildings date to as early as 1910 and are relatively unchanged. Oak Cliff Cemetery, established in 1846 by settler William Beaty, is within the heart of the district near the 1928 N. W. Harllee School. Other significant buildings include the 1889 Sunshine Elizabeth Chapel CME (demolished 1999) and the 1886 Greater El Bethel Baptist Church. The degree to which these historic buildings remain standing and in good repair marks the Tenth Street area as one of the more well-preserved African American communities of this time period remaining in the Dallas Metropolitan area. Oak Cliff's Tenth Street Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994 in recognition of its cultural significance and architectural value. Marker is Property of the State of Texas (2015)

1216 E. Eighth St., Dallas, United States

Battle of norris bridge historical marker
In November of 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, the Union Army arrived in Calhoun County. Union and Texas troops rarely met on the field of Battle in Texas, as most of the war was concentrated in the east and south of the country. The union wanted to take Fort Esperanza that was located on pass Cavallo, the entrance to Matagorda Bay. On the morning of December 26, 1863, the union army and Texas rangers met on the banks of Chocolate Bayou. The union army was trying to get to Lavaca, current day port Lavaca, via the Norris Bridge over Chocolate Bayou. What occurred next was told similarly by both sides, stating that the group of 40 Texas Rangers tried to set fire to the bridge when they saw the large infantry approaching. Union soldiers put out the fire and started firing shells at the Texans. The rangers stood their ground until their captain gave orders to retreat, considering there were 40 of them versus three thousand Union Soldiers. The Texans scattered in all directions on horseback, giving them advantage over the union infantry. Attributing to the lack of casualties was a herd of cows on a distant hill that the Union Army mistook as the enemy. They trained their guns on this herd and shot all of the cows. The only fatality during the battle was a Union Officer felled by a musket shot through the thigh. This brief encounter at the battle of Norris Bridge was one of the rare engagements of armies on the Texas front. Norris Bridge was named after A.W. Norris, who purchased the bridge property in 1857 and operated the bridge on a toll basis. In addition to the damage to the bridge by the Texans, Norris’ nearby house was vandalized by the Union Army.

Buren Rd., Port Lavaca, United States

34267582050 2462059eb9 m
Hamilton Park Community Located ten miles north of downtown Dallas, the African American community of Hamilton Park began as the White Rock Farming Settlement. In the 1940s and 1950s, racial violence in the South Dallas community of Queen City and the discriminatory displacement of African American residents for the new Love Field Municipal Airport resulted in the need for many of these families to move outside of the downtown area. In response, Jerome Crossman, a local oilman, compelled the Dallas Citizens' Interracial Association (DCIA) to locate land in North Dallas for the project and consulted philanthropist Karl S.J. Hoblitzelle for funding. On February 13, 1953, the Hoblitzelle Foundation lent DCIA funds to purchase acreage to address the housing shortage of African Americans. Named for Dr. Richard Theodore Hamilton, an influential voice in the African American Equality movement in Dallas, the Hamilton Park Community was the first African American suburban development in Dallas. Intentionally planned in two phases with the segregated twelve-grade school at the center and each street named for prominent African American individuals and institutions, the community officially opened in 1954. By 1958, many homes built near the school were complete and middle-class families began to move in with the community complete by 1961 with 741 single-family homes. In addition to the school, the community included three churches, a shopping center, and park, complete with a swimming pool, tennis court, basketball court, pavilion and playground. Since the 1950s, the Hamilton Park Civic League has served the community residents, connecting them with City of Dallas resources, encouraging voter registration and turnout, and planning community events. This sense of community and pride among residents helps preserve the heritage and legacy of the original homeowners. (2016) Marker is property of the State of Texas

8301 Towns St., Dallas, TX, United States

35621519605 474874fb23 m
Hawkins Cemetery Named for Harvey Hawkins (1804-1869), a pioneer settler who came to Texas from Tennessee and first settled in Rusk County, the Hawkins Cemetery is the final resting place for families of the Tate Springs community. In 1848, Hawkins married Mary Ann Elizabeth (Elliott) Hitt Turner (1817-1868) and they later traveled by wagon to what would become Tarrant County. A preemptive land grand was issued to Hawkins for 160 acres in Tarrant County by Sam Houston, governor of the State of Texas, in January 1860. The cemetery began as a family plot located in the center of the property where the Hawkins couple and their children are buried. According to legend, a slave named Poly Penn was the first burial. No gravestone has been found but the location was marked on an early map. The earliest marked gravesite is that of Mary Hawkins in 1868. Rebekah Hawkins, Mary's daughter, married Jason Bryant Little before moving with her family to Tarrant County and settled near the Hawkins family. After Jason returned from fighting in the Civil War, they opened an elementary school. Their home was used as a stage coach stop on the Star Mail Route from Johnson Station, Texas to Fort Worth. A large arched monument stands at the north end of the cemetery, marking the gravesites of Rebekah, Jason and their families. In 1890, property owner George W. Kee sold the cemetery grounds to the community for use as a public burial ground. The Kee family is buried on the norther section of the cemetery. Additional acreage was acquired in 1919 from the Edwards and Tunnell families. Members of the community established a Cemetery Association in 1949 to maintain the cemetery and its records. Hawkins Cemetery chronicles the pioneer families that settled the area in the mid-1800s. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2015 Marker is property of the State of Texas

5301 NB Hwy 287 Access Road, Arlington, TX, United States

33839054243 a1509c118c m
Fairmount-Southside Historic District The Fairmount-Southside Historic District is a predominately residential area in the center of Fort Worth's Historic Southside. Located approximately two miles south of present-day downtown, the district is comprised of 22 separate additions containing more than 1,200 contributing residences, commercial buildings and other structures. It emcompasses nearly 375 acres in about 100 square blocks. Most residences were built as wood-framed single-family cottages, bungalows and two-story foursquare homes. Fort Worth was incorporated in 1873 in anticipation of the first railroad, which came through in 1876. Speculators bought and sold land they believed would turn the most profit if Fort Worth's economy was bolstered by the railroad. During the post-railroad boom, the city began to quickly expand south. Developers planned the additions that now comprise the Fairmount-Southside Historic District during the years 1883-1907. The largest was the Fairmount Addition, platted in 1890, which encompasses much of the western half of the district. When developed, the land on which the Fairmount-Southside Historic District now rests was on the southernmost edge of the city. The district grew rapidly in its formative years, as many middle-income workers moved to Fort Worth for various employment opportunities. Within the first two decades of the 20th Century, streetcar lines ran down major district thoroughfares, including College and Fairmount Avenues, carrying railroad employees, doctors, lawyers, salesmen and merchants to and from their homes built on the Southside to their areas of employment. Beginning with Queen Anne and ending in the Craftsman style, the homes built by the original residents now showcase the evolution of domestic architecture of early 20th Century suburban America. (2016) Marker is property of the State of Texas

Allen Street, Fort Worth, TX, United States

35072791853 37d8bafdc2 m
Kennedale Independent School District Known for its farming and brick manufacturing, the town of Kennedale was not officially incorporated until 1947. However, the town's citizens recognized early the need for educational facilities for area families. To accommodate their need, the Kennedale Independent School District (ISD) was established around 1890. The first school was a two-story frame building located near the current Administration Building, with all students taught by one teacher. At that time, the academic year was only two months, suiting the needs of the agricultural community. Over the next twenty years, the area grew and so did the need for educational facilities. In 1913, the Kennedale ISD purchased this site for a new school. To reflect the town's brick manufacturing heritage, the new two-story building was constructed with brick. Although the building had no running water or restroom facilities, the property included a large green space for gardening or outdoor activities. The second floor of the school featured movable walls to create an auditorium for school and community plays and events. In 1938, seeking federal assistance to expand the school campus, the school district applied for funding through the Works Progress Administration (WPA). While it is unknown if the school district was awarded federal funds to build new classrooms, oral history attributes the old rock wall to the WPA. The Kennedale ISD campus changed over the years, but the rock wall remains as a reminder of Tarrant County and Texas Depression-era structures. (2016) Marker is Property of the State of Texas

120 W. Kennedale Pkwy, Kennedale, TX, United States

36283062702 85fc47b556 m
Fort Worth Army Air Field By January 1941, negotiations between Fort Worth civic advocates, led by Amon G. Carter, and the U.S. Army yielded an agreement to construct an aircraft plant near the city to build B-24 Liberator bombers. Legislation later authorized the creation of a landing field adjacent to the completed Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation Plant No. 4 which became Tarrant Field/Tarrant Field Airdrome. Three months after the U.S. joined World War II, the plant was in operation and the Army moved forward to create an Air Base to utilize this proximity between sites to facilitate B-24 crew training. This air base opened in August 1942 and was named Fort Worth Army Air Field (FWAAF) in May 1943, training more than 4,000 pilots between 1942 and 1944. It allowed the city to contribute substantially to victory for the U.S. and Allied Powers. In late January 1948, FWAAF was renamed Carswell Air Force Base in honor of Fort Worth native and Medal of Honor recipient Major Horace S. Carswell, Jr. The site became a key U.S. Air Force Strategic Air Command (SAC) base during the Cold War, serving as a highly visible symbol of nuclear deterrence and force projection. The site was the first SAC base to be equipped with the Fort Worth-produced B-36 Peacemaker bomber and transitioned by 1959 to the legendary B-52 Stratofortress bomber. In 1972, B-52s stationed here participated in the most powerful SAC campaign of the Vietnam War, Operation Linebacker II. After the end of the Cold War, Carswell AFB closed in September 1993. In October 1994, the site reopened as Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, supporting active duty and reserve units in the Navy, Marine Corps, Army, Air Force, and the Texas Air National Guard. This base greatly aided training and support of the U.S. Military during the Global War on Terrorism and continues a long tradition of professional excellence in the defense of the Nation. (2016) Marker is Property of the State of Texas

200 Pumphrey Dr., Westworth Village, TX, United States

36054407230 cdf5be6b75 m
Horace Seaver Carswell, Jr Major, United States Army Air Corps Horace Seaver Carswell, Jr. was born on July 18, 1916, to Horace S. and Bertha Rea Carswell of Fort Worth. He attended North Side High School where he excelled in athletics. Graduating in 1934, Carswell entered Texas A&M College and later transferred to Texas Christian University, where he lettered in football and baseball and graduated with a degree in Physical Education in 1939. In 1940, Carswell enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps as a Flying Cadet. He undertook Primary Flight Training in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and at Randolph Field (San Antonio), and Advanced Flying Training at Kelly Field (San Antonio). Upon receiving his wings in November 1940 he served at Randolph Field and Goodfellow Field (San Angelo) where he met and later married Virginia Ede in October 1941. Two months later the U.S. entered World War II. Carswell served in stateside assignments until April 1944, when he was transferred to the China-Burma-India Theater of Operations and to the 374th Bombardment Squadron, 308th Bombardment Group. Major Carswell commanded a unit of radar-equipped B-24J bombers at Liuchow, China. On October 26, 1944, he led a nighttime interdiction mission over the South China Sea. While attacking an enemy convoy, his aircraft was severely damaged by Japanese anti-aircraft fire. Carswell nursed his aircraft to the China coast where he ordered his crew to parachute to safety. When two of his crew could not bail out, he selflessly remained with his aircraft, searching for a spot to land until the damaged plane crashed into a mountainside. Carswell was posthumously awarded the medal of honor, which was presented to his wife and young son. In 1948, his remains were repatriated and buried in Fort Worth. That same year, Army Air Field was renamed Carswell Air Force Base in his honor. Its airstrip is still officially named "Carswell Field." (2016) Marker is Property of the State of Texas

200 Pumphrey Dr., Westworth Village, TX, United States