Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Authon Cemetery. Named for the nearby Authon Community, located on the Fort Worth-Fort Belknap Military Road, this site first served as a cemetery for the family of Kentucky native Isom Cranfill (1831-1902). The earliest burial here was that of his 15-year-old son, Linn Boyd Cranfill (d. 1871), who was killed in an Indian attack near the family home (.75 mile south). The cemetery and adjoining land were later deeded to the Authon Church of Christ, who worshiped in a sanctuary at this site until the 1920s. Still in use, the public burial ground contains the graves of many pioneer area settlers. (1981) #250

On Garner-Adell Rd, off US 180, about 20 mi. W of Weatherford, Authon, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Avenue D School. Constructed to replace an earlier brick schoolhouse destroyed by fire, the present Avenue D School was built in 1923. C.J. Leinbach of Dallas designed the three-story building, which features decorative stonework and separate entrances for girls and boys. Funds from the sale of advertising space on the auditorium curtains were used for interior furnishings. All grade levels were housed here until the 1940s when the Junior High School and High School were relocated. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981. #251

215 N. College, Killeen, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Avoca Methodist Church. This church grew from an 1887 brush arbor camp meeting in the Spring Creek community of Avo (1.5 miles west), conducted by the Rev. J. H. Wiseman, a Methodist circuit rider. The congregation moved to the new railroad town of Avoca when the present sanctuary was completed in 1906. The original steeple was later destroyed by a storm, and the belfry was added in 1953 under the supervision of the Rev. Joe Grimes to house two railroad locomotive bells. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1981. #252

?, Avoca, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ayres Cemetery. In 1861 Benjamin Patton Ayres (ca. 1801-62) and his wife, Emily (Cozart) (ca. 1811-63), bought a 320-acre farm and set aside two acres on this hillside as a family cemetery. Ayres, who had served as the second Tarrant County clerk and who helped organize the Fort Worth First Christian Church, was the first buried here. An unknown number of graves, which lie outside the fenced family plot, include victims of spring fevers and Trinity River floods. None of their headstones have survived, but the Ayres Cemetery remains as a symbol of the area's early settlers. (1984) #253

2500 block Scott St., Fort Worth, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Azariah G. Moore. A soldier and ranger in the Texas War for Independence; member of Captain Billingsley's Mina Volunteers, 1836. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962 #254

FM 3371, Lost Prairie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Azle Christian Church. This congregation grew from worship services conducted here in the 1880s on land donated by Dr. Azle Stewart, for whom the town was named. Organized in 1890, the Fellowship met under a brush arbor until 1893, when the first sanctuary was completed. The earliest youth organization for the church was the Christian Endeavor, started about 1904. Members of that group established the first Public Library for Azle in the home of Valera Huster. Additions were later made to the original structure and a new sanctuary was built in 1974. (1980) #255

117 Church St., Azle, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Azle Schools. According to local tradition, pioneer settler J.G. Reynolds started the first area school in the 1850s. Early classes were held in log cabins and in the Ash Creek Baptist Church building. Despite interruptions caused by Indian attacks and the Civil War, the Azle Schools grew through consolidation with such nearby schools as Promised Land, Steele, Slover, Sabathany, Liberty, Briar, Bluff Springs and a local college started by William Lipscomb. An independent district since the 1950s, the Azle school system serves as a reminder of the community's pioneer heritage. (1982) #256

301 Church St., Azle, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
B. T. Brown House. One of the oldest structures in Breckenridge, this ranch house was erected by Benjamin Tarver Brown (1831-1905), a Confederate Army Captain who came to Stephens County in 1866. He built this house in 1876, the year Breckenridge was founded as county seat. Limestone blocks were cut nearby for the 18-inch thick walls, and other building materials were hauled by wagon from Fort Worth. The structure was restored by Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Kelley, who purchased it in 1941. #257

US 83 at Brown Branch Creek bridge, Breckenridge, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Barnhart Cowboy Church. Local residents, representing several faiths, gathered for an outdoor community meeting in 1914 to organize this Union church. The sanctuary was constructed by cowboys from area ranches, working under the supervision of W. H. Parker and his brother-in-law Henry Barker. Completed in 1917, the building was known as the Cowboy Church. Since the early days of Barnhart, members of various Christian denominations have worshiped here together. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #258

5th St. and Draper, Barnhart, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Cecil and Frances Brown House. Designed by Houston architect Henry A. Stubee and built in 1938, this was the home of local civic, church, and business leader Cecil Brown and his wife Frances. Both were from pioneer Quaker families. Mr. Brown was prominent in the Gulf Coast fig industry (1920s-1950s) and is credited with much of Friendswood's development. For many years after its construction, this French eclectic style house was the first and only brick residence in the Friendswood area. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997 #259

312 Friendswood Dr., Friendswood, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bear Creek Settlement. Started in 1850s by rancher Raleigh Gentry, who built a 2-room log house and cleared a small farm, but in 1862 sold out to cattlemen Rance Moore. 1860s settlers included Wm. and Lane Gibson, Charlie Jones, John New, A. J. Nixon, Billie Waites. Others came in 1870s after raids by Indians and outlaws were ended. #260

?, Junction, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Burial Site of David G. Burnet. Provisional President of Texas (March 16, 1836 - Oct. 22, 1836). A man of strong principle who carried a gun in one pocket and a Bible in the other, Burnet (1788-1870) acted as a cohesive force in the chaotic days of early Texas independence, though his dour, quick-tempered disposition kept him from ever winning wide popularity. As an idealistic youth, he took part in the Miranda Expeditions (1806 and 1808) to free Venezuela from Spain, almost losing his life to yellow fever. He bought a trading post, 1817, in Louisiana, but had to sell it after developing tuberculosis. Though weak from the disease, he rode to West Texas, where he fell into the hands of unusually friendly Comanches. He lived with them for 18 months, thus becoming an expert on the pre-settlement days of these Indians. Burnet began his statesman's career in 1833 when Texas was beginning her fight for independence from Mexico. In 1836, he ran as a compromise candidate for the presidency of the Republic of Texas and won by 6 votes. His interim government was mainly concerned with winning military victory and escaping, sometimes only by minutes, Mexican troops. In later years, he held various offices under the Republic and State of Texas. He married Hannah Hste in 1830 and they had four children. #261

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Barnhart. Named for William F. Barnhart, an agent of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad, this community was founded in 1910. During the 1920s and 1930s it was a major freighting center and considered by many the largest inland livestock shipping point. The Ozona-Barnhart Trap Co. set up cattle holding pens (traps) along the trails into town to protect area ranches. Barnhart declined with decreased rail traffic. It was once the site of a school, post office, newspaper, drugstore, theatre, bank, four cafes, two hotels, three groceries, and a variety of other businesses. (1981) #262

?, Barnhart, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Camp Wallace. Named for World War I army Colonel Elmer J. Wallace, Camp Wallace was established as a training facility for military personnel during World War II. The U. S. government acquired more than 3,300 acres of land between the towns of Hitchcock and Alta Loma on State Highway 6 for placement of the facility. Construction began in November 1940. Before the erection of structures, 17 miles of access roads were built, 29 miles of electrical lines were installed, and a 2.9-mile spur rail track from the main rail line were laid. The site contained a total of 399 structures. Some buildings were constructed at Galveston's Fort Crockett and transported to the site, including a cold storage depot, bakery, laundry, and morgue. The camp contained a medical facility, 161 barracks, and a service club. By May 1941 the camp accommodated 10,250 people, including officers, enlisted personnel, and civilian staff. Training continued through World War II. The site also housed German prisoners of war. In April 1945, Camp Wallace was transferred to naval supervision, and later served as a distribution center releasing veterans back into civilian life. The site was used by the Red Cross in 1947 following the explosions at Texas City. The camp was declared surplus by the U. S. government in 1947. (1996) #263

?, Hitchcock, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Brackettville, 1688. #264

?, Brackettville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Brambletye. Brambletye was built between 1895 and 1900 by English immigrant William Hall (b. 1833), who came to Texas in 1888. After Hall's death in 1900, the stone house and surrounding ranchland were owned by several early ranch families. Prominently sited on a hill overlooking Bear Creek, known earlier as Viejo Creek, Brambletye is a rare example of late 19th-century English vernacular architecture in the Texas Hill Country. It features hand cut stone walls two feet thick and ceiling beams of hand-hewn walnut and other hardwoods. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #265

?, Junction, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Campbell Home. - - #266

1515 Broadway, Galveston, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Site Of Landmark Campbell's Bayou. Settled 1821 by privateer James Campbell (1791-1856), U. S. Navy veteran, War of 1812, who after discharge was lieutenant and close friend of buccaneer Jean Lafitte, operating out of Galveston (then called Campeche). In Karankawa Indian rituals about 1817, Mary Sabinal (1795-1884) became Campbell's bride. When Lafitte left Texas in 1821, Campbell pleased his wife by settling here as a rancher. Community remained until its second destruction by hurricane, 1915. Graves of the Campbells and many other early Texans are in cemetery at Campbell's Bayou. #267

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Rt. Rev. Monsignor Marius Etienne Chataignon. (September 17, 1886 - November 18, 1957) A native of France, Marius Etienne Chataignon served in the French army before coming to the United States in 1907. He came to Texas in 1910 to attend St. Mary's Seminary in La Porte. After his ordination, he was appointed assistant pastor at St. Mary's Cathedral in Galveston in 1911. Chataignon served as a chaplain in the U. S. Army in France during World War I. Appointed chaplain in the U. S. Army Officers Reserve Corps in 1923, he also served with the Texas National Guard, 36th Division. In 1924 he became pastor of Galveston's Sacred Heart Church. In 1942 "Father Chat, Galveston's soldier priest," as he was fondly known, was promoted to the rank of colonel and served as chief chaplain of the II Corps, 5th Army in North Africa and Italy during World War II. Pope Pius XII appointed Father Chataignon to the rank of domestic Prelate in 1943. Monsignor Chataignon returned to Sacred Heart Church in 1945 a highly decorated veteran and retired from the army in 1953. During his years as pastor at Sacred Heart, "Father Chat" was instrumental in the establishment of the Odin High School for Boys which became Kirwin High School, and he organized Boy Scout troops. He is buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Dickinson. (1991) Incise on base: Msgr. Chataignon Knights of Columbus #9978 #268

1302 Broadway, Galveston, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Wilbur Cherry. Served in the Texas army, 1836. Purchased the "Galveston News" 1843. Born in New Haven, N. Y. January 4, 1820; died June 19, 1873. His wife Catherine Crosby French Cherry born in Sligo, Ireland, February 22, 1826; died February 15, 1909. #269

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Wilbur Cherry House. New York native Wilbur Cherry (1819-1873), a veteran of the Texas revolution, had this two-story home built about 1852. A pioneer Texas newspaperman, Cherry had earlier helped establish a local paper, now the "Galveston Daily News. His residence, one of the oldest on the island, features a distinctive three-bay double gallery with square pillars. Cherry's widow Catherine (d. 1911) continued to reside here past the turn of the century. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #270

1602 Church, Galveston, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Brummett Cemetery. Between Old Laredo Road and Fort Ewell Road, in a locality accessible to the pioneers, this cemetery was in use by 1860, as shown by gravestone of Elijah Ross, aged two. The burial ground was deeded to the public by Mrs. Kizzie Brummett and her son William Brummett on Sept. 21, 1889. Interments have included John T. Brummett (1815-1881), the husband and father to the donors; two Brummett daughters; noted early Texan James Washington Winters (1817-1903), a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto; also many Winters descendants. There are now (1974) about 275 graves. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2006 #271

?, Bigfoot, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Baccus Cemetery. Henry Cook (1775-1862), a veteran of the War of 1812, settled here in 1845 as a member of the Peters Colony. His log house, located nearby, was a landmark on the Shawnee Trail. He first used this property as a family cemetery in 1847 for the burial of his son Daniel (b. 1831). His daughter Rachel Cook Baccus deeded the burial ground to his heirs in 1878. She later donated adjoining land for construction of the Baccus Christian Church Sanctuary. The cemetery, named in her honor about 1915, is still in use. The church was disbanded in the 1930s. ** (1980)*** #272

?, Frisco, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bacon Home. This two-story brick home was built in 1916 for Warren A. Bacon (1871-1938), a prominent Lubbock business and civic leader, and his wife Myrta (Hunt) (1878-1967), daughter of a pioneer area family. The Bacon residence was constructed from plans of W. M. Rice, a noted Amarillo architect, and was located in the Overton Addition, the first residential addition to the original townsite of Lubbock. It remained in the Bacon family for over 65 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982. #273

1802 Broadway, Lubbock, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bagby House. In 1864, James Henry and Mary Franklin in Bagby moved their family to Waco Village where J.H. Bagby became a farmer and cotton broker. They built this home on their 100 acre farm probably in the late 1880s. Orginally a one-story l-shaped house, it features late Victorian architectural styling with some Queen Anne influences. Interesting features include the fishscale shingles in the gables and the corner jigsawn woodwork. #274

?, Waco, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bagdad-Matamoros, C.S.A.. Civil War "Sister Cities", across the river in neutral Mexico. Were linked to Texas by a ferry which landed here. Ferry hauled to Matamoros the Confederate cotton brought from East Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas to Brownsville. In Matamoros, many speculators and agents vied for cotton to ship to Europe, via Havana. They offered in exchange vital goods: guns, ammunition, drugs, shoes, cloth. At Bagdad, on the Gulf, cotton was loaded from small boats onto ships riding the Gulf of Mexico. Goods crossing here were the South's lifeblood. #275

?, Brownsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bailey County. A part of Bexar Territory 1836-1876. Created August 21, 1876, organized November 5, 1918. Named in honor of Peter James Bailey 1812-1836. A Kentucky lawyer killed in defending the Alamo. Muleshoe, the County Seat. #276

?, Muleshoe, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
J. W. and Nannie C. Bailey House. J.W Bailey (1825-1899) built this home in 1897-98 as a residence for his wife Nannie C. Green (1851-1936) and family. Inherited by their daughter Indian Bailey Kerr and her husband John A. Kerr in 1936, the house remained in the family until 1948. A modest Queen Anne style residence, it features a gable roof, tapered wood porch posts on brick piers, wood sash double and triple-hung windows, long leaf pine woodwork, and a single door entry with a transom. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1996 #277

623 St. Michael St., Gonzales, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
George Campbell Childress. (January 8, 1804 - October 6, 1841) Born into a prominent Nashville, Tennessee, family, George Campbell Childress attended Davidson Academy (later the University of Nashville). He was admitted to the bar in 1828, the same year he married Margaret Vance. She died in 1835, soon after the birth of a son. Childress first visited Texas in 1834, at the urging of his uncle, empresario Sterling Clark Robertson. He soon returned to Nashville, however, and worked as a newspaper editor. By January 1836, he had returned to Texas and settled in Robertson's colony. The following month Childress and Robertson were elected delegates to the Convention of 1836, where the Texas Declaration of Independence was adopted on March 2. Childress is considered to be the primary author of that document. Sent by the Republic of Texas to attain recognition of the new country by the United States, Childress was unsuccessful and returned to Tennessee for a time. While there he married Rebecca Stuart Jennings. By 1841 Childress was in Galveston in an unsuccessful attempt to establish a law practice. Despondent over his financial situation, he committed suicide on Oct. 6 and was buried in an unmarked grave. Thirty-five years later Childress County was named in his honor. #278

722 Moody, Galveston, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
George Washington Baines House. Built in the 1860s, this house was the residence of the Rev. George Washington Baines (1809-83) from 1870 to 1883. A pioneer Baptist preacher, missionary, editor, and educator, the Rev. Baines was the great-grandfather of United States President Lyndon Baines Johnson. The one-and-one-half-story frame house features characteristics of the Greek Revival style, including the distinctive front porch with square columns, transoms, and delicate ornamentation. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #279

316 Royal St., Salado, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Baker Ranch School. Since there were no public schools in rural Ector County, R.W. Smith and Teague Baker in 1906 erected an 8'x10' school building in Baker's pasture. They hired a teacher at $15 a month, plus room and board, which each furnished on alternate months. Ranch schools like this one taught not only children of ranchers, but also those of cowboys and nesters--small farmers coming west to homestead or to by land at nominal prices. Baker community later had a public school. Till the permian basin had good roads and buses, ranch schools served it well. #280

?, Odessa, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ben Marshall Baker. (1837-1907) Influential owner-editor of "Colorado Citizens," whch he and brothers, Hicks and James, founded in 1857. All joined Confederate Army in Civil War; Hicks was killed. In ill Health, James moved away. Ben published "Citizens," 1873-1907. This was his home. Widow Virginia (Cunningham) lived here until 1916. #281

722 Jackson Street, Columbus, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
William Thatcher Baker. Farmer, rancher, merchant, and ginner. Born in Ohio, in 1850 he moved to Pleasant Run, Dallas County, Texas. Married Miss Emily Beeman, the daughter of James J. Beeman, Dallas pioneer. Although a Unionist, as a loyal Texan he made shoes for Confederacy in Civil War, 1861-65. Later he ran ferry 1-1/2 miles below Dowdy's Ferry on Trinity River. Moved (1879) to Plum Creek Farm, Hamilton County. Established post office named "Ohio" there on May 4, 1882. #282

?, Hamilton, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Baker-Doyle Building. John D. Baker (1848-1899) had this building constructed in 1882 for his dry goods store. A merchant and community leader, Baker later moved to Weatherford. His partner, James H. Doyle (1846-1933), became sole owner of the building in 1899. Later occupants included city national bank, grocers, dentists, and doctors. Built of native limestone, the high victorian italianate structure features arched window openings with fanlights and a simple stone cornice. #283

123 N. Houston St., Granbury, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Baker-Rylee Building and Town Square Service Station. This cut limestone structure was built in 1895 to house the hardware operation of D.O. Baker and J.D. Rylee. The following year, Baker's brother Jess joined the partnership, and in 1898 the store became the Baker Hardware Company. When the Transcontinental Oil Company purchased the building in 1929, two walls were removed to provide automobile access for the sale of gasoline. A landmark on the square, the building reflects Granbury's early commercial growth. #284

210 E. Pearl St., Granbury, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Balch-Senterwood Cemetery. This graveyard was established in 1856 adjacent to the Balch Cemetery for the African American population following the death of a slave girl killed by a black bear. The girl had come to Alvarado with George Sigler and his family, whose farm was located south of the Balch Community Cemetery. Among those buried here are victims of an epidemic of smallpox, and other diseases such as diphtheria, whooping cough, and tuberculosis. Casualties included numerous children. The need for burial space became acute by 1911 following these disease-related deaths. A. J. Senter, local businessman and undertaker, donated additional land to the Alvarado "Colored" Cemetery in 1911. The site was renamed Senterwood Cemetery in his honor. The need for more burial plots in the 1940s was resolved through the purchase of one acre of land by the Baker Funeral Home of Fort Worth. Interments in this cemetery include many business owners, church leaders, and veterans of World War I, World War II, and the Vietnam War. Cemetery maintenance, previously dependent upon local volunteers, was performed under the direction of the Johnson County Cemetery Association. The Balch-Senterwood Cemetery continues to serve the surrounding communities. (1996) #285

?, Alvarado, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Baldridge House. This property was part of the original Chamerlain-Arlington Heights development of the 1890s. Earl and Florence Baldridge built this elegant residence in 1910-13. Designed by the architectural firm of Sanguinet & Staats, it was a showplace of the time. Massive limestone columns line of the line facade. Carved oak woodwork decorates the interior. The home was occupied for many years by W.C. Stonestreet, a prominent Fort Worth clothier. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978. #286

5100 Crestline Rd., Fort Worth, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ball Knob Cemetery. Land originally owned by James Ball, Sr. (1789-1867), member of pioneer family. Used as burial ground for family and friends. Deeded 1890, by J.S. and Nancy Ball to Audubon community. Incorporated as cemetery association 1962. #287

CR 2475, NE of Alvord, Alvord, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ballinger. Originally called Hutchins City. Promoted by Santa Fe Rwy. Named for Judge William Pitt Ballinger (1825-1888), railroad attorney and townsite official. Distinguished Texas statesmen, veteran of the Mexican War. In the Civil War helped establish defenses of Galveston, served as Confederate receiver of enemy aliens property, was sent to negotiate peace for Texas. Ballinger is county seat, and farm-ranch center. Industries include dairying, meat products, leather goods manufacturing. Has annual rodeo, livestock and quarterhorse shows. #288

US 83 and US 67, Ballinger, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Band Stand. Originally built before 1885, on Constitution Street side of the public square, for public gatherings and concerts. Moved to center of public square and placed upon foundation of the old standpipe in 1923. Completely restored in 1962 by Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Pickering. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964 #289

Main & Constitution Sts., in Memorial Plaza, Victoria, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bandera County. A strategic Indian point in early days. Rangers and Comanches struggled here in 1843. In 1854 Elder Lyman Wight settled Mormon Colony. In 1855 Poles settled here. From early days a part of Bexar County, created and organized in 1856. Bandera, the County Seat founded by John James, Charles de Montel and John Herndon in 1853. #290

?, Bandera, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bandera County Courthouse. First permanent courthouse for county, which was organized in 1856, but used makeshift quarters for offices and courtrooms until this building was erected 1890-91. Style is local version of the Second Renaissance Revival. White limestone for the structure was quarried locally. B.F. Trester of San Antonio drew the plans--for $5. Contractors: Ed Braden & Sons. Interior was remodeled and a wing added in 1966. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1972. #291

504 Main St., Bandera, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bandera Methodist Church. Built 1880 by members under leadership of B.F. Langford, Sr. Gothic architecture. Hand-cut limestone, with oak timbers. Though enlarged and remodeled, retains original charm. Rev. John Devilbiss (who helped found first Protestant church in San Antonio) held services here 1861. Church organized 1867 by Rev. A.J. Potter; charter members included Rugh, Langford, Stevens Families. Daniel Rugh organized first Sunday school, April 18, 1869. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967. #292

?, Bandera, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bandera Pass. Celebrated Indian pass known from the earliest days of Spanish settlement. Identified with many a frontier fight and many a hostile inroad. Old Ranger trail from the Medina to the Guadalupe River and the United States Army route between frontier posts followed this route through the mountains. #293

?, Bandera, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bandera's First Bank. Bandera's First Bank. On Texas Republic land grant. Hand-cut native rock. Built about 1860. A school, home, shop. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965. #294

?, Bandera, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bandstand. Built by subscribed funds, about 1907. Stage for city's patriotic, political rallies, entertainments, concerts by city band, made up of music lovers of all ages, talents. Once on southeast, then southwest corner of court square. Moved here in 1963. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967 #295

?, Bay City, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bangs Public Schools. The town of Bangs was established on the route of the Santa Fe Railroad, which deeded land to the city for a school. The first school building, a two-room frame structure on the south side of the railroad tracks, was completed in 1892. Miss Clemie King was the first teacher; enrollment totaled 35 pupils. A new 2-story stone structure, built on the north side of the tracks in 1903, replaced the first building. Over the years the school system has grown and built additional facilities. Nine other area schools have consolidated with the Bangs school system since its founding. (1992) #296

?, Bangs, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bank of Menard, 1903. Built of native stone for settlers then keeping money in merchants' safes or riding 60 robber-infested miles to do banking. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964. #297

Bevans & San Saba St., Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Banquete Cemetery. In June 1832 the colony of Irish families settled along the Nueces River by John McMullen and James McGloin was linked to Mexico by completion of the Matamoros Road. Mexican officials sponsored a Fiesta near this site as a goodwill gesture to the colonists. The village that later grew up here was called "Banquete", the Mexican name for the 4-day celebration. Banquete was settled before the civil war (1861-65) as a stock raising and horse trading center. During the war, it was an important stop on the trade route to Mexico. Oldest marked grave in Banquete Cemetery (1 mile east) is that of Joseph P. Madray (b. 1840), a local rancher who was serving in the confederate army when he died of typhoid fever, June 2, 1863. Also buried here are other confederate soldiers and prominent Banquete residents, including members of the Bennett, Elliff, Saunders, and Wright families. By tradition, the cemetery property was once the site of stockpens belonging to Sally Scull, notorious horse trader and cotton freighter of the civil war period. Pioneer rancher B.A. Bennett (b. 1824) deeded one acre for the community burial ground in 1910. In the 1950's, another acre was added to the cemetery, which contains about 200 marked graves. #298

SH 44 E of Banquete, Banquete, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Banquete, C.S.A.. In the critical civil war years, Banquete meant water, supplies, repairs and defenses to thousands on arid trips along the Cotton Road to Mexico. The Cotton Road was well known, for it followed a segment of the historic "King's Highway" of early explorers. Yet its vital role for 4 years in supplying the confederacy earned it undying fame. It was the way to Mexico's border towns of Bagdad and Matamoros, where 20,000 speculators clamored for cotton, using valuable European goods to make attractive bargains. To get guns, ammunition, shoes, clothing, medicines--necessities scarce at home--the confederacy sent to neutral Mexico long trains of 5 to 15 wagons or ox carts that lumbered for many weeks over the desert. Sometimes to lighten a load for an exhausted team, cotton bales might be hidden in roadside brush. The traffic left signs in the wilds. Often the landscape would whiten with the lint thorned off passing loads. Banquete's water made possible the long hauls to Mexico and back to the goods-hungry confederate population. Thus the town named for an 1832 fiesta honoring Texas colonists served a strategic role in the history of the civil war, 1861-65. #299

SH 44 at FM 666, Banquete, TX, United States