Biggio-Kowalski-De La Garza House. Chester C. Biggio, a railroad official and the city's first fire chief, had this home built in 1909 for his family. He died in 1923, and in 1938 his widow Laura Blossman Biggio sold the house to Louis and Dorothy Kowalski. They lived here with their six children until 1948. Leonor de La Garza bought the house in 1965; her sister Fidela inherited it in 1973. The house is a good example of the American foursquare form. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1996 #405

1620 Farragut, Laredo, TX, United States

Biggs Air Force Base. Formerly Biggs Field. It is a powerful arm of the U.S. Air Force Strategic Air Command and was first used in March, 1916 by the U. S. Army First Aero Squadron en route to Columbus, New Mexico, following the Pancho Villa raid. In 1925, it was officially named in honor of Lt. James B. Biggs, native El Pasoan. During World War II, it trained bombing crews who served their country with honor and distinction. Presented by the State National Bank of El Paso, 1962 #406

?, El Paso, TX, United States

Billionth Barrel. On May 25, 1965, from one of 7,400 producing oil wells in the county's 196 fields, came the Billionth Barrel of Andrews County crude oil. In the 35 years and 5 months since oil flowed from the county's discovery well, C. E. Ogden No. 1, in Dec. 1929, Andrews has attained a new place in history. In 1929, the county had about 400 people. Its wealth, mostly in land and livestock, amounted to $8,109,399. Five persons in the county filed income tax returns. There were fewer than 100 children in school. Highway bonds in the amount of $200,000 were about to be issued, as a measure for county improvement. By 1956, Andrews County produced more than 60,000,000 barrels of oil annually--gaining recognition as number one in Texas and in the United States. Of great significance is the fact that presently proven reserves underlying the county total more than one billion barrels, without any consideration for additional recoveries by secondary methods. Andrews is more than a product of the billion barrels of crude of oil it has produced, more than the gasoline plants working through the night, more than modern highways, paved streets, homes, schools, dreams. Its destiny is great in human resources--and oil. (1965) #407

?, Andrews, TX, United States

Bird Creek Battlefield. Named in honor of Captain John Bird who lost his life here May 26, 1839 With only 34 Texas Rangers he met 240 Indians at this point, and routed them. #409

?, Temple, TX, United States

Bird Creek Indian Battle. May 26, 1839 This marker commemorates the death of captain John Bird, Sergeant William Weaver, Jesse E. Nash, H. M. C. Hall Thomas Gay, and the heroic and successful battle of a Ranger force of 34 against 240 Indians. #410

?, Temple, TX, United States

Joseph Bird. (July 15, 1821-August 15, 1909) For more than 50 years after becoming a pioneer settler of this area, North Carolina native Joseph Bird greatly contributed to the development of Blanco County as a distinguished frontier Baptist minister, postmaster, Civil War soldier, county judge, rancher, and prominent community leader. Bird married Eliza L. Doriss in Arkansas in 1844. About 1854 they and their six children settled on land between Cypress Creek and the Pedernales River. They built a log cabin close to this site about 1858 and eventually their family grew to include 12 children. The area's pioneer settlement, called Birdtown in Joseph's honor, was renamed Round Mountain by the time a post office was established here in 1857. Bird served as postmaster in 1859-66 and in 1873-74. For the Baptist churches he helped found in the area Bird served as an itinerant pastor and performed marriages, baptisms, and funeral services. He enlisted in the Confederate army as a first lieutenant in 1862 and was stationed at Camp Groce, Waller County, Texas. Bird moved to Johnson City while serving his two terms as Blanco county judge in the early 1890s. Eliza Bird died in 1896 and in 1900 Joseph married Martha A. Gill. Bird was buried in the Round Mountain Cemetery. (1994) #411

?, Round Mountain, TX, United States

Birdville Baptist Church. Organized late in 1853 by J. Boone, S. Elliott, J. Freeman, W. Giddens, and R. Pickett. After an 1856-64 lapse, ten members reorganized as the United Baptist Church at Fossil Creek. In 1917 congregation adopted present name. (1971) #412

3145 Carson St, Haltom City, TX, United States

Birdville Cemetery. The oldest marked grave in this pioneer community cemetery is that of Wiley Wilda Potts (Dec. 20, 1822 - Dec. 15, 1852). The one-acre tract, then part of the George Akers Grant, was legally set aside for burial purposes before 1860. More land was later donated, and by 1910 the site included 3.27 acres. Birdville Cemetery Association, organized under a 50-year charter in 1917, was rechartered in 1967. The cemetery contained 552 known graves in 1965. Several families have four generations buried here in the same plot. The site now encompasses seven acres and is still used for burials. (1975) #413

6100 block of E. Bellknap, Fort Worth, TX, United States

Birdville Church of Christ. On February 26, 1852, soon after Birdville became the Tarrant County seat, 12 charter members attended this congregation's first worship service. After reorganizing in 1882, the members met in the Birdville school building. In 1900, Richard M. Gano, the well-known evangelist and Confederate general, conducted a revival. This land was acquired from the John McCord family and a frame building was erected in 1906. After a 1950 fire, this brick auditorium was constructed and then repaired after a 1970 fire. (1979) #414

3208 Carson St., Haltom City, TX, United States

Birome. Founded 1910. One of five International and Great Northern Railway stations in southern Hill County. Important agricultural market. Named for Bickham and Jerome Cartwright, descendants of settler Matthew Cartwright, whose 1856 land patent included this townsite. #415

?, Birome, TX, United States

Birthplace of Texas 4-H Clubs. First Texas Boys' Corn Club was founded in Jacksboro, 1908, by Tom M. Marks (1865-1906), first Jack County agent. This was a forerunner of U.S. 4-H clubs, now international, and part of the cooperative extension service. Lack of adult interest in a 1907 corn show prompted friends to tell Marks, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". Marks replied, "Then I'll start with the pups". 111 boys enrolled as demonstrators. Marks' 1908 show drew national attention, and he was called to Washington to aid in setting up extension program. Erected by Jack County 4-H Clubs. (1968) #416

237 Belknap St., Jacksboro, TX, United States

Birthplace of the SPJST. On December 28, 1896, twenty-five Czech-Texans gathered in the district courtroom of this courthouse to establish a new fraternal benefit insurance society, the Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas, more commonly known a the SPJST. The SPJST held its first convention in the same room on June 20, 1897. I. J. Gallia served as the society's first president and J. R. Kubena was the first secretary. The SPJST officially began its business in Texas on July 1, 1897. SPJST headquarters now is located in Temple. #417

?, La Grange, TX, United States

Bishop. The town of Bishop was established in 1910 by F.Z. Bishop on land he had purchased from the Driscoll Ranch. The townsite was staked on both sides of the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico railroad line. F.Z. Bishop, who dreamed of building a model town on the prairie, managed construction of the town. Bishop planned the townsite and designed the business district to have a uniform appearance with brick facades. He began construction of an electric plant and water system, planted 600 palm trees along the streets, and laid three miles of sidewalks in town. A 40-acre city park with a lake, band pavilion and deer park were underway. A frame schoolhouse was built, and opened in September 1910. The town grew quickly and within two years the population had grown to 1,000. The town was incorporated in April 1912; R.R. Hall, business manager for F.Z. Bishop, was elected first mayor. Churches were built. A two story brick school with a raised basement replaced the first school. Although F.Z. Bishop declared bankruptcy in 1916, the town continued to grow and prosper. Oil and gas discoveries in the 1940's caused petroleum-related industries to supplant agriculture as the chief economic base. F.Z. Bishop was buried in Bishop in 1950. #418

Ash and E Main St., Bishop, TX, United States

Bishop Peter Verdaguer. Born in the Cataluna region of Spain, the most Rev. Peter Verdaguer de Prat studied in the United States. He was ordained (1862) in San Francisco and ministered at Catholic Indian missions in California. While serving at Our Lady of the Angels Church in Los Angeles, he was nominated for the Vicariate of Brownsville. Consecrated a Bishop in Barcelona in 1890, he sailed to Corpus Christi and in 1891 took up residence in Laredo. Entrusted with the care of 42,500 Catholics, Bishop Verdaguer faced two severe problems: the extreme poverty of the Vicariate and the mobility of the many Mexican-Americans among his flock. The great drought of the early 1890s aggravated the situation. Bishop Verdaguer spent much of his time traveling on horseback from Laredo to Victoria and Brownsville, baptizing, marrying and confirming the faithful on South Texas ranches. Despite hardship, three new churches were built in Laredo from 1896 to 1909. During the tenure of the most Rev. Verdaguer, the number of Catholics in the Vicariate rose to 82,000, and the number of churches, schools and clergy increased significantly. After his death, the Vicariate continued to exist until 1913, when the Diocese of Corpus Christi was established. (1978) #419

US 59, Laredo Catholic Cemetery, Laredo, TX, United States

Bivins Home. Prominent area rancher Lee Bivins (1862-1929) built this elegant town home in 1905. The brick and stone structure features classical styling. In addition to his large cattle operation, Bivins pioneered much of the Panhandle's oil and gas development. A philanthropist and community leader, Bivins was serving as mayor of Amarillo at the time of his death. His widow Mary Elizabeth Gilbert Bivins (1862-1951) bequeathed the residence to the city of Amarillo. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965. #420

1000 Polk St, Amarillo, TX, United States

Black Education in Seguin. Sponsored by the Second Baptist Church, the first public school for blacks in Seguin opened in 1871. Through the efforts of the Rev. Leonard Ilsley (1818-1903), and the Rev. William Baton Ball (1840-1923), a frame school was built on this site, and named Abraham Lincoln School. Ball was the first principal. In 1892, the Lincoln School became a part of the Seguin Public School System. The name was changed to Ball High School in 1925, and ceased to be separate facility for blacks in 1966 when the Seguin Public School System was integrated. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. #421

225 North Saunders, Seguin, TX, United States

Subjects
Black Gap Wildlife Management Area. Black Gap, a natural cleft in the basalt ridge northeast of the Sierra del Carmen the headquaters site of the Black Gap Wildlife Mangement Area. Established in 1948, the "Gap" contains approximately 100,000 acres representative of the rugged big country- the typical arid, mountainous southwest. Owned by the people of Texas and operated by the Game and Fish Commission, the area is the scene of research and developmental work dedicated to the conservtion and restortion of wildlife species indigenous to the region. mule, deer, javelina, prong-horned antelope and scaled quail are among the principal game species managed. Work is in process to restore the bighorn sheep which, by the 1960' were all but eliminated from Texas. Scientific land use practices, designed to increases the yield of natural food for wildlife, have been instituted by the Commision, water impoundment, diversion dams and "push ups" seeded with native vegation. Research findings, through demonstratins and educational extension programs conducted on this federal-state cooperative project, are available to the surrounding landowners and others who are interested. Game surpluses produced on the Black Gap are harvested periodically by hunters under a controlled public hunt program. #422

?, Marathon, TX, United States

Black Springs. Settled before the Civil War and named for the area's early water source, located nearby, the Black Springs community played a significant role in the growth of Palo Pinto County. Prominent individuals associated with the town included early cattlemen and trail drivers Oliver Loving and Charles Goodnight and J. J. "Jack" Cureton, a noted military veteran and pioneer. In 1886 the community was renamed Oran in honor of Texas Governor Oran M. Roberts. Once the county's leading town and the site of stores, churches, a school and railroad, it declined in the 1930s and 1940s. (1982) #423

?, Oran, TX, United States

Black Springs Cemetery. Originally known as the Black Springs Cemetery, the nearby burial ground was established to serve pioneer settlers of the Keechi Valley and the settlement of Black Springs. The earliest marked grave is that of Mary A. Lasater (1841-1871). Land for the cemetery was deeded by Silas Adam Sheek, stepfather of the noted Texas cattleman Charles Goodnight. Renamed Oran Cemetery when a new community name was selected in 1886, it includes the graves of Goodnight's mother Charlotte Sheek (1810-1882), Civil War veterans, pioneer settlers and early community leaders. (1982) #424

?, Oran, TX, United States

Blair House. A native of Georgia, J. T. Blair (1876-1949) migrated to this area in 1897. He married Carrie Agnes Love, of a pioneer Coleman County family. They had five children. Blair served as foreman of the Overall Ranch, in addition to managing his own ranch property. In 1914 he built this residence in town so his children could attend Coleman schools. Designed by architect J. P. Caldwell, the Classical Revival home was owned for 60 years by the Blair family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978 #425

416 W. College Ave., Coleman, TX, United States

Blanco County. Formed from Burnet, Hays, Gillespie and Comal counties. Created February 12, 1858, organized April 12, 1858. Named for the stream which traverses the region. County seat, Blanco City, 1858-1890; Johnson City, since. #426

?, Johnson City, TX, United States

Blanco County Courthouse. Designed by San Antonio architect Henry T. Phelps, the 1916 Blanco County Courthouse was the first permanent courthouse built after the seat of government moved from Blanco to Johnson City in 1890. Serving as contractor for the project was stonemason James Waterston, who had come from Scotland to Texas in 1883 to aid in the construction of the state Capitol. The Classical Revival limestone structure features Doric columns and a domed cupola. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #427

?, Johnson City, TX, United States

Subjects
Old Blanco County Courthouse. Designed in Victorian style by architect F. E. Ruffini. Erected in 1886 as first permanent county courthouse, building served only four years--until 1890. County seat then moved to Johnson City. Purchased by Chas. E. Crist, the structure entered varied career as school, Blanco National Bank, office of "Blanco County News," opera house, Farmers' Union Hall, and hospital (1936-70). Now houses Blanco Museum of Early West. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -- 1972 #428

?, Blanco, TX, United States

1894 Blanco County Jail. Noting the unhealthy dampness of the basement where prisoners were first kept after the Blanco County seat was moved to Johnson City, the commissioners court ordered the construction of this jail facility in 1893. Completed the following year, the jailhouse was built of limestone by J. E. L. (Kergie) Dildine (1853-1925), a rock mason who came to Blanco County from Kansas in the 1880s. Despite an 1897 jailbreak, the facility has continued in use, with interior modifications to meet state jail standards. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #429

?, Johnson City, TX, United States

Blanco High School. Chartered in 1883, Blanco High School began as a combination private and public school. A white limestone schoolhouse was constructed at this site and opened for classes in October 1884. During its early years, Blanco High School offered a six-month public school term and a ten-month private school term. Over the years, the school has grown through consolidation, and new facilities have been built to match its growth. Throughout its history, Blanco High School has continued to meet the need for rural education in the surrounding area. (1984) #430

814 11th St., Blanco, TX, United States

Blanco Methodist Church. Organized, 1854, by Rev. Daniel Rawls, Methodist circuit rider. Six charter members. Worship was held in log cabin and frame building until 1882. Present structure erected, dedicated, 1883. Still serves as church sanctuary. Native limestone hauled 10 miles from quarry by ox cart and wagon team. Unique cornerstone is laid above east doorway arch. Tower bell is same as installed in 1883. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967 #431

?, Blanco, TX, United States

Blasingame Home. When J.W. Pipkin constructed this Colonial Revival residence in 1910, Plainview was experiencing a period of dramatic economic development as a railroad center. In 1918 the home was purchased by F.E. Blasingame and his wife Mary (Rimes). For over sixty years they operated local restaurants which became popular social gathering places under their management. The home remained in the Blasingame's ownership until 1981. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #433

909 El Paso, Plainview, TX, United States

Bledsoe Santa Fe Depot. A relic from one of America's last frontiers. Built in 1925 on range land of newly organized Cochran County, at Bledsoe, this structure not only served its purpose as a railroad station, but was a meeting hall for churches and social groups. Sheepherders and cowboys would bed down on its floor when detained at the station in shipping season. Phased out of service by 1966, structure was moved 70 miles to be preserved by Gene Hemmle. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973. #434

6105 19th Street, Lubbock, TX, United States

Blevins Community and School. The community of Blevins began about 1860, when Texas Revolution veteran Thomas H. Barron and his family settled near Deer Creek. The Rev. Isaac Taylor operated a school for area children from the 1870s until 1885, when Blevins School opened. A public school district, formally organized in 1916, served students in a nine-square mile area until 1939. A post office operated from 1886 to 1904, and at its height the community boasted two general stores, two cotton gins, two churches, a blacksmith shop, and ice house. #435

?, Eddy, TX, United States

Blevins Cemetery. Born in the Republic of Texas in 1838, Amanda Ruble Taylor moved to this are in 1855. This cemetery began with her burial on family land in 1875. Her widower, the Rev. Issac Taylor, deeded land for this cemetery to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1879. The numerous infant grave sites reveal the harsh realities of frontier life. Buried alongside veterans of conflicts from the Texas Revolution to World War II are farmers whose perseverance and faith in the land helped shape this area. The Blevins Cemetery Association, founded in 1958, restored this site in 1991. #436

?, Eddy, TX, United States

Blue Mountain. Winkler County's highest point (3500 Ft.), Blue Mountain has long served as a lookout and landmark on the west Texas plains. Here Indians found fuel, sheltering caves, and water. They left artifacts in the caves and pictographs on the cave walls that boasted their prowess as horse wranglers, hunters, and fishermen. A directional sign told of a water hole nine days by trail to the northeast. Pictographs also told the story of a fight between two lizards. The pass is called Avary Gap for John Avary, who first settled the area in 1880. (1964) #439

SH 302, East of Kermit, Kermit, TX, United States

Blue Ridge Baptist Church. Organized 1859 by 11 charter members; worship held regularly since. Z. N. Morrell and Judge R. E. B. Baylor were among early missionaries holding services in the settlers' log cabins. George Harlan deeded 28 acres for church, school, and cemetery in 1873. Land is part of grant given by Mexico in 1835 to his father, Doctor Isaiah Harlan. The first church building also housed an early school. Church has sponsored annual "May Day Singing" since 1887. Descendants still attend. The third (present) sanctuary was built here in 1908. #440

?, Reagan, TX, United States

Bluff Dale Suspension Bridge. For at least 20 years vehicles had to ford the Paluxy River to reach Bluff Dale and points west. Wagon traffic increased after the Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railroad line reached the town in 1889. This iron bridge began to serve the public by spanning the Paluxy about 1891, on the main access road that became State Highway 10 and later U.S. 377. By 1933 arterial highway travel demanded a wider bridge. In 1934 authorities moved the "swinging" bridge 1.5 miles upstream where it serves local traffic. (1978) #441

?, Bluff Dale, TX, United States

Bluff Dale Tabernacle. This tabernacle was built about 1906 on land given by Andrew Jackson Glenn, donor of the Bluff Dale townsite. The scene of many community events, including plays, singings, funerals and a high school graduation, the structure was primarily used for early camp meetings. Conducted for all area denominations and lasting for days, the revivals served as a source of community identity. The tabernacle is now used for an annual homecoming celebration. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #442

?, Bluff Dale, TX, United States

Bobcat Hills. Named for dens of lynx (bobcats) found her 1919 by a University of Texas geology team mapping the resources of the county. These hills, cretaceous formations, are part of an uplift in the southern Permian Basin. Associated with this uplift are the oil fields of the county. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967, #444

FM 305 S of McCamey, McCamey, TX, United States

Boerne Cemetery When Adam Vogt (1822-1882) deeded land for this cemetery to the city in 1867, there were already some graves present. The earliest documented burial, that of Anton Peter Loth, dates to 1862. In the older sections of the cemetery are graves of area pioneers and German immigrants, including Vogt and George Wilkins Kendall (1809-1867), for whom the county was named. A row of paupers' graves may also be seen. Land acquisitions over the years have increased the size of the graveyard. Boerne Cemetery serves as a reflection of the area's rich history. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 Boerne Cemetery Established 1867 Historic Texas Cemetery - 2000 #445

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Boesch House. When Whitney town lots were auctioned in 1879, German native Edouard Boesch (1842-1911), an east Texas lumber wholesaler, shipped the first load of lumber for the new town. Three years later he moved here and bought the lumberyard of William Cameron. Boesch became one of Whitney's leading residents and served as a school trustee for fourteen years. In 1885, he and his wife Emma built this two-story residence. Designed to withstand storms such as the tornado that struck the town that year, it was constructed on a foundation of heavy cypress timbers. #446

401 San Jacinto Street, Whitney, TX, United States

Boldtville Schoolhouse. Land for this schoolhouse was given to Bexar County in 1919 by Albert F. Boldt. During that year this two-room building was constructed by local resident Fritz Gembler. From 1919 until 1960 it served as an educational facility for the children of nearby rural families. An example of a typical early 20th-century, two-room Texas schoolhouse, the structure features a pedimented porch with a cupola. (1984) #447

6634 New Sulpher Springs Rd., San Antonio, TX, United States

Boling. This area was called Floyd's Lane prior to the advent of the New York, Texas & Mexican Railway in 1900. Named for the Bolling family of Virginia, the town name was misspelled when citizens applied for a U. S. Post Office. The economy was based on farming and the railroad until sulphur, oil, and gas were discovered on the Boling dome in 1925. Boling became a boom town; the population grew from 20 in 1920 to 450 in 1930. Many streets and subdivisions were named for the companies that flocked here. Mineral production was the dominant industry in the area for 70 years. #448

100 Texas Ave., Boling, TX, United States

Bond's Alley. Local site for politics, peddlers' shows, whittling, cockfights, fisticuffs. Named for Bond's Drug Store, located here since 1881, and sheltering in bad weather people who usually sunned in alley. Early neighbors varied from a Chinese laundry to an auto assembly shop. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1969 #449

?, Hillsboro, TX, United States

Book Building. During the 1850s, the U.S. Army occupied several stone and adobe buildings which stood at this site. Dwight Dana Book (1869-1955), a civil engineer and veteran of the Spanish-American War, bought the property in 1904. He had this red brick commercial building erected in 1906. Attorney's, realtors, architects, physicians and other tenants leased office space here. A popular club called the "Night Spot" was once located in the basement level. (1978) #450

140 East Houston, San Antonio, TX, United States

Booker. Platted 1917 by Thomas C. Spearman, Santa Fe Railway official. Named for railroad locating engineer, B. F. Booker. Town of La Kemp, Oklahoma (6 miles north) moved here 1919. First train arrived July 4, 1919, official birthdate of Booker. Economy based on farming, cattle and (since 1956) oil and gas production. (1969) #451

SH 23 and SH 16, Booker, TX, United States

Booker T. Washington Park. Set aside by deed in 1898 as a permanent site for celebrating June 19th-- the anniversary of the 1865 emancipation of slaves in Texas. It was 2.5 miles south of this site that slaves of this area first heard their freedom announced. Limestone County in the 1860's-- era of initial celebrations here--had many able Negro leaders. It sent to the Texas constitutional convention of 1866 one of its Negro citizens, Ralph Long. From among people who lived in this locality at the time of emancipation came Negro legislators Giles Cotton, Dave Medlock and Sheppard Mullins. Even before land was dedicated for the park here, this was site of annual celebration on June 19th. For many years the honorable Ralph Long was the featured orator, speaking at times from bed of a wagon parked in the shade. As many as 20,000 often gathered for the occasion. On July 7, 1912, the 19th of June Organization was chartered, to administer the park and perpetuate regional history. The Negro people of Texas have shown outstanding initiative in fields of civic leadership, education, culture and business. In 1860 they numbered 187,921; in 1960 there were 1,187,125 Negros in the State. (1968) #452

Off US 84 in Booker T. Washington Park, Mexia, TX, United States

Booker T. Washington School. In 1880, two years before the City of Gainesville created a public school system for all its children, Island Sparks, a young Mulatto, taught the black children of the city. In 1886, the city built a frame school building on this site for the community's black youth. Originally known as the Gainesville Colored School, the school adopted the name Booker T. Washington sometime before 1927. The original two-story facility was replaced in 1939 with a red brick, WPA project structure. Desegregation in 1965-66 resulted in the closing of Booker T. Washington as a black institution. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. #453

701 Muller, Gainesville, TX, United States

Boot Hill Cemetery. Along with law-abiding and God-fearing men and women were buried here, often without benefit of clergy, men who "died with their boots on". The name was borrowed from a cemetery in Dodge City, Kansas, while it was a resort of buffalo hunters and trail drivers #454

US 385 at Boy's Ranch, Vega, TX, United States

Borden County. Originally a part of Bexar District; created August 21, 1876; organized March 17, 1891. Named in honor of Gail Borden, 1801-1874, pioneer surveyor, newspaper editor, and inventor of the process of condensing milk; Gail, county seat. #456

?, Gail, TX, United States

Borden County Jail. Built of hand-hewn native stone from Gail Mountain, this jail planned for maximum security. Is one of the oldest jails in use in West Texas. Diebold Safe and Lock Co. was awarded the $4,500 contract in 1896. Behind two-foot thick outside walls, the cell walls and floor are of 1/3 inch case hardened steel plates, impervious to hack saw blades. Doors fastened with huge hasps and padlocks opened by six-inch key. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967. #457

?, Gail, TX, United States

Gail Borden. Site of the beef canning plant and residence, built in 1872, by Gail Borden (1801-1874), pioneer surveyor, newspaper editor and inventor of the process of condensing milk, who operated this plant until his death. Demolished in 1885. #458

?, Borden, TX, United States

Subjects
John Pettit Borden. (December 30, 1812 - November 12, 1890) Born in New York. Moved to Texas 1829. Settled in Stephen F. Austin's second colony in 1832. In Texas Revolution, fought at Battle of San Jacinto in 1836. Helped lay out town of Houston same year. At 24 became first Commissioner of Texas General Land Office. Later practiced law and served as county judge. He was a surveyor before moving, in 1866, to Harvey's Creek (4 mi. E). Married twice. Had 9 children by second wife Mary (Hatch). #459

?, Weimar, TX, United States

Bose Ikard. (July 1834 - January 4, 1929) Born a slave in Mississippi, Bose Ikard came to Texas as a child with the family of his owner, Dr. Milton L. Ikard. He remained as an employee of Dr. Ikard following his emancipation, but in 1866 joined a cattle drive to Colorado led by Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving. Ikard became one of Goodnight's best cowboys and a trusted friend. Following his work in the cattle drives, Ikard settled in Weatherford. He and his wife Angeline were the parents of six children. When he died in 1929 at age 85, Goodnight had a granite marker erected at his grave. (1990) #461

Front Street, at Old City Greenwood Cemetery, Weatherford, TX, United States