Thomas lord blue plaques
The birthplace of Thomas Lord 1755 founder of Lord's Cricket Ground

14-16 Kirkgate, Thirsk, United Kingdom

4221749 c9ace5ce 120x120
Cross Keys Public House. The base of a cruck timber in the end wall of this house points to mediaeval construction. The sign of St. Peter's Keys goes back to monastic times.

Cross Keys Public House, Kirkgate, Thirsk, United Kingdom

22287113719 a45ff1e47c m
Thirsk Hall. Home of the Lords of the Manor. Since 1723. Extended by John Carr, York architect, in 1774.

Thirsk Hall, Kirkgate, Thirsk, United Kingdom

615428 0999785f 120x120
The house which stood on this site was occupied by James Gilbert Baker FRS FLS 1834-1920 a famous botanist, president of the Thirsk Natural History Society, author of Flora of North Yorkshire and other books, keeper of the herbarium The Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew 1900-19??

Bakers Alley, Thirsk, United Kingdom

22484782271 4bbfc47f8d m
Here was born George Gibson Macauley 1897-1940 A famous Yorkshire and England cricketer who played his first game for the County in 1920. An all-rounder he took 1733 wickets for Yorkshire at an average cost of 17 08 runs and scored 5759 runs he made eight test appearances.

Station Road, Thirsk, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bamlett's (Tesco site)

off Station Road, Thirsk, United Kingdom

22473702075 db3abb70f7 m
The Courthouse. This building was erected in 1885 to house the weekly magistrates court which last sat here on 4th September 1995.

Old Courthouse, Westgate, Thirsk, United Kingdom

22484641951 03087cf4c0 m
Thirsk and Sowerby Town Hall. Designed by Walter H Brierley Yorkshire architect and opened on 16 July 1913. It was an auxiliary hospital in the First World War.

Chapel Street, Thirsk, United Kingdom

2718941 0ddef889 120x120
Ritz Cinema

Chapel Street, Thirsk, United Kingdom

875347 d216d8ec 120x120
Joan Maynard - Lansbury House

Lansbury House, 76 Front Street, Thirsk, United Kingdom

22460471412 cbc6184d41 m
The Lambert Memorial Hospital. Founded in 1890 by Mrs. Sarah Lambert of Sowerby in memory of her husband & his father William Lambert an eminent local doctor.

Lambert Hospital, Chapel Street, Thirsk, United Kingdom

22286863609 a22806080c m
Bill Foggitt. This building which formerly stood on this site was for nearly a century occupied by William Foggitt and Sons Chemists. The founder's great-grandson William "Bill" Foggitt 1913-2004 enjoyed fame as an amateur weather man and tv personality in the 1980s.

Boots Chemist, Market Place, Thirsk, United Kingdom

4221450 b2155c49 120x120
Golden Fleece. This Georgian Inn was one of the principal coaching houses on the York to Edinburgh road in the early 1800s with stabling for 50 horses.

Golden Fleece Hotel, Market Place, Thirsk, United Kingdom

21851176354 0a5a569f18 m
The Three Tuns. Reputedly built as the Dower House of the Bell Family, Lords of the Manor, this building became a leading coaching inn. William & Dorothy Wordsworth stayed here in 1802.

Three Tuns Hotel, Market Place, Thirsk, United Kingdom

22484690451 8662da55f1 m
Former Register Office. This building erected c1850 served as the office of the local registrar of births and deaths and later as that of the clerk to the board of guardians and the rural district council.

Former Register Office, Finkle Street, Thirsk, United Kingdom

22473960485 345cfbe8a8 m
Thirsk Infant School. This building was formerly the Thirsk Infant School founded by public subscription and erected in 1833 on a site donated by John Bell Lord of the Manor. It was opened as a Public Library by N.Y.C.C. in 1981.

Thirsk Library, Finkle Street, Thirsk, United Kingdom

21850956144 8dc5aacc9c m
Fox Wynd. This house was designed by the architect E.B. Lamb in 1857 for Lady Franklands Thirkleby Estate

7 to 11 Ingramgate, Thirsk, United Kingdom

716924 2c39d891 120x120
Thirsk Union Workhouse

Sutton Road, Thirsk, United Kingdom

4221965 e5b4d537 120x120
Hannah Packer 1841-1930 lived here until 1873 after training as a nurse she emigrated to Uruguay in 1882 and dedicated her life to humanitarian work in Minas De Corales. Her memory is treasured and honoured in her adopted country

35 Market Place, Thirsk, United Kingdom