Toronto Historical Board

Now called Heritage Toronto

http://www.heritagetoronto.org

690836817 f6d9725b96 m
Awde St. This street was opened by the City of Toronto in 1908 and named for the Awde family, owners of this estate. Robert Awde (1838-1921) came to Canada with his family in 1868 and was for many years employed as a health inspector and later chief health inspector for the City of Toronto. He retired in 1918 after thirty-eight years of distinguished public service. In 1981, upon application by the Croatian community, the name Awde Street was changed by the City of Toronto to Croatia Street.

south-east corner of Croatia Street and Brock Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Lucius O'Brien (1832-1899) Here, from 1881 to 1887, stood the home of Lucius O'Brien, one of our foremost painters and a leader in the development of Canada'a artistic life. Born in Shanty Bay, Ontario, O'Brien practised as a civil engineer before becoming a full-time painter in 1872. His expansive light-filled water-colours and oils depicting an heroic Canadian landscape won him wide acclaim here and abroad. His most famous work, and a key painting of the era, remains the majestic "Sunrise on the Saguenay", of 1880, in that year O'Brien began a ten-year presidency of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts which he helped to found. Later he was instrumental in the publication of "Picturesque Canada" whose 500 engravings revealed to many the variety and vastness of the young nation.

30 College Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Frances Loring and Florence Wyle. Sculptors Frances Loring (1887-1968) and Florence Wyle (1881-1968) were born in the United States mid-west. They met in 1907 while art students in Chicago, and moved to Toronto in 1913. Their home and studio near here at 110 Glenrose Avenue was a centre for artists, academics and students for 48 years. In 1918 they sculpted a series of figures of workers in the munitions industry for Canadian war memorials. Loring designed the lion, and Wyle the portrait reliefs of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth for the Queen Elizabeth Way Lion Monument, now located in Gzowski Park. The works of these colourful artists are represented in the Art Gallery of Ontario, the National Galley and the War Museum in Ottawa, and on many public and private buildings in Ontario. Their contribution is recognized, at the request of the Moore Park Residents' Association, by this park named in their honour.

corner of Mt Pleasant Road and St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
1267973071 96f279d0e1 m
Chinatown The first recorded Chinese resident in Toronto was Sam Ching, who opened a business on Adelaide Street in 1878. This pioneer was joined by a growing number of Chinese, many of whom migrated eastward after they helped to build the Transcontinental Pacific Railway. By 1910 the Chinese in Toronto numbered over 1,000, largely concentrated in the Elizabeth Street area. Over the next seventy years the community grew, business increased and expanded. In the 1980s, over 100,000 people of Chinese origin reside in Metropolitan Toronto and are prominently represented in all aspects of community life. [plaque removed]

Nathan Phillips Square, Chinatown, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
207155802 3ad4d9cac8 m
Ernest Hemingway. American-born Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961), internationally renowned author, lived in this apartment building, 1597-1599 Bathurst Street, in 1923-24, while working as a journalist for the Toronto Star. While here he became friends with novelist Morley Callaghan and writer/broadcaster Gordon Sinclair. He returned to Paris, France, where he began his career as a novelist, producing such masterpieces as "The Sun Also Rises", "A Farewell To Arms" & "For Whom the Bell Tolls".

1599 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
139-145 Front Street East In 1867, William Davies built a two storey brick building here and established the first large meat-packing house in Toronto. J. & J. Taylor Safeworks purchased the building in 1871, and as the business flourished, added two storeys and an addition to the west and south. The buildings were renovated in 1978-80 as part of the revitalized historic St. Lawrence District.

139-145 Front Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Arena Gardens On this site, the Arena Gardens, at the time Canada's largest indoor facility, opened 7 October 1912. It became the new home of Toronto's first professional hockey team, the Toronto Arenas, later renamed the Toronto Maple Leafs. Besides hockey, other sports, including bicycle racing, curling, boxing, wrestling and tennis used the space. On 10 June 1925, the building held the inaugural service of the United Church of Canada. Remodelled to include roller skating facilities and renamed the Mutual Street Arena in 1938, it hosted the Glen Miller Band in 1942 and crooner Frank Sinatra in 1948 as well as the city's first Boat Show in 1954. The Arena was extensively remodelled in 1962 and renamed The Terrace. It was demolished in 1989.

88 Mutual Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Avenue Road Church Built in 1899 as the Presbyterian Church of the Covenant, this church was designed by architects Gordon and Helliwell. The bold use of white Kingston limestone makes the building a significant landmark. In 1925 it became the Avenue Road United Church. Known as the Stone Church during the late 1930s, it was taken over by the Church of the Nazarene in 1941, with Charles Templeton as preacher. The building was gutted by fire in 1944, but was later restored.

243 Avenue Road, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Babe Ruth in Toronto Near this site, at the old Hanlan's Point Stadium, on 5 September 1914, baseball's legendary Babe Ruth hit his first home run as a professional - the only home run he ever hit in the minor leagues. The lanky 19-year-old rookie, playing for the Providence Greys in the International League, connected with a pitch off Ellis Johnson of the Toronto Maple Leafs, sending the ball over the fence in right field and scoring three runs for his team. Ruth, as pitcher of his team, allowed only one hit and the Greys shut out Toronto 9-0. His later career made Babe Ruth a monumental figure in baseball history. This plaque commemorates both the extraordinary career of Babe Ruth and the important contribution made by Toronto to the game of baseball from "Little League" teams to the Toronto Blue Jays of the American League. [plaque removed]

Hanlan's Point ferry dock, Toronto Island, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Bank of British North America On this site, in 1845, the Bank of British North America built its first branch in Toronto. The present building, designed by architect Henry Langley, replaced the original in 1875. The building later underwent several alterations, some under the direction of Burke, Horwood and White, Architects. In 1918 the Bank of British North America was incorporated into the Bank of Montreal, which retained a branch here until 1949 when the Imperial Bank purchased the building. After the Bank of Commerce and Imperial Bank merged in 1961, a branch of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce continued to operate here until 1978. Restoration and renovation work by Greymac Trust Company was completed in 1982.

49 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Beach Hebrew Institute In 1920 the Beach Hebrew Institute was established in this building. It was formerly the Kenilworth Avenue Baptist Church, built in 1895 and occupied until 1909. Later, for nine years, it was a local community centre known as Kenilworth Hall. Several years after it was acquired for a synagogue, the facade was altered under the supervision of architect W.G. Hunt to resemble more traditional 'shtibel' architectural style of small European communities, and the arched windows, parapet and entrance were added. This historic place of worship is an important part of the Beach community.

109 Kenilworth Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Belmont House In 1852, a commitment to the care of others motivated a small group of women to open the Magdalen Asylum and Industrial House of Refuge for the Shelter of Homeless Women in a rented house on Richmond street. After a move to this site in 1860, a new house of refuge was constructed in 1873, followed by a second building in 1891 dedicated to the care of aged women. By 1908 elderly men were also taken in and Belmont House was built to provide facilities for even greater numbers of both men and women. The house of refuge closed in 1939 and the institution devoted itself thereafter to the care of the elderly. The three old houses were demolished in 1966 and the present Belmont House was opened in 1969 by his Excellency The Rt. Hon. Roland Michener, Governor-General Of Canada. A further addition along Davenport Road was completed in 1992.

55 Belmont Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bracondale Hill On this site Robert John Turner (1795-1872) built his house 'Bracondale Hill' about 1847. A lawyer, he practised in the chancery courts at Osgoode Hall and became referee of titles and accountant general of the court of chancery. His son, Frank Edwin Prince Turner, inherited 'Bracondale Hill' and after a career of railroad building in Brazil, Argentina, Honduras and England, returned to become first post-master of Bracondale Village and after, deputy reeve of York Township. Frank's younger brother, Charles Conrad, lived in the house until his death in 1932. In 1937 the mansion was demolished but street names such as Turner, Conrad, Frank and Ashworth recall the influence of the Turner family.

950 Davenport Road, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Casa Loma Stables In 1905 Sir Henry Pellatt purchased land which had been the private golf course of Albert Austin of nearby Spadina. The following year, anticipating construction of Casa Loma, he hired E. J. Lennox to design and build these stables, estimated to have cost $250,000. The stalls were made of Spanish mahogany and the floors were covered in tiles set in a zig-zag pattern so that the horses would not slip. When the main castle was completed, it was connected to the stables by a tunnel. Here, in 1944, in utmost secrecy, the Royal Navy placed an assembly plant for ASDIC, an early form of sonar which was vital in the battles of the Atlantic. The existence of this factory was disclosed only after the Second World War had ended.

330 Walmer Road, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Central Hospital. Central Hospital was founded in 1957 in a house at 331 Sherbourne Street which had been built in 1875 for Robert T. Gooderham. The property was purchased in 1921 by the Canadian National Institute For The Blind (established in 1918) for use as a women's residence. The "Clarkewood Residence" moved to Bayview Avenue when the CNIB consolidated its operations there in 1956. The property was then purchased by doctors Paul and John Rekai, who had immigrated to Toronto from Hungary in 1950. In May 1957 they opened a 32 bed private hospital with a multilingual staff committed to providing health care to people of diverse cultural backgrounds. Their success led to the replacement of the Gooderham House with a new 176 bed public hospital that was opened in September 1969.

Sherbourne Health Centre, 333 Sherbourne Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Chorley Park Chorley Park was originally the property of Toronto Alderman John Hallam, born in Chorley, Lancashire. In 1911 the garden provided the setting for Ontario's last Government House, which was designed by F.R. Heakes and built of Credit Valley stone in the French Chateau style. The house stood at the end of a curving approach from Roxborough Drive. From 1915 it was the imposing official residence for five Lieutenant-Governors, where distinguished visitors and Toronto citizens attended levees, receptions and charity balls, until closed for financial reasons in 1937. Acquired by the government of Canada, it served as a military hospital from 1940 to 1953, and later as RCMP headquarters and for Toronto Militia purposes. Chorley Park was purchased by the City of Toronto in 1960 and the building was demolished a year later when the site was developed as a public park.

245 Douglas Drive, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Chudleigh. George Lissant Beardmore, a prosperous tanner, built this house, named for his birthplace, in 1871-72, with additions and alterations by Eden Smith, Architect, in 1890. His son, George Wathen Beardmore, occupied the house until his death. In 1937 it was purchased for use as the Italian Consulate. The property was taken over by the Government of Canada in 1939, and for almost twenty years, the building served as a barracks for the R.C.M.P. In 1962 the Canadian Government gave the house to the Italian community as a training centre for immigrants and in 1977 "Chudleigh" again became Toronto's Italian Consulate.

136 Beverley Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Church of All Nations This site was originally part of lands owned in the late 1830s by John Henry Dunn, Receiver-General of Upper Canada. It was purchased in the 1840s by the Methodists to build a small chapel, replaced in 1856 by a larger Gothic-style brick church. By 1900 the church had been enlarged to house the biggest Methodist congregation in Toronto. As the area changed to industrial in the 1920s, the church became vacant. In 1927-28, the United Church of Canada added to the building and established the Church of All Nations, where services were held in many languages. An international fair was held here annually between 1929 and 1957, an early expression of Toronto's multicultural heritage. The Hungarian United Church was the last occupant until 1984 when the building was sold and demolished for commercial development.

422 Queen Street West, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Church of Our Lady of Lourdes 1886-1986 Centennial This church was erected as a gift from the clergy of the Archdiocese to the Most Reverend John Joseph Lynch, D.D., the first Roman Catholic Archbishop of Toronto, on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of his consecration. The original church was dedicated on 28 October 1886. The surrounding lands, known as St. John's Grove, had since 1876 been the site of the Archbishop's summer residence and contained a grotto honouring Our Lady of Lourdes. Parts of that residence are still in use as the Church Hall. The original building, modelled after Santa Maria del Populo in Rome, was designed by Frederick Charles Law, R.N. In 1910, alterations by James P. Hynes, Architect, included the addition of the present nave and the incorporation of the former church as the sanctuary.

520 Sherbourne Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Church of St. Simon-the-Apostle The Anglican parish of St. Simon-the-Apostle was founded in 1883 to serve the expanding Rosedale community. The congregation first worshipped in the chapel of St. James-the-Less, Parliament Street, until this church, by architects Strickland and Symons, was completed in 1887. Five years later it was enlarged to twice its original capacity. The parish hall and first rectory, designed by architect Eden Smith, were built in 1906. St. Simon's church has served as spiritual home to many Torontonians, and its choir of men and boys has long been renowned for its excellence.

525 Bloor Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
CNE Bandshell The Bandshell was dedicated by Toronto Mayor Sam McBride and the Lord Mayor of London, Sir Percy Vincent, at the opening of the Canadian National Exhibition 28 August 1936. The Kneller Hall Band of England and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra highlighted the inaugural program. Designed by architects Craig and Madill in the manner of the Hollywood Bowl, the Art Deco Bandshell was long the most up-to-date structure at the CNE. Over the years its outstanding acoustics and mood lighting effects have helped to attract international military and concert bands, world-famed opera and popular performers and audiences in the thousands. The Bandshell is the location for the CNE opening and closing ceremonies.

Exhibition Place, Toronto, ON, Canada

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Coliseum Complex, Exhibition Place The Coliseum, erected to showcase the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair and the agricultural programs of the Canadian National Exhibition, opened in 1922. With additions made in 1926, the complex ranked as the largest exhibition space under one roof in the world. Its towers and classical detailing complemented the Beaux Arts buildings at the west end of the Exhibition grounds. During the Second World War, the Coliseum served as a recruitment centre, known as Manning Depot Number One, for the Royal Canadian Air Force. It has hosted a wide range of entertainment and sporting events and has served as a showplace for livestock and other farm products. Today, the Coliseum is part of the Metropolitan Toronto's National Trade Centre, the largest trade and consumer facility in Canada.

Ricoh Coliseum, Exhibition Place, Toronto, ON, Canada