Tyne and Wear County Council

Tyne and Wear County Council was abolished in 1986, and so its districts (the metropolitan boroughs) are now effectively unitary authorities.
Lawe beacon  close
Lawe Beacons. Erected as navigational aids in 1832 by John Turnbull, at a cost of £60, this beacon and its companion replaced 18th century structures. They complement the High and Low Lights at North Shields.

Lawe Road, South Shields, United Kingdom

Subjects
7426267956 a643520eee m
Cullercoats Fisherman's Lookout. Built in 1879 on the site of a traditional fisherman's lookout, to house the Cullercoats Volunteer Life Brigade. A pre-existing clock tower was incorporated into the design. Now used as a community centre.

Front Street, Cullercoats, United Kingdom

35653945984 0381128389 m
Old Low Light. Built inside Clifford’s Fort 1727-33 and extended 1775. Its white gable was painted black and its light window blocked to obscure it as a navigational landmark when converted to Almshouses in 1806-8.

Fish Quay, North Shields, United Kingdom

35608335584 0b3822def6 m
Sailors Home. Former Sailors Home, built by the 4th Duke of Northumberland in 1854-6 to accommodate 80 visiting seamen. Benjamin Green, architect.

New Quay, North Shields, United Kingdom

Subjects
35549581814 112769940c m
The Town Wall. Site of 14th Century Close Gate. Damaged during 1644 siege when Town Wall was breached, it was repaired in 1648. Used as a prison after 1771 it was demolished in 1797.

Close, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
36213834804 13e1ba7500 m
John Dobson 1787-1865 architect built this house about 1823 and lived here until his death in January 1865

New Bridge Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
36443362995 078aa9a40e m
Maritime Chambers Built in 1806-7 as a subscription library for Tynemouth Literary and Philosophical Society. Occupied 1895-1980 by Stag Line Ltd., one of Tyneside's oldest family-owned shipping companies. The building still bears the Stag emblem.

Howard Street, North Shields, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Old Hollinside 13th Century medieval manor built in local sandstone. The house belonged to the Harding family for 200 years before becoming part of the Gibside Estate in 1732.

Old Hollinside, Gateshead, United Kingdom

7426304662 66ee6143a9 m
Master Mariners Homes. Built 1837-40 by North Shields Master Mariners Asylum for 32 aged mariners and their dependents; John and Benjamin Green, architects. Land donated by 3rd Duke of Northumberland; his statue stands in the gardens.

The Mariners House, Tynemouth Road, Tynemouth, United Kingdom

Subjects
15788631229 08da5d1d13 m
River Police Station Encouraged by local ship owners, the Admiralty formed the first River Police on 4th August, 1845 with 21 men and 6 rowing boats. This station was built in 1910, Fenwicke and Watson, architects.

Swing Bridge approach road on the side of the former Police Station. (La Riviera Restaurant), Gateshead, United Kingdom

Subjects
13610149573 165d4418a3 m
Lilley Brickworks Coke ovens built by the Priestman Colliery Company were converted in 1890 to produce common bricks for use in their collieries. The works closed in 1976.

wall of former colliery/brickworks offices (now a private residence) situated beside the A694 road oposite the junction with Sherburn Park Drive, Rowlands Gill, Gateshead, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Brandling Station The original Felling Station built in 1842 for the Brandling Junction Railway. One of the oldest passenger stations in England. Restored 1978.

east of Felling Metro Station, on the north wall of the old station building facing Mulberry Street, Gateshead, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The 1854 Fire The site of Wilson's spinning mill which caught fire and exploded late on the 5th October 1854 causing the great fire at Newcastle Quayside from Sandhill to Fenwick's Entry.

Off Hillgate on the east face of the south tower of the Tyne Bridge, Gateshead, United Kingdom

13610237733 746b04dd7e m
Ryton Pinfold An enclosure in which stray animals were impounded until claimed on payment of a fine, has existed on this site since the 12th century. Restored and repaired by the Ryton Heritage Group in 1974

stone encloure at the junction of Barmoor Lane and River Lane, Ryton Village, Gateshead, United Kingdom

13610327605 786396a9ce m
Blaydon Races Official racing started in 1861 on Blaydon Island which lay North of here. The song was written in 1862. From 1887 to 1914 the race course was on Stella Haugh, the site of the former power station.

NE side of Stella Road (B6317) opposite and a little NW of Caroline Terrace, Gateshead, United Kingdom

5332087295 4d30465558 m
Wallsend Shipyards Wallsend riverfront has been the home of world-famous yards including: Schlesinger's (1863-93); C. S. Swan's (1874-80) and G. B. Hunter's (1880-1903); together with major marine engine-works. Turbinia (1894) and Mauretania (1906) were launched here.

Wallsend Heritage Centre, Buddle Street, Wallsend, United Kingdom

36612345833 6e839f055b m
Site of Tynemouth Lighthouse. A lighthouse was built here in 1664 using stone from the Priory. It is likely that this tower replaced a medieval light in the Priory buildings. Demolished in 1898 and replaced by St. Mary's Lighthouse.

Tynemouth Coastguard Station, Tynemouth, United Kingdom

100786 9ef59a5a 120x120
George Stephenson 1781-1848. Black Callerton. Stephenson worked at the nearby Dolly Pit from 1801-1802 when he married Frances Henderson (1769-1806), mother of Robert. In 1820 he married Elizabeth Hindmarsh a Black Callerton farmer's daughter.

West Farm, Black Callerton, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
36320683102 a69cb39c13 m
Old High Light. Since 1536 Trinity House, Newcastle has built several leading lights in North Shields. This one was constructed in 1727. Following changes in the river channel it was replaced in 1807 by the New High Light.

Tyne Street, North Shields, United Kingdom

37252405192 f11bdbedab m
The Black Middens. These exposed rock formations, once a notorious shipping hazard, claimed 5 ships in 3 days of blizzards in November 1864; 34 passengers and crew perished within sight of the shore.

Promenade, Tynemouth, United Kingdom

37424031355 d406b68089 m
Volunteer Life Brigade House. The Tynemouth Brigade, the first in the country, was formed in 1864 following several tragic ship wrecks. This Watch House, built in 1887, was restored by the Brigade and Tyne and Wear County Council in 1977.

Spanish Battery, Tynemouth, United Kingdom

21846672304 d0df734d94 m
The Custom House Built in 1766 to replace Custom House as west end of Quayside. Altered and refronted in 1833; Sydney Smirke, Architect.

39 Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

22443344916 4107f6bd47 m
St. Thomas Chapel. Chapel of St Thomas the Martyr (Archibishop Thomas Becket, died 1170) stood on Old Tyne Bridge near this spot, until 1830, when it was demolished for road widening and replaced by St. Thomas' Church in Barras Bridge.

57-60 Sandhill, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
1389823 57f76b9d 120x120
House of Adam of Jesmond. Built before 1267; probably abandoned by 17th Century. Little known of its history. Given to Newcastle in 1879 as part of the Armstrong's Park. Repairs in 1897 directed by W.H. Knowles, Architect.

Armstrong Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Thomas elliot harrison  close
Thomas Elliot Harrison- In this house and its neighbours, then a single dwelling, lived Thomas Elliot Harrison. Engineer-in- Chief to the North Eastern Railway 1854-1888, and President of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 1873-1874.

55 Front Street, Whitburn, United Kingdom

John simpson kirkpatrick plaque
John Simpson Kirkpatrick - There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England. In proud memory of the men from Tyneside who fought and died in the Gallipoli campaign. Royal Navy. Royal Naval Division. 10th, 11th, and 29th Infantry Divisions. Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC). Unveiled by HE The Hon Alexander Downer AC, High Commissioner for Australia to the United Kingdom, 19 May 2015.

Little Haven Promenade, South Shields, United Kingdom

The marine school of south tyneside
The Marine School of South Shields was founded here in 1861 by the Benefactor Dr Thomas Winterbottom.

Ocean Road, South Shields, United Kingdom

2895135 afb35e13 120x120
George Stephenson 1781-1848 Water Row, Newburn. From 1798 to 1801 George Stephenson was in charge of Robert Hawthorn's new pumping engine at Water Row Pit, where George's father, Robert was a fireman.

Newburn, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
35390658831 aa54b2bae6 m
Keelmen’s Hospital. The Fellowship of Keelmen was first mentioned in 1516. They established a charity in 1699 and began the building of the hospital in 1701.

City Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
35503333226 96dfa14cca m
The Mill. Mabel’s Mill, a water corn mill of the Ridleys, existed here by 1739. From circa. 1848 called Heaton Mill. A flint mill from mid to late 19th century. Acquired by Lord Armstrong in 1862.

Jesmond Dene, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
34933613964 1048b96633 m
St. Mary's Well. Traditionally a holy well, but probably no earlier than the late 17th Century. William Coulson built a bathing place beside it early in 18th Century. Remodelled in 19th Century.

The Grove, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

35358848232 21419dabb7 m
The Town Wall. The Plummer Tower, built in the late thirteenth century, was granted in 1742 to the Company of Masons who partly rebuilt it. The only surviving two storey tower.

Croft Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
34691097173 c366a85bbe m
The Town Wall. The Corner Tower: two turrets at right angles to one another. At this point, in the early 14th century, the wall was turned east to enclose the newly acquired suburb of Pandon.

City Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
34690515883 0baa2b6514 m
The Town Wall. In 1810 part of the wall was removed to allow access from Darn Crook to Gallowgate. The Andrew Tower, to the north of here, was lost when the churchyard was enlarged in 1818.

St Andrew's Church, Newgate Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
34659076134 63d71a9d2e m
The Town Wall. In 1280 the Black Friars were granted the right to this postern through the wall to give them access to their gardens beyond.

Back lane of Stowell Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
34658929474 bce8fe53e9 m
The Town Wall. Remains of late thirteenth century Ever Tower. Used by Company of Paviors Colliers and Carriagemen during the nineteenth century. Largely demolished 1908-10.

Stowell Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
35521321125 0524d5b282 m
The Banqueting Hall. Built in 1860-62 by Sir William (later Lord) Armstrong for entertaining; John Dobson, Architect. Lodge and extensions, 1869-70, by Norman Shaw, Architect. Given to Newcastle by Lord Armstrong in 1883.

Jesmond Dene Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
35482162476 41f96c10b0 m
St. Mary's Chapel. Built in 12th Century; enlarged in 14th. A place of pilgrimage in the Middle Ages; sold by Edward VI to Newcastle in 1549. After having many owners, it was returned to Newcastle by Lord Armstrong in 1883.

Reid Park Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

35333754172 78db793678 m
Trinity House. Site acquired in 1505 by Fellowship of Masters and Mariners of Ships of the Town of Newcastle upon Tyne. Present buildings date from 16th to 19th centuries. City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear County Council.

Broad Chare, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

34674769123 090776b8b2 m
St. Anns Church. Built in 1768 to designs by William Newton, a Newcastle Architect. Set in open fields outside the Town Walls, it replaced an Ancient Chapel of Ease to the Church of All Saints.

St Ann's Church, Breamish Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

35098371620 67835e435a m
Hadrian's Wall. Remains of Hadrian's Wall found on this site in 1981 have been preserved below ground level with the co-operation of the North Housing Association Ltd.

Crawhall Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
8499076051 060e10ce02 m
The Town Wall. The Durham Tower, built in the late 13th Century, is one of the seventeen wall towers.

Rear of Stowell Street, Chinatown, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
8295794469 9a6d194115 m
35 The Close. The only medieval house and warehouse complex with a private quay to survive in Newcastle. It was separated from the river in 1985. The present buildings are 16th Century and later. Restored 1982-4.

35, The Close, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

8296756794 1b7c8bc867 m
Lort Burn. Originally Dene Burn, it became Lort Burn (dirty burn) from later 14th century. Rising in Leazes it follows the line of Dean Street and enters river near this spot. High Bridge and Low Bridge mark early bridges across it.

Junction of Sandhill and Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

8295715289 80c6ce1a04 m
Sailing Ship Owners. Throughout the age of sail, this Quayside area around Exchange Buildings (c. 1861) was home to Newcastle's ship owners, including such men as R. Beckwith, H. Milvain and T. Miller.

Corner of Leonard Street and Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

8295614735 ec188efe5a m
Cale Cross. This market cross where food was sold (Cale = cabbage) stood near this spot until 1807. First mentioned in 1309 it was rebuilt in 1783 to design of David Stephenson. Re-erected in grounds of Blagdon Hall.

Queen Street, nr junction with Sandhill and Side, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
35504816366 1a58553c23 m
The Guildhall. The present building incorporates part of Robert Trollope's town court of 1655-8. North front (1796) by William Newton and David Stephenson. South front (1809). East end (1823) by John Dobson, altered 1880. The centre of town government until 1858.

Guildhall, Sandhill, Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
9778302045 2de837f6cc m
Jesmond Cemetery. The Gateway and former Chapels were built for the Newcastle General Cemetery Company in 1836. Architect, John Dobson. Restored by the County Council 1978

121 Jesmond Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
35521250275 e843c85e62 m
The Town Wall. The Sallyport or Wall Knoll Tower, a lesser gateway, was built in the early fourteenth century. The Company of Ships’ Carpenters rebuilt the upper storey in 1716 as a meeting hall.

Causey Bank, Tower Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
34701723554 5d5638c3a4 m
The Town Wall. This stretch of wall was built in the early fourteenth century. From here the wall walk stepped down to the Close Gate at the foot of the slope and came to be known as the Breakneck Stairs.

Hanover Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects