http://www.wakefieldcivicsociety.org.uk/?c=p/plaques/

Staff Nurse Nellie Spindler (1891-1917) lived at 104 Stanley Road and worked as a nurse at the City Fever Hospital, later joining Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service. Killed by shell-fire on 21st August 1917 at Brandhoek, Belgium, she is buried with full military honours, the only woman amongst 10,000 men, at the Commonwealth Military Cemetery at Lijssenthosk.

Stanley Road, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Wakefield College built 1821-23 with a music saloon, library, newsroom, bank, baths and public dispensary. In 1855 it became the Mechanics' Institute and in 1910 the Institute of Literature and Science. The building was the city museum from 1955-2012.

, Wakefield, United Kingdom

1-3 Wood Street. The Bank of Leathem, Tew and Co. opened a branch on this site in ??. The current building designed by...

Qubana Restaurant, Wood Street, Wakefield, United Kingdom

John Lee 1759-1836 the lawyer-entrepeneur who developed St. John's Square and initiated what is probably the first public railway, the Lake Lock Rail Road, lived here from 1802 until his death

2 St Johns Square, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Nevison (1639-1685), the famous robber and highwayman, seen by some as a latter-day Robin Hood, was reputedly arrested in The Three Houses Inn at Sandal prior to his conviction and execution at York in 1685

Three Houses Inn, 379 Barnsley Rd, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Wakefield Museum built 1821-23 with a music saloon, library, newsroom, bank, baths and public dispensary. In 1855 it became the mechanics' institution and in 1910 the institute of literature and science. The building has been a museum since 1955.

2 Wood Street, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Dame Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975) sculptor was born in this house 10 January 1903

15 Duke of York Street, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
This was the boyhood home of Kenneth Leighton (1929-1988) composer, pianist and Reid Professor of Music at Edinburgh University

21 Denstone Street, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
This mansion and its neighbour, amongst the oldest surviving purpose-built banks in the country, were built in the 1790s for Ingram and Kennet. J. B. Dykes 1823-76, prolific composer of hymn tunes came to live here in 1841

67 Westgate, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Designed by H. F. Lockwood, these premises were built in 1877-8 for the Wakefield and Barnsley Union Bank, which was founded in 1832 and remained independent until 1906

57 Westgate, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
In these premises, build in 1962 for the West Riding County Council, was the office of Alec Clegg (1909-1984), Chief Education Officer of the WRCC from 1945-1974 and one of the foremost influences nationally on comprehensive education.

Bond Street, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
This building is the surviving part of the Tammy (Cloth) Hall, opened in 1777. In 1878 it became the borough's fire and police station, as the carvings show.

Cliff Parade, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Dr John Radcliffe 1650-1715 Royal Physician to William and Mary and founder of Oxford's Radcliffe Library, is reputed to have lived near here as a boy.

Radcliffe Place, the Bull Ring, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Wolfenden Kt (1906-1985), lived near here as a boy at 196 Alverthorpe Road. He became a distinguished figure nationally in education and administration and is most remembered for the 1957 'Wolfenden' Report.

196 Alverthorpe Road, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
The boyhood home of David Storey (1933-), rugby footballer, novelist and playwright, much of whose work reflects his years in Wakefield.

91 Manor Haigh Road, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
In these grounds stands the building which was designed in 1950 by the WRCC architect Hubert Bennett Kt (1909-2000) as offices for his department. Bennett went on to become the architect for the GLC and was responsible for both the Hayward Gallery and the Queen Elizabeth Hall

Bishopgarth, Westfield Road, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Here was Manor House Yard in which stood the Manor House Inn, the Moot Hall and the Rolls Office of the vast manor of Wakefield.

entrance of Boots, Kirkgate, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Stanley Hall, built about 1802 for the cloth-merchant Benjamin Heywood, was the home of William Shaw (1804-1859), a successful contractor during the great age of railway building in the 1840s

Stanley Hall, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
The West Riding Registry of Deeds, opened in 1704 and moved here in 1932, was sited in Wakefield as the ancient administrative capital of the county.

Corner of Newstead Road and Margaret Street, Wakefield, United Kingdom

The West Riding House of Correction (prison) opened on this site in 1595. It came under government management in 1878.

Corner of Back Lane and Westgate, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Lake Lock Railroad, probably the world's first public railway, crossed Aberford Road here. It was opened in 1798 to carry coals from the Outwood area to the Aire and Calder Navigation at Lake Lock.

The Sycamores, corner of Aberford Road and Lake Lock Road, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Until 1860 this building housed the boardroom of the Aire and Calder Navigation, a waterways company established in 1699 and for long Britain's richest.

Aire and Calder Navigation, Navigation Yard, Wakefield, United Kingdom

John Potter DD 1674-1747, Bishop of Oxford and from 1737 Archbishop of Canterbury, lived as a boy in the family home here above his father's draper's shop

The Black Rock, Cross Square, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
William Whiteley 1831-1907, the self-styled universal provider and founder of one of the world's first department stores, was apprenticed hereabouts in 1848 to Harnew and Clover, drapers

Central Chambers, the Bull Ring, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Noel Gay (1898-1954), lyricist and popular-song writer and composer of the Lambeth Walk was a chorister at Wakefield Cathedral in his teenage years.

Wakefield Cathedral, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Chemist T. W. Gissing (1829-1870) owned this shop from 1856 until his death. His eldest son, novelist George Gissing (1857-1903), was born in the family home to its rear.

Natwest Bank, Westgate, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Wakefield's wool market was held here in Westgate, latterly on Thursdays, from medieval times until the business transferred to the wool warehouses built in Cheapside and the surrounding yards.

HSBC, Westgate, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Near this site stood the public bakehouse of the lords of the manor of Wakefield. It was demolished in 1861 to make way for the Church Institute, later Youth House.

Marygate, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Here stood the Wakefield Corn Exchange and public buildings. Designed by W. L. Moffat of Doncaster, opened in 1837, enlarged in 1864 and demolished in the early 1960s.

Argos store, Westgate, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Pemberton House was built in 1754 for Pemberton Milnes 1729-1795, cloth merchant, active magistrate and leader of the dissenting Whig political interest in the West Riding

Pemberton House, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Wakefield Cattle Market was opened here in 1765, at one time the largest in the North of England, it survived, albeit on a diminished scale, until 1963.

Royal Mail Sorting Office, Denby Dale Road, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Caleb Crowther MD 1769-1849 built these almshouses for poor nonconformists to the design of William Shaw, railway contractor and fellow worshipper at Zion Chapel nearby.

Dr. Crowther's Almshouse, George Street, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Wakefield Ings turnpike 1831-1863 here crossed the Wakefield and Denby Dale turnpike 1825-1874. Both were new roads financed by tolls.

Junction of Ings Road and Denby Dale Road, Wakefield, United Kingdom

The Double Two Shirt Company, a significant employer of local people and exporter of its famous Double Two Shirts to over 40 countries, was established in 1940 in Kirkgate, Wakefield. The company moved to this sitein 1952. Isaak Donner (1904-2000) was the co-founder of the business and remained its active chairman until his death.

Thornes Lane Wharf, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Potteries were a feature of this area from medieval times, giving rise to the old name of 'Potovens'. Opposite this site Robert Glover's potter's cottage, built in 1679, together with several 17th century pottery kilns.

Wrenthorpe Potteries, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Richmal Mangnall

Young People’s Centre on High Street, Crofton, United Kingdom

Dr Trevor Hatherton, OBE (1924-1992) geophysicist & antarctic explorer, was born at 12 Long Row. He was President of The Royal Society of New Zealand from 1985 to 1989

Long Row, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Theatre Royal. A Theatre has stood on this site since 1776. The current building was designed by the famous theatre architect Frank Matcham (1854-1920) and opened on 15th October 1894. This Grade II* Listed Building is Matcham's smallest surviving theatre in the British Isles

Drury Lane, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Arthur Greenwood (1880-1954) Member of Parliament for Wakefield 1932-1954 and a Cabinet Member during World War II. As Chairman of the Cabinet Social Services Committee, he was instrumental in founding the National Health Service and the National Insurance Scheme

Greenwood House, George Street, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects
Built as Assembly Rooms in 1798, offices for Wakefield's first newspaper from 1803, and home of Wakefield Church Institution from 1845 to 1858, these premises were leased by Wakefield Corporation as their Town Hall from 1861 to 1880.

Crown Court, Wakefield, United Kingdom

William Alfred Ismay MBE

14 Welbeck Street, Wakefield, United Kingdom

Subjects