West Sussex County Council

West Sussex County Council is the local authority for the West Sussex region of the UK.
Their historical plaques were produced as part of the Selsey Heritage Trail in the town of Chichester.

http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/

The architect Philip Webb 1831 - 1915 co-founder with William Morris of the society for the protection of ancient buildings lived here 1900-1915

Turners Hill Road, Pound Hill, Crawley, United Kingdom

Subjects
The West Sussex Gazette was published here 1853-1996

High Street, Arundel, United Kingdom

Subjects
This view across the sea to Bognor Regis inspired Eric Coates to compose 'By The Sleepy Lagoon' in 1930. It became the signature tune for 'Desert Island Discs'

East Beach, Selsey, United Kingdom

Subjects
In this house lived Ralph Ellis 1885-1963 artist, painter & designer of inn signs

Kings Arms Hill, Arundel, United Kingdom

Subjects
This school occupies part of the grounds of Petlands where Anna Sewell 1820 - 1878 author of 'Black Beauty' lived between 1849 and 1853

Petlands, Heyworth Primary School, New England Road, Haywards Heath, United Kingdom

Subjects
Stone carver wood engraver typographer Eric Gill 1882-1940 lived at no. 2 North Walls (now demolished) 1897-1899

North Walls, Chichester, United Kingdom

Subjects
Here between 1955-1976 lived the artist E. H. Shepard 1879-1976 Illustrator of 'Winnie-the-Pooh' and 'The Wind in the Willows'

EH Shepard's House, Lodsworth, United Kingdom

Subjects
Poet and radical thinker Percy Bysshe Shelley 1792 - 1822 Two of his earliest works were printed here.

Warwick Street, Worthing, United Kingdom

Subjects
In a house on this site Oscar Wilde 1854-1900 wrote The Importance Of Being Ernest in 1894

The Esplanade, Worthing, United Kingdom

Subjects
Quaker and Founder of Pennsylvania William Penn (1644 - 1718) With other Friends he established this meeting house.

Blue Idol Quaker Meeting House, Coolham, United Kingdom

Subjects
The writer H. G. Wells 1866 – 1946 worked in this chemist shop in 1881 which he immortalised in 'Tono-Bungay'

Church Hill Dental Surgery, Church Hill, Midhurst, United Kingdom

Subjects
The writer H. G. Wells 1866-1946 lodged here when a teacher at Midhurst Grammar School 1883-4

North Street, Midhurst, United Kingdom

Subjects
The writer H. G. Wells 1866 – 1946 attended Midhurst Grammar School as a pupil & teacher 1881, 1883-4

Capron House, Midhurst Grammar School, North Street, Midhurst, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Woodard Corporation. Lancing College. The first school of the society of St. Mary and St. Nicolas was originally founded in this house on 1st. August 1848 by Nathaniel Woodard 1811-1891. Curate of New Shoreham.

?, Shoreham-by-sea, United Kingdom

To Commemorate Hilaire Belloc 1870 - 1953 Writer, Poet & Walker "Lift up your hearts in Gumber"

?, Ides Common, United Kingdom

Subjects
A Victorian pleasure resort, The Swiss Gardens founded here in 1838 by James Britton Balley, shipbuilder, 1789-1863

Old Shoreham Road, Shoreham-by-sea, United Kingdom

In this house called Potwell was born William Borrer FRS, FLS 1781-1862 Botanist and Pioneer of British Lichenology

Cagefoot Lane, Henfield, United Kingdom

Subjects
In this house between 1881-1918 lived the musician Sir Hubert Parry 1848-1918. Composer of the setting of Blake's "Jerusalem"

Sea Lane, Rustington, United Kingdom

Subjects
RAF Selsey 1943-1945 From these fields Spitfires & Typhoons provided cover for the Allied invasion forces on D-Day 1944 English, Belgian, French & New Zealand squadrons were based here

Rectory Lane, Church Norton, United Kingdom

In this house lived Captain Henry Roberts 1756-1796. He explored the South Seas with Captain Cook.

Church Street, Shoreham-by-sea, United Kingdom

Father of the British cycle industry James Starley 1830-1881 lived at the original Woodbine Cottage until 1846

B2118 , Albourne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Medmerry Windmill. This early mid c19th tower mill, of local red brick, once featured an outside gallery unique in Sussex. It produced flour & feeds finally grinding peppercorns before closure in the 1920s

, Selsey, United Kingdom