http://www.winchester.gov.uk/

This hotel, built in the reign of Charles II was once known as 'the Bishop's House'. It incorporates part of the Tudor house of Lady Mary West, built on land owned by Wherwell Priory. This was a secret centre for local Catholics in the 1580s. Following sale to the Catholic London District, it became a convent of refugee English Benedictine nuns in 1794. C W Benney converted the building into the Royal Hotel in 1858.

St Peter Street, Winchester, United Kingdom

Alfred, king of the West Saxons (AD 871-899) drove the Danish invaders from Wessex. He created fortified centres, of which Winchester, the largest, was his capital. During his reign, the streets in use today were first established. Alfred was the most esteemed of English kings. He encouraged the revival of learning and monastic life, and laid the foundation for a single kingdom of England. this statue by Hamo Thorneycroft was erected in 1901.

near the statue of Alfred the Great, The Broadway, Winchester, United Kingdom

Subjects
Abbey House stands on the site of St Mary's Abbey. It was built about 1750 and originally faced the gardens to the rear. The present castellated front was added after the widening of the Broadway in 1772. Benedictine nuns fleeing the disturbances of the French Revolution, made their home here in the 1790s. The House now serves as the official residences of the Mayor of Winchester.

Abbey House, The Broadway, Winchester, United Kingdom

Subjects
When repairs were being made to this building in 1959 the carved stones displayed in this wall were found. One stone above this plaque is Saxon work of the 9th century, the others are Norman. They probably came from the Church of St. Ruel, the site of which lies to the south of here. The church was in existence by 1172. Some bricks from a Roman building which lay beneath the church are also built into this wall.

Hampshire Chronicle, 5 Upper Brook Street, Winchester, United Kingdom

Subjects
By 1130 this property was known as Chapman's Hall, where linen cloths were sold. A connection with the clothing trade may have begun 100 years earlier, when a guild hall was located here. Nearby was a small parish church, known in the 14th century as St Mary Wode, suggesting the sale of woad and other dyestuffs. Along the northern boundary of the property was Maydenchamber, a public latrine built over a stream.

Marks & Spencer, 138 High Street, Winchester, United Kingdom

Subjects
This is the site of Thomasgate, the main entrance to the Cathedral precinct following William the Conqueror's enlargment of the royal palace up to the High Street. The land inside the gate was part of the Cathedral burial ground, but began to be used for wood, corn and livestock markets by the 14th century. Temporary market stalls became permanent buildings, leaving Market Street as a narrow access lane.

Monsoon, Market Street, Winchester, United Kingdom

Subjects
This street led to the Winchester ...

Connells, Staple Gardens, Winchester, United Kingdom

Serle's House was built about 1730 for William Sheldon. It fronted Bowling Green Lane, originally the Saxon Gar Street, and had a large garden backing onto Southgate Street where this plaque is located. The house has been in military use almost contiuously since it's purchase by James Serle in 1781. It now houses the museum of the Royal Hampshire Regiment.

Serle's House, Southgate Street, Winchester, United Kingdom

Subjects
Morley College was founded by Bishop Morley in 1672 as a charitable institution for widows of clergy from Winchester and Worcester Dioceses. The plaque ove the central doors was taken from the original building, which was entirely replaced under the supervision of architect John Colson in 1879-80. At that time the site was enlarged to include an area formerly occupied by the City cage and pillory. The property is private.

Morley College - grounds of Winchester Cathedral, Winchester, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Guildhall was located on this site from 1361 until construction of the Victorian replacement in the Broadway. The existing building dates from 1713 and is adorned by a statue of Queen Anne and the Town Clock - gifts of rival families and political factions. The curfew bell - sounded to indicate closure of the City gates - is housed in the tower and is still rung every night at 8pm.

, Winchester, United Kingdom