The medieval church of Saint Andrew was demolished c1949 after many years of decline, disuse and decay. All that remains is the 15thC tower with it's vaulted ceiling and fine series of 32 carved stone bosses. The tower is crowned by the work of local master mason, Nathaniel Wilkinson; His spire was erected in the 1750's to replace the smaller, wooden predecessor, destroyed by lightning c1730. Also during the 18thC, the red sandstone tower was externally refaced with limestone. The church consisted of a chancel and nave with side aisles, all under a slated rood and dwarfed by the tower and spire. Wooden bosses from the church roof survive in the museums at Worcester and Avoncroft. Most of the monuments and furnishings were lost but some, including the 12thC font, are now in All Saint's Church. The tower retains a substantial timber bell-frame and just one bell, probably 16thC. The floodlighting of the tower and spire was a Millennium Project, completed in November 2000 and made possible by donations from individual members of Worcester Severn Rotary Club.
Spire of the church of St Andrew - Copenhagen Street / Deansway, Worcester, United Kingdom