20488447841 4871a6b9ea m
The site of the City Wall This bridge leads from the top of the city wall to The Hive. Worcester city wall was built by the citizens in the late 12th century. It had several towers and three gatehouses. Over the centuries the wall decayed, was rebuilt, and was used as a stone quarry. Below here the city wall is entirely rebuilt in brick.

The Hive - The Butts, Worcester, United Kingdom

20488550541 7cdc260e66 m
The site of Nash's Almshouses The red slabs set into the pavement mark ou the floor plan of a terrace of nine almshouses which were built in the 1830s. Almshouses were provided by charities for housing the poor. These almshouses were built by the charity founded by Alderman John Nash in the 1600s. The houses were very small with one downstairs room and a bedroom upstairs. The whole terrace shared one outside water pump and two privies (toilets). These almshouses were demolished in the 1970s.

The Hive - The Butts, Worcester, United Kingdom

20294171890 0701a4e941 m
The site of a Roman street This area was a busy part of the Roman town of Worcester. A Roman street once ran past here down towards the river. Excavations found a cobbled road (running east to west), with a row of shops and houses fronting onto it. The evidence points to an area used for commerical food preparation, including baking.

The Hive - The Butts, Worcester, United Kingdom

20456158306 2debc38b7b m
Roman iron slag This sample of iron slag is waste from the Roman iron-working industry of Worcester. Workshops and smelting hearths have been excavated across Worcester and they produced iron bars, the raw material for blacksmiths. Slag was a by-product and used for building roads in the town. A great deal of slag was dumped outside the settlement and here it was used to make up the ground in the flood plain.

The Hive - The Butts, Worcester, United Kingdom

20294088158 b553637215 m
The Cattle Market You are standing in the centre of Worcester's 19th century cattle market. The buying and selling of livestock took place within the city for centuries, until 1838 when a purpose-built market was constructed here on the edge of the town and continued in operation for 160 years. In the middle of the market stood the auctioneers' offices, an octagonal brick building with a clock tower.

The Hive - The Butts, Worcester, United Kingdom

2030581 f8c78780 120x120
This steel cantilever bridge with a main span of 200 feet was designed and built by Worcestershire County Council and opened in 1940 was one of the last of riveted construction to be built in England It replaced an 1854 swing bridge situated approximately 100 yards downstream of this point Presented this millennium year 2000

?, Upton-upon-Severn, United Kingdom