Joseph Aloysius Hansom 1803-1882 Architect and designer of the Hansom Cab was born and lived here

114 Micklegate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Samuel Tuke 1784-1857 Preeminent Quaker and social campaigner. Pioneer in the treatment of mental health and Manager of York Retreat lived here

Tuke House, Lawrence Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Joseph Terry confectioner and chocolatier (1793-1850) founder of Terry's of York had his first factory and shop here

3-5 St Helen’s Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Coat of Arms of Charles I. The Coat of Arms above the entrance is that of Charles I who stayed in the King's Manor in 1633 and 1639. His father James I (James VI of Scotland) whose monogram appears on the doorway had introduced the unicorn the supporter of Scotland into the royal arms. The lion is the supporter of England. The two beast hold lances with the flags of St Andrew and St George. The fleur-de-lis of France and the harp of Ireland can also be seen. Note the N of the word MOИ. The coat of arms was restored by the York Civic Trust in 1972.

King's Manor, Exhibition Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Red Tower. This Tower marks the termination of the City Walls, and at one time marked the commencement of an impassable swamp, which extended to Layerthorpe Postern, the position of which was near the existing Layerthorpe Bridge; the Tower suffered severely in the siege of 1644 and has undergone many restorations since that period rendered necessary by the nature of the ground on which the foundations are laid. Formerly the Tower was known as Brimstone House after a manufactory carried on within its walls.

Foss Island Road, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Pavement So called as early as 1378. Perhaps one of the first medieval streets in the City to have a paved way. It was the scene of public markets and gatherings, proclamations and punishments. Thomas Percy, Earl of Northumberland, was beheaded here on 22nd August 1572. At the restoration of King Charles II in 1660 the effigy of Oliver Cromwell was hung and later burnt here.

Pavement, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Miles Coverdale c.1488-1569. Bishop of Exeter and believed to be a native of York, he translated and published the first complete printed English Bible (1535) and revised the Great Bible of 1539 sponsored by Thomas Cromwell. He was a major figure of the English Reformation and the Authorised version of the Bible (1611) and the psalms in the Book of Common Prayer (1662) depend heavily on his work. Copies of his translations were long kept in this building which, from its erection c.1420 to 1810, housed York Minster Library.

Minster Yard, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir Thomas Herbert 1606-1682 lived hereabouts. A Parliamentarian, he later became a Groom of the Bedchamber and a close friend of Charles I. He stayed with him on the night before his execution and attended him on the scaffold.

7 High Petergate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
The King's Manor. A house was built on this site c.1270 as a Residence for the Abbot of St. Mary's Abbey but was substantially rebuilt in the late 15th century. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539 it became, until 1641, the Headquarters of the Council of the North and the Residence of its Presidents who added to the buildings. Henry VIII, Charles I and James I stayed there. Since 1963 it has been occupied by the University of York.

Exhibition Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
St. Antony's Hall the ancient hall of the guild of St. Anthony which was founded prior to 1418 and dissolved in 1627. From 1705 to 1946 it housed the York Blue Coat Boys' School.

St Anthony's Hall, Peasholme Green, YO1 7PW, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Mansion House. The residence of the Lord Mayor during his year of office. It was built in 1725-30.

Saint Helen's Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
From a window in Treasurer's House near this tablet, the young deaf and dumb astronomer John Goodricke 1764 - 1786 who was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society at the age of 21, observed the periodicity of the star ALGOL and discovered the variation of δ CEPHEI and other stars thus laying the foundation of modern measurement of the Universe.

Minster Yard, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Our Lady's Row, Goodramgate. The oldest surviving row of houses in York built in 1316 in the churchyard of Holy Trinity to endow a chantry of the Bless Virgin Mary. The name Goodramgate derives from Gutherungate (13th. century) an Anglicised form of an old Scandinavian name.

70 Goodramgate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Davygate. A thoroughfare for over 800 years and named after David, the King's Lardiner in the reign of King Stephen (1135) whose great grandfather had come over with William the Conqueror. He had control over the nearby Forest of Galtres and supplied the Royal Larder therefrom.

Saint Helen's Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
George Hudson MP 1800-1871. An Alderman and three times Lord Mayor of York, he became known as The Railway King for his work in bringing the railways to York. It was here that he had his original draper's shop.

1 College Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
St Sampson's Church. The Church is first mentioned in 1154. Its Tower was damaged by cannon balls in 1644 and the Church was largely rebuilt in 1848. The adjacent door is fifteenth century. The redundant Church was taken over by the York Civic Trust in 1974. It was restored and converted into an Old People's Centre by means of a Grant from The Hayward Foundation and was furnished and equipped by the Round Tables of York.

Church Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Praetorian Gate. Near here stood the principal entrance into the City in the days of the Romans. Original date uncertain but probably rebuilt circa 300A.D.

1 Saint Helen's Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Petergate. The Via Principalis of the Roman fortress. The street derives its name from the Minster, which is dedicated to St. Peter.

54 Low Petergate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Black Swan A fine timber-framed house. The home of William Bowes MP, Lord Mayor of York 1417; also of his son William Bowes MP, Lord Mayor 1443 and of his grandson Sir Martin Bowes, Lord Mayor of London, in 1545 and Treasurer of the Royal Mint in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I; donor of a Sword of State to the City of York. Later the home of Edward Thompson M.P., Lord Mayor of York 1683 and of Henrietta Wolfe, his daughter, the mother of General James Wolfe of Quebec who lived here as a child.

23 Peasholme Green, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Norman House. Originally a two storey building of good Norman freestone, it would have had an undercroft of wood supporting the first floor which was probably also of wood. The hall on the first floor was lit by windows, one of which remains and has a shaft with a water leaf capital between the two lights. The windows were rebated at the inside for shutters but were never glazed. The house was probably at one time the Prebendal house of Osbaldwick, a village near York, and indeed a house on the site was used by the Minster Clergy until the 19th century. The few decorative details and the masonry fix the date of the house at c.1180. It is without doubt the oldest dwelling house of which any substantial remains still stand in situ in the City. The courtyard was restored in 1969 through the initiative of the York Civic Trust.

52A Stonegate, York, United Kingdom

Stonegate. The Via Praetoria of the Roman fortress of Eboracum and in daily use for about 1900 years. Its name derived from the fact that it was a Roman stone-paved street.

41 Stonegate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
York College for Girls. Non Nobis Solum. This house was occupied by the College from its foundation in 1908 to its closure in 1997.

62 Low Petergate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Cuthbert Morrell House. Acquired and restored by York Conservation Trust in 2006, this building is named after Cuthbert Morrell (1872-1959), co-founder of the trust. It was originally built in the late 19th century as an extension of St Anthony's Hall to accommodate part of the Blue Coat School.

47 Aldwark, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Minster Gates. Here stood one of the Entrance Gates into the Minster Liberty, for foot traffic only. There have been posts here for probably 600 years. The approach was called at one time Bookland Lane and, after the coming of printing, Bookbinders Alley, because of its association with bookselling and printing. Note the sign on the corner property (→) depicting Minerva (goddess of wisdom and drama) leaning on a pile of books.

Minster Gates, York, United Kingdom

The Shambles. The ancient street of the Butchers of York, mentioned in the Domesday Book of William the Conqueror. It takes its name from the word 'Shamel', meaning the stalls or benches on which the meat was displayed - later versions of which can still be seen. It was rebuilt about 1400, when it assumed its present character.

5-6 Kings Court, York, United Kingdom

Monk Bar. Probably so named after the monks of a neighbouring monastery, not as erroneously supposed after General Monk 1660. The vaulted chambers above were the Freemen's Prison. The Arms of England are quartered with those of France on the outer side of Bar. The original portcullis still remains. This Bar is on line of Roman Wall, erected on Roman foundations in the 13th century and enlarged in the 15th century. Barbican removed 1825. The Bar completely restored 1953 and strengthened in 1979.

Goodramgate, York, United Kingdom

Roman Column. This Roman column once stood within the great hall of the headquarters building of the fortress of the Sixth Legion (whose emblem was a bull) in the fourth century A.D. It was found in 1969 during the excavation of the south transept of the Minster, lying where it had collapsed. It was given by the Dean & Chapter to the York Civic Trust, who in 1961 erected it on this site to mark the 1900th anniversary of the foundation of the city in A.D. 71.

Deangate, York, United Kingdom

Bedern Chapel. The remains of the Chapel of the College of the Vicars Choral of York Minster. It was consecrated in 1349. Nearby is the Common Hall of the College. The name Bedern (Anglo-Saxon) means House of Prayer (Bed-aer).

Bartle Garth, York, United Kingdom

Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate. The shortest street in York. Known in 1505 as Whitnourwhatnourgate (and meaning 'what a street !') it was changed later into its present name. The footpath was paved in York stone by York Civic Trust in 1984.

Whip-Ma-Whop-Ma-Gate, York, United Kingdom

On this site in 1768, The Ancient Society of York Florists held their first flower show. "Happiness being the ultimate end proposed by the Society". Supported by Yorkshire Gardens Trust.

24-26 Colliergate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
This tablet is erected by the York Civic Trust in memory of Matthew Poole M.A. who is buried in this church. He was Rector of St. Michael le Querne London in 1649 and resigned in 1662 on the passing of the Act of Uniformity. He was the author of 'Poli Synopsis Criticorum', a work on which he laboured for 10 years. Born in York in 1624 he died in Amsterdam on 12th October 1679.

English Reformed Church, Begijnhof 48, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Subjects
Jaques Sterne, Precentor of York Minster lived here, from 1742 to 1759.

Minster Yard, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
A fine example of the architecture of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries given by Messrs. J. W. Cameron & Company Limited to the York Civic Trust by whom it was restored in 1969. It is named after a founder and secretary of the Trust who died in 1951.

17-19 Aldwark, York, United Kingdom

This Observatory was built by the Yorkshire Philosophical Society following the inaugural meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science in 1831. It has an earlier rotating roof designed by John Smeaton who also designed the Eddystone Lighthouse. The Observatory housed what was for many years the largest refracting telescope in the world, designed and built by Thomas Cook of York, whose firm also built the Greenwich transit instrument. It was restored and refitted to mark the British Associations 150th Anniversary meeting in York in 1981 and was officially opened by its President H.R.H. the Duke of Kent, G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O.

Museum Gardens, York, United Kingdom

Bootham. From the old West Scandinavian word "Buthum" (1150) - "at the booths" - implying a district of humble or temporary dwellings. Jurisdiction over Bootham was hotly disputed between the City and St. Mary's Abbey. The main road to the City from the North, it is on the line of the Roman road.

6 Bootham, York, United Kingdom

Dr. William Arthur Evelyn 1860-1935. A pioneer of conservation of the City of York between 1891 and 1935, he lived in this house from 1910 to 1931. This plaque was erected by York Civic trust and the Yorkshire Architectural and York Archaeological Society in 1985 to mark the fiftieth anniversary of his death.

33 Bootham, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Joseph Rowntree 1836-1925. In this house lived a man whose life was to exercise a profound influence upon a City of which he became in 1911 an Honorary Freeman. A pioneer of research and reform in social policy and industrial relations, he became Chairman of the Company which bears his name, and established three Trusts which seek to continue his work through the generous resources he gave to them.

49 Bootham, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Exhibition Square. Created in 1879, it takes its name from the Fine Art and Industrial Exhibition of that year for which the building that now houses the City Art Gallery was erected.

Exhibition Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Richard III. Within the Archbishop's palace here, King Richard III invested his son as Prince of Wales on the 8th September, 1483.

Dean's Park, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
The upper storey of this building was the meeting place of York Methodists from 1753 to 1759. John Wesley, Charles Wesley and George Whitefield preached here on several occasions during that time. The actual room which the Methodists occupied was destroyed by fire and replaced by the present room about the year 1880.

Newgate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
St George's Hall Cinema. The facade of the cinema which was opened in 1921 and closed in 1965. It is a rare example of cinema architecture of the 1920's.

Castlegate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Castlegate House. Designed by John Carr, Architect, of York (1723-1807) for Peter Johnson, Recorder of York, and completed in 1763.

29 Castlegate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
York County Hospital 1740-1977 This building was designed by J. B. and W. Atkinson. Architects of York. The foundation stone was laid in 1849 and the 100 bedded hospital and Nurses Training School was opened in 1851.

Monkgate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
The St. Andrew Society of York. The Society was founded in the Coffee Rooms in these premises on the 7th. December 1894.

19 High Ousegate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
George Hudson M.P. 1800-1871 Lived in this house. An Alderman and three times Lord Mayor of York, he became known as The Railway King for his work in bringing the railways to York.

44 Monkgate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Near to this place, Margaret Clitherow of York, Saint of the Catholic Church, was martyred for her Christian faith, on 25th March 1586.

Ouse Bridge, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Walmgate Bar. Probably built in the reign of Edward I. The wood and plaster building on the inner side is of the Elizabethan period. This Bar was greatly damaged during the siege of York 1644 by Parliamentarians' battery fire from Lamel Hill. The portcullis and gates remain and this Bar alone retains its barbican which was erected in the reign of Edward III. The Arms of Henry V are on the outer side. The Bar was restored in 1648 and completely renovated in 1959.

Walmgate Bar, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Roman Fortress. This plaque marks the site of the Porta Principalis Dextra or North Western Gate of the Roman Fortress of which the foundations as rebuilt circa A.D.300 lie just below ground.

Bootham Bar, York, United Kingdom

Cumberland House. Erected in the early eighteenth century by Alderman William Cornwell, one time Sheriff and twice Lord Mayor of York. It appears to have been given its name in honour of the Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II, who was given the freedom of the City on his way back to London after the battle of Culloden in 1746.

Cumberland Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Fairfax House. Built in 1755-1762 by John Carr for Viscount Fairfax of Emley. It was restored in 1983/84 by York Civic Trust and contains the famous Noel Terry Collection of Georgian furniture. The House is open to the public.

Castlegate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects