The House in the Rock, Knaresborough
(1770-present)

place and house

Aged 248

Commemorated on 1 plaque

The House in the Rock was partly excavated from the crag by a linen weaver, Thomas Hill, and his son between 1770 and 1791. Originally known as Fort Montague, it was a popular tourist attraction but became a purely private residence in 2000.

Abbey Road, Knaresborough, United Kingdom where it sited (1770)