Leeds Union Workhouse
(1861-present)

place and workhouse

Aged 161

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Leeds Union Workhouse opened in 1861 at a cost of £32,00 to accommodate 800 paupers. In 1944 it became part of St James's Hospital, and in 1995-97 it was splendidly refurbished as the Thackray Medical Museum. Architects: Perkin & Backhouse

Beckett Street, Leeds, United Kingdom where it sited (1861)