Ffestiniog Railway

thing and railway

Aged unknown

The Ffestiniog Railway (Welsh: Rheilffordd Ffestiniog) is a 1 ft 11+1⁄2 in (597 mm) narrow-gauge heritage railway, located in Gwynedd, Wales. It is a major tourist attraction located mainly within the Snowdonia National Park. The railway is roughly 13+1⁄2 miles (21.7 km) long and runs from the harbour at Porthmadog to the slate mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog, travelling through forested and mountainous scenery. The line is single track throughout with four intermediate passing places. The first mile of the line out of Porthmadog runs atop an embankment called the Cob, which is the dyke of the Traeth Mawr polder. The Festiniog Railway Company, which owns the railway, is the oldest surviving railway company in the world. It also owns the Welsh Highland Railway, which was re-opened fully in 2011. The two railways share the same track gauge and meet at Porthmadog station, with occasional trains working the entire 40-mile (64 km) route from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Caernarfon.

Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 3 plaques

Ffestiniog Railway In 1863 the company pioneered the use of narrow-gauge steam locomotive haulage. The Fairlie patent design of articulated bogie locomotive and Britain's first bogie coaches were successfully introduced in the 1870s. These innovations led to worldwide exports for British technology.

Ffestiniog Railway, Harbour Station, Porthmadog, United Kingdom where it sited

Ffestiniog Railway. Pioneer user of narrow-gauge steam railway (1863) and articulated locomotives (1869) and bogie carriages (1872) in difficult terrain.

, Porthmadog, United Kingdom where it sited

Rheilffordd Ffestiniog. Defnyddiwr arloesolo o injian stem ar reilffordd gui (1863) a locomotif gymalog (1869) a cherbydau bogie (1872) mewn tirwedd anodd

English translation:

, Porthmadog, United Kingdom where it sited