place and church
Commemorated on 1 plaque
Bethel A. M. E. Church. Founded 1808 & known as the African Church. Chartered in 1818. Located nearby in early years, church was site of area's first school for colored children, 1831, & statewide civil rights convention, 1841. Congregation moved to Wylie Avenue, 1872; to Webster Avenue, 1959.
405 1st Ave., at Smithfield St., Pittsburgh, PA, United States where it sited (1808-1872)