Sir Rt Hon. Duke Francis Russell KG PC
(1788-1861)

7th Duke of Bedford (from 1839), Privy Counsellor (from 1846), and 702nd Knight of the Order of the Garter (from 1847)

Died aged c. 73

Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 5 plaques

Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr

Guildhall Built in 1848 by the Duke of Bedford, on a site once occupied by the mill of Tavistock, this building replaced an earlier Guildhall that stood in Bedford Square. Its duties as a courthouse ended in 2001

Abbey Place, Tavistock, United Kingdom where they was

Bedford Estate Office From the 1820's to the 1960's the Duke of Bedford's local estates were administered from this building

Plymouth Road, Tavistock, United Kingdom where they was

Bedford Hotel Abbey House, built in the 1720's on the monastic site, was for many years the residence of the Duke of Bedford's agent. Its conversion to an hotel took place in 1822

Plymouth Road, Tavistock, United Kingdom where they was

Town Hall. Opened in 1864, the Town Hall emerged as the centrepiece of the seventh Duke of Bedford's ambitious scheme for the development of the town centre.

Bedford Square, Tavistock, United Kingdom where they was

Cornmarket Erected by the Duke of Bedford in 1835 on the site of the Green Dragon Inn. Between 1913 and 1957 it had a second life as the town's first cinema. Renovated by Wessex Heritage in 1992

King Street, Tavistock, United Kingdom where they was