Sprinch

thing and brook

Aged unknown

Commemorated on 2 plaques

Photo of Sprinch, Thomas Johnson, and John Johnson jr blue plaque
Stuart Allen on Wikimedia Commons
Photo of Sprinch and Old Police Station, Runcorn blue plaque
Stuart Allen on Wikimedia Commons

Old Quay Yard. This area was originally important because of the 'Sprinch', a brook that was the town's water supply. It flowed into the River Mersey near this spot. The original ferry service, which began in 1178, operated from this area to Woodend in Widnes. Ship building here since at least 1802, with facilities owned by, amongst others, Johnson Bros., Speakman & Sons, Stubbs, and perhaps most famously, Dennis Brundrit who once lived in South Bank House on Lord Street. Shipbuilding ended here in the 1890s with the building of the Manchester Ship Canal, but ship repair and boat building continued until 2003. Today the site of The Deck residential complex.

The Deck, Runcorn, United Kingdom where it sited

The Old Police Station. Built mainly from local sandstone in 1831 at a cost of £450, with additions in 1859, it is a Grade II listed building. There were further red brick additions to the building in 1897. Situated in the once bustling shopping area of Bridge Street, this beautiful building was Runcorn's first town hall. It also functioned as a bridewell, and contained a courtroom for petty sessions and cells in the basement. On the floor to your right can be seen the original stocks. When the council moved its offices to Waterloo House on Waterloo Road in 1883, it left the police force free to take over the whole building, and it became Runcorn Police Station. The building was restored and reopened in 1998 by Queen Elizabeth II. The lamppost behind you marks the former site of a fountain, which was given to the town by the Earl of Ellesmere. It was erected in 1857, but was demolished in 1948 for the widening of Bridge Street. It stood on the line of the 'Sprinch', a brook that once served as the town's water supply.

The Old Police Station, Bridge Street, Runcorn, United Kingdom where it sited