R. H. Posnett
Commemorated on 1 plaque
Runcorn Association Football Club. R. H. Posnett, the owner of Highfield and Camden tanneries, purchased the Canal Street ground in 1918, which had been used previously by the town's rugby team. Runcorn A.F.C. was formed in the same year, as part of the Highfield and Camden Tanneries Recreation Club, hence the team's early nickname of 'The Tanners'. The team continued to be run under the umbrella of the tanneries until 1953, when it became Runcorn A.F.C. Ltd. Runcorn A.F.C., later nicknamed 'The Linnets' because of the green colour in their home kits, were a major force in non-League football. The peak of the team's success was winning the Alliance Premier League in 1982. However, they could not apply for election to the Football League because their ground did not meet League requirements. Just five seasons later, this system of voting teams into the Football League was replaced by automatic promotion, but it was too late to help Runcorn A.F.C., who were no longer the great side they once were. In the 1993-94 season, a perimeter wall collapsed during an F.A. Cup tie with Hull City, the main stand was destroyed by fire, and the roof of another stand blew off during heavy winds. These events, together with poor form on the pitch, sent the club into a downward spiral, and in 2000 the club sold its Canal Street ground that had been its home since 1918. This was a great disappointment to fans, and caused a general feeling of loss in the town. The Linnets Park housing estate now stands on the former site of the ground. In 2006 Runcorn AFC ceased activity, but fans of the team formed a new club called Runcorn Linnets, who play at The Millbank Linnets Stadium in Murdishaw. C'mon the 'Corn!
The Bridgewater Bar, Canal Street, Runcorn, United Kingdom where they purchased