place and market cross
Commemorated on 1 plaque
Fulford Cross This structure is the lower section of a medieval standing cross. Standing crosses were built for various purposes including marking boundaries, battlegrounds and meeting places for preaching, proclamation and religious processions. Fulford Cross may have been erected in 1484 as a boundary marker, when the City reached an agreement with St. Mary's Abbey over rights to common pasture in Fulford. Less than 2,000 medieval standing crosses, with or without cross-heads, are now thought to exist in England. Fulford Cross is a protected Scheduled Ancient Monument.
256, Fulford Road, York, United Kingdom where it sited