Church of England School, Grange-over-Sands
place and school
Commemorated on 1 plaque
The Royal British Legion. The national Church of England School opened in 1864 with the inscription '... to be forever used for the education of children and adults only of the labouring and manufacturing classes.' By 1869 the school had been placed under Government inspection, no longer financed solely by the Church. Alexander Brogden of Holme Island began a series of famous 'Penny Readings' here in 1876, so simple folk could enjoy their first taste of poetry and literature. An extension was built by public subscription in 1885 which saved the Local School Board building costs of £2,000 and the community a sixpenny increase on the rates.
Kents Bank Road, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom where it sited