William Plenty

Died aged c. 73


Family tree

Commemorated on 1 plaque

This plaque celebrates the long and distinguished industrial record of Plenty’s Eagle Iron Works which was located near this spot until 1965. Founded by William Plenty in 1790 in Southampton and subsequently moved to Newbury, the company was managed by his descendants, including three called Edward Pellow Plenty, until 1949. It's first major product was an efficient iron plough. In 1817 it launched a life boat which was recommended for general use by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (as it is now called). In 1865 it diversified into manufacturing steam engines and boilers for ships, supplied to the Royal Navy and exported across the world. In the 1920's it adapted to diesel technology for ships , power generators, winches, and compressors. In 1935 it launched a rotary pump and from 1955 it concentrated on fluid processing technology, including pumps, filters and mixers. Other Plenty products over the years have included iron bridges, canal sluices and balloon gas equipment. In 1965 the company moved to Hambridge Road and in 2001 it became SPX Flow Technology, with premises in Newbury, Didsbury and Glasgow, and whose products still bear the Plenty brand.

Kennet Shopping centre, Cheap Street, Newbury, United Kingdom where they worked (1790)