Burmantofts Pottery
(1842-1957)

place and pottery

Closed aged c. 115

Burmantofts Pottery was the common trading name of a manufacturer of ceramic pipes and construction materials, named after the Burmantofts district of Leeds, England, United Kingdom. The business began in 1859 when fire clay was discovered in a coal mine owned by William Wilcox and John Lassey. In 1863 Lassey's share was bought by John Holroyd and the company then named Wilcox & Co. In 1879, after a period of expansion, the firm made decorative bricks and tiles in orange or buff-coloured architectural terracotta, glazed bricks, and glazed terracotta (faience). Architect Alfred Waterhouse used their materials in his Yorkshire College (1883) in Leeds, and his National Liberal Club (1884) in London. In 1885 products were on sale in London, Paris and Montreal. By 1889 they had commissioned Maurice Bingham Adams to design stock items for their catalogue. Also in 1889 Wilcox & Co merged with other companies to found The Leeds Fireclay Co. Ltd. — the largest in the country. Terracotta production ceased in 1904 but the firm created an artificial marble called Marmo in 1908, as used on Atlas House, King Street, Leeds and Michelin House, London. The firm closed in 1957, at which time it comprised ninety kilns on 16 acres (65,000 m2) of land.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

'(p_khoo) on Flickr

Burmantofts Pottery. Coal mining and brick making began here in 1842. From 1880,using the site's fireclay, Wilcock & Co made terracotta and glazed coloured Burmantofts Faience for flower pot stands, ornaments and decorative bricks and tiles used all over the world. 1842-1957

Gargrave Court LS9 7ED, Leeds, United Kingdom where it sited