place and synagogue
The Jesmond Synagogue is a former synagogue in the Jesmond neighbourhood of Newcastle upon Tyne, in northeast England. It was originally conceived as a branch of the Leazes Park Synagogue for families who had moved out of the city centre, but eventually founded in 1914 as an independent congregation. The synagogue, on Eskdale Terrace in Jesmond, was built in 1914-15 by Marcus Kenneth Glass in an Art Deco interpretation of Byzantine Revival style. The porch has a triple arcade and columns with lotus bud capitals. A large, sunburst, stained-glass window fills the huge Byzantine arch of the facade. The brickwork is coursed with alternating beige and red stripes. The synagogue was closed in 1986. The exterior has been carefully conserved; the interior has been gutted and renovated for use as a school. It now forms part of the Central Newcastle High School, an independent girls' school.DbPedia
Commemorated on 1 plaque
39 Eskdale Terrace Jesmond Synagogue Synagogue designed by local architect Marcus K. Glass, opened in 1915. Served the Jesmond Hebrew Congregation and, from 1973, the United Hebrew Congregation of Newcastle upon Tyne until closure of the building in 1986.
39 Eskdale Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom where it sited