Metropolitan Cattle Market

place and market

Aged unknown

The Metropolitan Cattle Market (later Caledonian Market), just off the Caledonian Road in the parish of Islington (now the London Borough of Islington) was built by the City of London Corporation and was opened in June 1855 by Prince Albert. The market was supplementary to the meat market at Smithfield and was established to remove the difficulty of managing live cattle at that latter site.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons

On this spot stood the Metropolitan Cattle Market providing fresh beef, pork and mutton for London

The Clocktower, Caledonian Park, Market Estate, Islington, London, United Kingdom where it sited