Bargate, Christchurch
(d.1744)

place and ancient stone gatehouse (until 1744)

Closed aged unknown

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Photo of Bargate, Christchurch blue plaque
Elliott Brown on Flickr

At the entrance to the town at this point stood the ancient stone gatehouse known as THE BARGATE thought to date from the 12th century, which straddled and constricted the High Street, and was removed c. 1744 by order of the Mayor

Bath Travel, 4 High Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom where it sited -1743)