Canada / Toronto, ON

all or unphotographed
The Albany Club of Toronto The Albany Club of Toronto was established in 1882 as a conservative political club. Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister, strongly encouraged the creation of the club. He joined it in early 1883 and became its first honorary president in 1889. The first president was Alexander Morris, Q.C., Conservative house leader in Ontario and a former law student of Sir John A. Morris later became chief justice and Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba. The club was named after Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, fourth son and eighth child of Queen Victoria. The club moved to 91 King Street East in August of 1898. Ten of Canada's Conservative prime ministers have been members of the Albany Club, as has every one of Ontario's ten Conservative premiers to date. Members have also held the offices of Governor General and Lieutenant Governor and have served their community, their city and their country with distinction. The club retains its conservative political affiliation. Erected to commemorate the centennial of the club's occupancy of this building.

91 King Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Charles William Jefferys 1869-1951 Writer, artist, and illustrator of historical novels and textbooks, Charles Jefferys emigrated to Canada from England in 1879. After studying at the Toronto Art Students League, he joined the New York Herald as an illustrator in 1892, but returned to Canada in 1900 to work as a freelance artist for the Globe and the Daily Star. From 1911 to 1939 he taught drawing and painting at the University of Toronto. He painted landscapes and historical subjects across Canada, but is best known for his carefully researched drawings, such as those in his three volume Picture Gallery of Canadian History.

1 King's College Circle, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Professor of Literature Marshall McLuhan (1911 - 1980), a pioneer in the study of media, communications, and popular culture, lived here from 1955 to 1968.

29 Wells Hill Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Alexander Muir (1830 - 1906) Schoolmaster, poet and the author of "The Maple Leaf Forever," lived here from 1891 - 1901. He was inspired to write the song in 1867 following a walk in Leslie Gardens, during which a Maple leaf is said to have fallen and clung to his sleeve. Muir was born in Lesmahagow, Scotland, and came to Upper Canada with his parents at an early age. He was educated in his father's school in Scarborough, and at Queen's University. After teaching in various centres, he became the principal of Gladstone Avenue Public School in 1888.

9 Mackenzie Crescent, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
The novelist Robertson Davies (1913-1995) lived here from 1963 to 1981 as the first Master of Massey College

Devonshire Place, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Charles William Jefferys 1869-1951 This house was the residence and studio of one of Canada's leading historical artists. Born in Rochester, England, he came to Toronto about 1880, and first worked as a lithographer's apprentice. He studied art under G.A. Reid and C.M. Manley, and was a pioneer in the painting of distinctive Canadian scenes. Jefferys had an intense interest in history and his reputation rests principally on his accurate and meticulous portrayal of early Canadian life. The best known collection of his historical sketches is "The Picture Gallery of Canadian History". Jefferys was a president of the Ontario Society of Artists and a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts.

Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Alexander Muir 1830-1906 principal of nearby Leslieville Public School who was inspired to write Canada's national song "The Maple Leaf Forever" by the falling leaves of this sturdy maple tree.

corner of Laing Street and Memory Lane, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Art Deco Bronze Doors The Art Deco bronze doors at the entranceway to this building originally graced the main entrance of the Toronto Star building at 80 King St. W. from 1929 to 1971. When the Star relocated, the doors were donated to the Royal Ontario Museum. In 1991, they were presented to the newly-renovated 357 Bay St. Building for public display.

357 Bay Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

184 Roxborough Drive Nancy Ruth (nee Jackman) - feminist, social and political activist, and philanthropist - lived at 184 Roxborough Drive, the house just east of this entrance to Chorley Park, from 1980 to 1996. Women influenced the history of the city and the nation from this house. The thinking, planning and work they did here, and the events they attended, focused on advancing the equality of women socially, economically, politically, and culturally. Women of the Ad Hoc Committee of Canadian Women on the Constitution organized at this house their successful campaign to entrench equality guarantees for women in the Constitution of Canada when it was patriated in 1982. The Ad Hoc Committee continued its work here during the campaigns against the Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords in 1987-90 and 1992. Women of the Charter of Rights Coalition here planned to influence how governments set out equality guarantees in law and to educate people on the impact of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Women gathered here to found LEAF - the Women's Legal Education and Action Fund - to support women who assert their equality rights in the courts. Women came here to found the Canadian Women's Foundation to promote the economic development of women and girls. Women worked here under the direction of constitutional lawyer Mary Eberts to support the court challenge by the Native Women's Association of Canada to the Charlottetown Accord. Women met here to go on-line, across time, by creating the CoolWomen Internet website to highlight and celebrate the contribution of women to their history and the future of Canada. Nancy Ruth founded here Nancy's Very Own Foundation, the first feminist private foundation in Canada, which provides much-needed leadership to increase philanthropic giving to women and girls. Many fundraising events were held in the house for organizations based in Toronto that had no access to other large houses. The organizations included the Canadian Voice of Women for Peace, the Canadian Women's Foundation, Casey House, the DisAbled Women's Network, Intercede for Domestic Workers, the International Institute of Concern for Public Health, LEAF, The Linden School, the National Action Committee on the Status of Women, Skywords Films, and the Toronto Institute for Human Relations. Fundraisers for women in politics included those for Susan Fish, Nancy Jackman, June Rowlands and Barbara Hall. To this house came: Moira Armour, Sally Armstrong, Denise Arsenault, Beth Atcheson, Sister Rosalie Bertell, Chandra Budhu, Mary Corkery, Catharine Devlin, Valerie Fine, Ursula Franklin, Madeleine Gilchrist, Diane Goudir, Pat Hacker, Grace Hartman, Margaret Jackson, Tamara Johnson, Dario Kiperchuk, Kay Macpherson, Catharine A. MacKinnon, Marilou McPhedran, Pamela Medjuck, Florence Minz Geneed, Eleanor Moore, Linda Palmer Nye, Romily O'Connor Perry, Judith Ramirez, Laura Sabia, Pat Staton, Beth Symes, Susan McCrae Vander Voet, Sheila Ward, Susan Woods, Jean Woodsworth, and many, many more. This plaque has been placed on a piece of Ontario granite as tough and enduring as the women it commemorates.

184 Roxborough Drive, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
139-145 Front Street East In 1867, William Davies built a two storey brick building here and established the first large meat-packing house in Toronto. J. & J. Taylor Safeworks purchased the building in 1871, and as the business flourished, added two storeys and an addition to the west and south. The buildings were renovated in 1978-80 as part of the revitalized historic St. Lawrence District.

139-145 Front Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
The Athenaeum Club 1891 Built for the Athenaeum Club, this façade was designed by the architectural firm Denison and King in a Moorish Revival style, rare in Toronto. It features intricate brickwork, several Moorish window arches, and in the balcony, a cast-iron column with an exotic capital. From 1904 to 1967, the building was the Labor Temple - a home to the local labour movement, and host to key debates in Canadian labour history.

167 Church Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
107 Wellington Street West 1889 The oldest private club building in Ontario, 107 Wellington Street West was designed for the Toronto Club in 1888-89 by Frank Darling and Samuel Curry. Its design mixes different architectural styles and marks an important transition in Darling's career. The sandstone base, terracotta details, windows and capitals on the ground floor reflect the Richardson Romanesque Style. The second floor's Palladian-like windows, pilasters and capitals, frieze, cornice mouldings and the nearly square attic windows are in the Renaissance Revival Style. The interior contains a billiards room, reading rooms, and dining rooms finished with wood paneling and carvings, stone and marble fireplaces, and plaster ceilings.

107 Wellington Street West , Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Babe Ruth in Toronto Near this site, at the old Hanlan's Point Stadium, on 5 September 1914, baseball's legendary Babe Ruth hit his first home run as a professional - the only home run he ever hit in the minor leagues. The lanky 19-year-old rookie, playing for the Providence Greys in the International League, connected with a pitch off Ellis Johnson of the Toronto Maple Leafs, sending the ball over the fence in right field and scoring three runs for his team. Ruth, as pitcher of his team, allowed only one hit and the Greys shut out Toronto 9-0. His later career made Babe Ruth a monumental figure in baseball history. This plaque commemorates both the extraordinary career of Babe Ruth and the important contribution made by Toronto to the game of baseball from "Little League" teams to the Toronto Blue Jays of the American League. [plaque removed]

Hanlan's Point ferry dock, Toronto Island, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Allan Maclean Howard House The Second Mile Club This house, now home to the Second Mile Club, was built in 1850 for A. Maclean Howard, a prominent citizen. Howard rode his horse to work along Carlton Street, then a tree lined country road bordered on the north by forests. In 1947 Arthur Davidson, the last owner to live in the house, sold it to the City of Toronto. He asked that the house be used as a senior citizens' clubhouse, which it became when the Second Mile Club began leasing it that same year. Eunice Dyke, the influential head of the City's Public Health nurses, founded The Second Mile Club in 1937 to encourage meaningful activities among the elderly. The first organization of senior citizens in Canada, the club still operates the house as a centre, one of five in the city of Toronto that continue to provide a valuable service to the elderly.

192 Carlton Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

The Ashbridge Estate This property was home to one family for two centuries. Sarah Ashbridge and her family moved here from Pennsylvania and began clearing land in 1794. Two years later they were granted 243 ha between Ashbridge's Bay and present day Danforth Avenue. The Ashbridges prospered as farmers until Toronto suburbs began surrounding their land in the 1880s. They sold all but this part of their original farm by the 1920s. Donated to the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1972, it was the family estate until 1997. As they changed from pioneers to farmers to professionals over 200 years on this property, the Ashbridges personified Ontario's development from agricultural frontier to urban industrial society.

1444 Queen Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Alexander Robert Duff April 12, 1887 - December 16, 1952 Chemical engineer, explorer, photographer and superb athlete, Alex Duff was a pioneer in coaching girls' swimming, springboard and platform diving. From 1924 he trained girls exclusively, founding the Dolphinets (Swimming and Diving) Club in 1926. Many that he coached became Canadian Champions and competed in the Olympic and British Empire Games between 1920 and 1950. He developed ornamental swimming (synchronized swimming) and was the Official Coach of the Canadian Swimming and Diving Team at the 1934 British Empire Games in London, England, and Assistant Coach to the Canadian team at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, Germany. A charter member of the Toronto Ski Club and early member of the Toronto Camera Club, he died suddenly in 1952. This building is located in part of the old "Christie Sand Pits", the beginning of a ravine system, now mostly buried. A branch of Garrison Creek, which once quenched the thirst of Fort York soldiers, passed through the ravine. In the early 1900's, this area, supplemented by fresh water springs, was a popular swimming hole for neighbourhood children.

entrance to the Alex Duff Pool in Christie Pits Park, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Professional Baseball at Hanlan's Point In 1867, Toronto's professional baseball club moved to the new Hanlan's Point Stadium - part of the larger Hanlan's Point Amusement Park on this site. Baseball and lacrosse joined other attractions here, including hotels, thrilling amusement rides, and such curiosities as a diving horse. In 1910, the baseball team, now called the Toronto Maple Leafs, replaced its wooden stadium with a concrete, 18,000-seat structure named Maple Leaf Park. The team remained there for the next 15 years, winning pennants for adoring fans in 1912, 1917, and 1918. In 1926, the club was moved to a more accessible, state-of-the-art stadium at the foot of Bathurst Street. The island stadium was eventually demolished and the site was redeveloped for the Toronto Island Airport.

Hanlan's Point ferry dock, Toronto Island, Toronto, ON, Canada

This area includes the site of Taiaiagon Iroquois Village at the foot of the Toronto Carrying Place (Le Portage de Toronto). This way passed Étienne Brûlé, first white man to see Lake Ontario, 1615; René Robert Cavelier de la Salle, explorer of the Mississippi 1680 and 1681; John Graves Simcoe, first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada, 1793. These lands now known as Baby Point were purchased by Honourable James Baby, member of the Legislative and Executive Councils, 1820.

south-west corner of Baby Point Road and Baby Point Crescent , Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
The Arena Gardens On this site, the Arena Gardens, at the time Canada's largest indoor facility, opened 7 October 1912. It became the new home of Toronto's first professional hockey team, the Toronto Arenas, later renamed the Toronto Maple Leafs. Besides hockey, other sports, including bicycle racing, curling, boxing, wrestling and tennis used the space. On 10 June 1925, the building held the inaugural service of the United Church of Canada. Remodelled to include roller skating facilities and renamed the Mutual Street Arena in 1938, it hosted the Glen Miller Band in 1942 and crooner Frank Sinatra in 1948 as well as the city's first Boat Show in 1954. The Arena was extensively remodelled in 1962 and renamed The Terrace. It was demolished in 1989.

88 Mutual Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Annesley Hall Inspired by English cottages, this woman's residence is a fine example of Queen Anne Revival architecture in Canada. A welcoming, home-like setting is conveyed through the harmony of an irregular massed composition, many bay window and dormers. This domestic grandeur was believed proper for young women students in the early 20th century. Designed by George M. Miller and completed in 1903, this early women's residence at Victoria College in the University of Toronto eloquently marks the achievement of women's access to higher education.

Charles Street West, Toronto, ON, Canada

Avenue Road Church Built in 1899 as the Presbyterian Church of the Covenant, this church was designed by architects Gordon and Helliwell. The bold use of white Kingston limestone makes the building a significant landmark. In 1925 it became the Avenue Road United Church. Known as the Stone Church during the late 1930s, it was taken over by the Church of the Nazarene in 1941, with Charles Templeton as preacher. The building was gutted by fire in 1944, but was later restored.

243 Avenue Road, Toronto, ON, Canada

The Bank of British North America On this site, in 1845, the Bank of British North America built its first branch in Toronto. The present building, designed by architect Henry Langley, replaced the original in 1875. The building later underwent several alterations, some under the direction of Burke, Horwood and White, Architects. In 1918 the Bank of British North America was incorporated into the Bank of Montreal, which retained a branch here until 1949 when the Imperial Bank purchased the building. After the Bank of Commerce and Imperial Bank merged in 1961, a branch of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce continued to operate here until 1978. Restoration and renovation work by Greymac Trust Company was completed in 1982.

49 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
The Baldwin Family Looking south, one can see Spadina Road, laid out by the Baldwin family as a grand thoroughfare from Queen Street to Davenport Road. William Baldwin (1775-1844), physician, lawyer, politician and architect built the first "Spadina" in 1818 and the second in 1835 after the earlier home was destroyed by fire. After William's death the estate passed to his son Robert Baldwin (1804-1858) one time co-premier of the united Canadas. Both men were leading political figures whose drive for peaceful change brought about major constitutional and administrative reform in government including the implementation of "responsible government" initiated by William Baldwin.

Baldwin Steps at Davenport Road and Spadina Road, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Bailey Bridge Construction 2nd Field Engineer Regiment On October 15, 1954, Hurricane Hazel struck the Scarborough area with terrifying force, severely damaging or completely washing out several bridges. To maintain a safe flow of traffic throughout the Municipality, a number of Bailey Bridges were erected by the 2nd Field Engineer Regiment of the Canadian Military Engineers. This bridge is the last of those remaining in service in Scarborough. This plaque serves to commemorate the efforts of the 2nd Field Engineer Regiment in meeting this natural disaster.

Bridge over Rouge River, Finch Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Birkbeck Building In its rich Edwardian Baroque details, classical composition, steel frame and fireproofed surfaces, the Birkbeck Building represents a transitional period of urban commercial design which combined historical style with modern technology. Built in 1908 for the Canadian Birkbeck Investment and Savings Company, this four-storey office building is typical of many small financial institutions prevalent in central business districts of Canadian cities before World War I. Designed by George W. Gouinlock, the Birkbeck Building was restored by the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1987.

10 Adelaide Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Awde St. This street was opened by the City of Toronto in 1908 and named for the Awde family, owners of this estate. Robert Awde (1838-1921) came to Canada with his family in 1868 and was for many years employed as a health inspector and later chief health inspector for the City of Toronto. He retired in 1918 after thirty-eight years of distinguished public service. In 1981, upon application by the Croatian community, the name Awde Street was changed by the City of Toronto to Croatia Street.

south-east corner of Croatia Street and Brock Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
The Beach Hebrew Institute In 1920 the Beach Hebrew Institute was established in this building. It was formerly the Kenilworth Avenue Baptist Church, built in 1895 and occupied until 1909. Later, for nine years, it was a local community centre known as Kenilworth Hall. Several years after it was acquired for a synagogue, the facade was altered under the supervision of architect W.G. Hunt to resemble more traditional 'shtibel' architectural style of small European communities, and the arched windows, parapet and entrance were added. This historic place of worship is an important part of the Beach community.

109 Kenilworth Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

The Bay Queen Street Store Department stores revolutionized shopping in the late nineteenth century by offering selection, low prices and money-back guarantees. In 1895, Robert Simpson commissioned architect Edmund Burke to design his new department store at the southwest corner of Yonge and Queen Streets. It was the first building in Canada with a load-bearing metal frame and a façade clearly patterned on this internal structure. By 1969, Simpson's department store had been enlarged six times and occupied two city blocks between Yonge, Queen, Bay and Richmond Streets. Canada's oldest corporation and largest department store retailer, Hudson's Bay Company, acquired the building in 1978. A Bay store since 1991, it remains one of Canada's great shopping landmarks.

Queen and Yonge Streets, Toronto, ON, Canada

Barbara Ann Scott Ice Rink Barbara Ann Scott became, in 1948, the first Canadian to win the Olympic Gold Medal and the World Figure Skating title. She was voted Canada's Outstanding Female Athlete on three separate occasions by the Canadian Press and was elected to Canada's Sports Hall of Fame in 1955. Named in her honor, this rink in College Park was officially opened by Barbara Ann Scott King and Mayor Art Eggleton 20 December 1983.

Behind College Park, south-west corner of Yonge and College Streets, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
The Battle of York 1813 Loyal residents of York (Toronto) were encouraged by early British victories in the War of 1812, but in 1813, they experienced first-hand the hardships of war. On the morning of April 27th, an American fleet appeared offshore and began to send 1,700 soldiers ashore two kilometres west of here. At first only a small force of Ojibwa warriors was in position to resist the landing. After fierce skirmishing the invaders advanced, overcoming defensive stands by outnumbered British and Canadian troops. As they closed in on the main garrison near here, the retreating British ignited a gunpowder storehouse. It exploded, killing 38 Americans and wounding 222 more. Victorious nonetheless, the Americans occupied York for six days. They looted and set buildings ablaze, including the Parliament Buildings.

East end of Fort York parking lot, Toronto, ON, Canada

The Bank of Upper Canada Building Chartered in 1821, the Bank of Upper Canada was, until its demise in 1866, one of British North America's leading banks. It played a significant role in the development of Upper Canada - supplying currency, protecting savings and making loans - and aided Toronto's rise as the commercial centre of the colony. This building, opened in 1827, was the second home of the bank. Its design reflects the image of conservative opulence favoured by financial institutions of the time. The portico, designed by John G. Howard, a leading architect of the period, was added about 1844.

north-east corner of Adelaide Street East and George Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

The Birthplace of Standard Time In a building which stood immediately west of this site, Sandford Fleming (1827-1915) read a paper before the Canadian Institute on February 8, 1879, outlining his concept of a worldwide, uniform system for reckoning time. This was prompted by Fleming's observation of the difficulties imposed upon east-west travellers, particularly over long distances as in North America, by arbitrary variations in local time. Circulated among the principal governments of the world, Fleming's proposal gave rise to the International Prime Meridian Conference at Washington in 1884, at which the basis of today's system of Standard Time was adopted. The Conference also endorsed Fleming's idea of a "Universal Day" or 24-hour clock.

in front of the parking garage of the building on the east side of Berti Street just north of Richmond Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Birthplace of Robert Baldwin On May 12, 1804, Canadian statesman Robert Baldwin was born in a house that stood on this site. A reluctant politician, he is recognized as the father of responsible government in Canada and as the first real premier of this province. His legacy includes the reformation of the judicial and education systems, the foundation of the non-sectarian University of Toronto and the granting, in 1849, of a general amnesty for participants in the rebellion of 1837. Robert Baldwin died on December 9, 1858.

132 Front Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Betty Sutherland Trail Betty Sutherland served thirteen years as an elected representative on North York Council until her retirement from politics in 1985. From 1979 to 1985, Mrs. Sutherland was a member of Metropolitan Toronto Council and the Metropolitan Toronto and Region Conservation Authority. Devoted to the improvement of recreational opportunities for citizens and visitors to Metropolitan Toronto, Mrs. Sutherland was Chairman of Metropolitan Toronto's Parks, Recreation and Property Committee from 1982 to 1985 and a member of the Authority's Don Valley Advisory Board from 1981 to 1984. The naming of this trail is a symbol of the significant contribution she made to Metropolitan Toronto's regional parks.

Sheppard Avenue East/Leslie Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Belmont House In 1852, a commitment to the care of others motivated a small group of women to open the Magdalen Asylum and Industrial House of Refuge for the Shelter of Homeless Women in a rented house on Richmond street. After a move to this site in 1860, a new house of refuge was constructed in 1873, followed by a second building in 1891 dedicated to the care of aged women. By 1908 elderly men were also taken in and Belmont House was built to provide facilities for even greater numbers of both men and women. The house of refuge closed in 1939 and the institution devoted itself thereafter to the care of the elderly. The three old houses were demolished in 1966 and the present Belmont House was opened in 1969 by his Excellency The Rt. Hon. Roland Michener, Governor-General Of Canada. A further addition along Davenport Road was completed in 1992.

55 Belmont Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Bell Telephone Company Building 1926 Designed in Edwardian Classical style by Montreal architect W.J. Carmichael, this building was constructed to accommodate the switching equipment, switchboard operators, and technicians needed for Bell Telephone's rapidly expanding service in this area. Prior to automated call routing, operators would direct each telephone call to its requested number. The first local phone calls were routed from a drug store in New Toronto, where a switchboard was in operation by 1914. By 1925, Bell Telephone employed 26 people in the area, and one year later, this new facility was completed on an increasingly industrial section of Birmingham Street. By 1929, fifty-two staff worked here, and handled a daily average of 13,000 phone calls in an area including Humber Bay, the Town of Mimico, the Town of New Toronto, and Long Branch. This Bell Telephone Company building was extended to the east in 1948, and continued to serve Bell until 1981.

80 Birmingham Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Canada's First Air Mail At 10:12 a.m. on June 24, 1918, Captain Brian Peck of the Royal Air Force and mechanic Corporal C.W. Mathers took off from the Bois Franc Polo Grounds in Montreal in a JN-4 Curtiss two-seater airplane. They had with them the first bag of mail to be delivered by air in Canada. Wind and rain buffetted the small plane and forced it to make refuelling stops at Kingston and Deseronto. Finally, at 4:55 p.m., Peck and Mathers landed at the Leaside Aerodrome (immediately southwest of here). The flight had been arranged by a civilian organization, the Aerial League of the British Empire, to demonstrate that aviation was the way of the future.

corner of Brentcliffe Road and Broadway Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Burwash Hall Victoria University Burwash Hall initially consisted of four houses of residence (north, middle, gate and south) for the men students of Victoria College, an adjoining dining hall, and a senior common room for faculty. Completed in 1913, these buildings were designed in the "Collegiate Gothic" style by Sproatt and Rolph, a prominent architectural firm of the period. Burwash Hall was a gift from the estate of Hart Massey who attended Victoria College in its very early years from 1842 to 1845 when the college was located in Cobourg, Ontario. as directed by Massey's executors, the complex was named after the Rev. Nathanael Burwash, STD, LL.D., chancellor and president of Victoria University from 1887 to 1913. In 1931, the same architects supervised the completion of five additional houses (Ryerson, Nelles, Caven, Gandier, and Bowles) for students of divinity at the university's Emmanuel College which had been founded just three years earlier in 1928. These additions were made possible largely through gifts from individuals and pastoral charges in the United Church of Canada. In 1988, after being closed for a year of extensive renovation and restoration work, the Burwash Dining Hall wing was reopened to serve the entire Victoria community including its women residents who had until then taken their meals in separate dining facilities.

Charles Street West, Toronto, ON, Canada

C. W. Jefferys 1869-1951 This house was the residence and studio of one of Canada's leading historical artists. Born in Rochester, England, he came to Toronto about 1880, and first worked as a lithographer's apprentice. He studied art under G.A. Reid and C.M. Manley, and was a pioneer in the painting of distinctive Canadian scenes. Jefferys had an intense interest in history and his reputation rests principally on his accurate and meticulous portrayal of early Canadian life. The best known collection of his historical sketches is "The Picture Gallery of Canadian History". Jefferys was a president of the Ontario Society of Artists and a member of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts.

4111 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Brown's Line In 1793 approximately 650 hectares of land was granted to Colonel Samuel Smith, a vast tract of forest bounded by what is now Kipling Avenue, Bloor Street, Etobicoke Creek and Lake Ontario. After his death in 1826, the Smith tract was divided into concessions and the names O'Connor, Sandford, Horner, Evans and Brown are prominent on early maps of the area. Joseph Brown emigrated from Yorkshire, England in 1831 and shortly after his arrival he became the first permanent settler, establishing a farm on Concession III, just north of what is now Evans Avenue. The dirt track leading to this farm was called "Brown's Line", a name that continues to this day.

corner of Brown's Line and Horner Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

The Cathedral Church of St. James In 1796 the first Anglican priest arrived from England to minister to the citizens of York. The following year the Province set aside this piece of land for the building of a church. The present Cathedral, the fourth church erected on this site, opened in 1853, replacing the previous structure destroyed in the Great Fire of 1849. The first Bishop of Toronto, the Right Reverend John Strachan, along with a number of his parishioners, played an important role in the early development of the city and province. Over the years, the cathedral, the Mother Church for Anglicans in the diocese of Toronto, has been a place of worship, prayer and outreach in the heart of a busy community.

Church Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Canadian Military Institute Building 1908 This is one of the few remaining early buildings on University Avenue. Across the street from the Armouries (demolished 1963), it was designed in the Beaux-Arts style for the Canadian Military Institute by Chadwick and Beckett, Architects. The facade was originally of brick and stone, with second-floor balconies (now closed in). Founded in 1890, the Institute was dedicated to the professional development of citizen Militia Officers, responsible for leading the under-funded Militia units that formed the bulk of the Canadian Army. It combined a place of collegiality with library, museum, and lecture facilities. Granted a "Royal" prefix in 1948, its membership now includes serving and retired officers, as well as interested civilians. The Canadian Military Institute Building continues to be one of Canada's leading voices concerned with issues of defence, diplomacy, and peace.

426 University Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada

Canadian National Exhibition The second half of the 19th century was an era in which technological innovation brought rapid economic progress and social change. The spirit of the age was reflected in an annual fair that first opened on this site on September 5, 1879. Staged by the Industrial Exhibition Association of Toronto, it offered medals and prize money to encourage innovation and improvement in agriculture, manufacturing and the arts. The fair quickly became a popular attraction and a boon to the local economy. A national event since 1912, the CNE continues to showcase Canadian creativity and achievement.

Dufferin Gates, Exhibition grounds, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Canadian International Air Show Human fascination with flight has made air shows popular since the early days of aviation. Toronto was the site of numerous air shows as it developed into a centre of air transportation and aircraft manufacturing in the early twentieth century. The Canadian International Air Show originated in 1946 when the National Aeronautical Association of Canada attracted overflow crowds to a show at De Havilland Airport in Downsview. Staged annually thereafter, the air show moved to Exhibition Place in 1949 and became a regular feature of the Canadian National Exhibition in 1956. Here it developed into a world class exhibition featuring diverse types of aircraft, precision and stunt flying, and aeronautical technology.

Lake Shore Blvd. West, Toronto, ON, Canada

The Canadian Bank of Commerce Building 1929-1931 Upon completion, this 34-storey skyscraper was the tallest building in the British Empire and was praised as the "greatest addition to Toronto's increasing, Manhattan-like skyline." It was designed for The Canadian Bank of Commerce jointly by the Toronto firm Darling and Pearson, and by York & Sawyer, the foremost New York City bank architects of the era. Rising in tiers, the building features richly carved Romanesque Revival detailing and a vaulted Main Banking Hall said to be modelled after Rome's Baths of Caracalla. A popular outdoor observation gallery on the 32nd floor - guarded by great carved heads with flowing beards - gave the public unobstructed city views until even taller office towers were built in the 1960s. After The Commerce merged with the Imperial Bank of Canada in 1961, the building became the head office of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.

25 King Street West, Toronto, ON, Canada

Chorley Park Chorley Park was originally the property of Toronto Alderman John Hallam, born in Chorley, Lancashire. In 1911 the garden provided the setting for Ontario's last Government House, which was designed by F.R. Heakes and built of Credit Valley stone in the French Chateau style. The house stood at the end of a curving approach from Roxborough Drive. From 1915 it was the imposing official residence for five Lieutenant-Governors, where distinguished visitors and Toronto citizens attended levees, receptions and charity balls, until closed for financial reasons in 1937. Acquired by the government of Canada, it served as a military hospital from 1940 to 1953, and later as RCMP headquarters and for Toronto Militia purposes. Chorley Park was purchased by the City of Toronto in 1960 and the building was demolished a year later when the site was developed as a public park.

245 Douglas Drive, Toronto, ON, Canada

Charles Trick Currelly 1876-1957 Born in Exeter, Huron County, this renowned archaeologist, teacher and administrator was educated locally and in Toronto. Completing his studies at Victoria College, he received his B.A. from the University of Toronto in 1898 and his M.A. in 1901. While in London, England, he met the famous Egyptologist, Flinders Petrie, and accompanied him to Egypt. His work in various parts of the Mediterranean world inspired him with the idea of establishing an archaeological museum in Ontario. With the aid of the University of Toronto, he worked toward this goal and when the Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology was created in 1912, Currelly became its first director. He retained this post, as well as a professorship in archaeology at the University, until his retirement in 1946.

Royal Ontario Museum, Queen's Park, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Chudleigh. George Lissant Beardmore, a prosperous tanner, built this house, named for his birthplace, in 1871-72, with additions and alterations by Eden Smith, Architect, in 1890. His son, George Wathen Beardmore, occupied the house until his death. In 1937 it was purchased for use as the Italian Consulate. The property was taken over by the Government of Canada in 1939, and for almost twenty years, the building served as a barracks for the R.C.M.P. In 1962 the Canadian Government gave the house to the Italian community as a training centre for immigrants and in 1977 "Chudleigh" again became Toronto's Italian Consulate.

136 Beverley Street, Toronto, ON, Canada

Chinatown The first recorded Chinese resident in Toronto was Sam Ching, who opened a business on Adelaide Street in 1878. This pioneer was joined by a growing number of Chinese, many of whom migrated eastward after they helped to build the Transcontinental Pacific Railway. By 1910 the Chinese in Toronto numbered over 1,000, largely concentrated in the Elizabeth Street area. Over the next seventy years the community grew, business increased and expanded. In the 1980s, over 100,000 people of Chinese origin reside in Metropolitan Toronto and are prominently represented in all aspects of community life. [plaque removed]

Nathan Phillips Square, Chinatown, Toronto, ON, Canada

Subjects
Church of St. Simon-the-Apostle The Anglican parish of St. Simon-the-Apostle was founded in 1883 to serve the expanding Rosedale community. The congregation first worshipped in the chapel of St. James-the-Less, Parliament Street, until this church, by architects Strickland and Symons, was completed in 1887. Five years later it was enlarged to twice its original capacity. The parish hall and first rectory, designed by architect Eden Smith, were built in 1906. St. Simon's church has served as spiritual home to many Torontonians, and its choir of men and boys has long been renowned for its excellence.

525 Bloor Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada