United Kingdom / Aberdeen

all or unphotographed
This tablet is by permission of the authorities of this university erected by churchmen of Connecticut to preserve the memory of the place in Long Acre very near this spot where on the 14th November 1784 Samuel Seabury was consecrated the first bishop of the church in America.

Marischal College Quadrangle, East Wall, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Hugh Mercer 1726-1777 Jacobite and General in the American Revolutionary War was educated in this college

Quadrangle, Marischal College, Broad Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir Alexander Robertson 1908-1990 professor of veterinary medicine studied here

Marischal College, Quadrangle, West Wall, Broad Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
On this site stood Pitmuxton House. In 1309 Pitmuxton was granted by Robert The Bruce to Hugo of Aberdeen carrying with it the royal office of Mayor of Fee collector of the King's revenues.

Ruthrieston Outdoor Centre, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Crabstone. Boundary stone of the lands belonging to John Crab, Baillie of the Burgh in 1314. The stone also marks the site of the skirmish in 1571 between the rival families of Gordon and Forbes and of an engagement in 1644 between the citizens of Aberdeen and the royalist forces of the Marquis of Montrose.

Langstane Place, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Brig o' Balgownie. This bridge, one of the oldest in Britain, was completed about 1320 supposedly at the behest of King Robert the Bruce. It has a gothic shaped arch with a clear span of some 12 metres and is built of a mixture of sandstone and granite. In 1605 it was almost totally rebuilt by the Town Council and at the same time a fund was established for its maintenance in perpetuity by Sir Alexander Hay of Whytburgh and Newton.

Brig o' Balgownie, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Thomas Reid 1710-1796 enlightenment philosopher taught at this college

The Pend of King's College Quadrangle, Old Aberdeen, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
To mark the site of the Religious House of the Knights Templars and of the Knights of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem.

Rear Wall of exterior of St Peter's Churchyard, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Alexander Cruden 1699-1770 Master of Arts, Marischal College, Compiler of the Concordance to the Bible, was born in a house in Cruden's Court near this spot

Cruden's Court, off Concert Court, Broad Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
George Washington Wilson 1823-1893 first Photographer Royal designed and lived in this house

Clydesdale Bank, 1 Queen's Cross, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir George Reid 1841-1913 artist and president of the Royal Scottish Academy lived and worked here

Gordon Highlanders Museum, Viewfield Road, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Exchequer Row. The Royal Exchequer and possibly Aberdeen's mint functioned intermittently in this area from the reign of David I (1124-1153) to James III (1460-1488). Coins issued here bore the name 'Villa Aberdon'

Exchequer Row, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Patrick Manson 1844-1922 father of tropical medicine first to show that insects carry disease attended the Gym (Chanonry House) School in this building

Cruickshank Building, Chanonry, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Francis Masson 1741-1805 botanist and explorer lived in Old Aberdeen

Cruickshank Botanical gardens, Old Aberdeen, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Victoria Bridge. Erected following the Dee Ferry Boat Disaster, which claimed the lives of 32 people on 5 April 1876. Formally opened 2 July 1881, it was partly funded by public contribution. The link provided by the bridge allowed direct access for carriages from Torry, via Market Street, to the heart of Aberdeen.

west side of Victoria Bridge, under lamp post, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
William Robertson Smith 1870-1881 semitic scholar taught here

Former Christ’s College, Alford Place, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Very Reverend David Cairns, theologian (1862-1946) taught here

Former Christ's College, Alford Place, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Correction Wynd. The House of Correction, founded in 1637 on the initiative of Provost Jaffray, stood nearby until 1711. It provided lodging and employment in the cloth industry for vagrants and delinquents.

Back Wynd, off Union Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Smith 1781-1852 first city architect designed this colonnade

St Nicholas Church Frontage, Union Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Benholm's Lodge (known as the Wallace Tower). Benholm's Lodge, a fortified dwelling house was built on this site about the year 1600 at which time it was situated some twenty yards west of the Nethergate Port one of the entries to the city. In the year 1965, through the generosity of Lord Marks, the Corporation were enabled to remove the building and re-erect it in its original form on a site in Tillydrone Road Old Aberdeen where it is preserved for posterity.

Netherkirkgate, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Harry Gordon entertainer 1893-1957 performed here

Music Hall, South Silver Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
This is the site of the Carmelite Friary excavated by the City of Aberdeen Archaeological Unit in 1981 and 1994. The Carmelites, a world-wide religious order of friars originated as hermits on Mount Carmel in Palestine. This friary was founded in 1273 and was occupied until the Reformation in 1560. It was one of the most important religious centres in Aberdeen. Marked out on the ground is part of the church. Also found was part of the west range which included a kitchen. The excavated buildings date to the 14th and 15th centuries and there was evidence of earlier timber structures. Finds included large quantities of painted and stained glass window glass, window leading, pottery, a lead water pipe, coins and a gaming die, which all added to the picture of life in this area of Aberdeen. Analysis of human skeletons provided valuable evidence about the medieval population of Aberdeen.

Car Park of Flats off Rennie's Wynd, the Green, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
On the 14th February 1862 Mother St. Basil foundress of the Congregation of the Poor Sisters of Nazareth arrived in Aberdeen along with six other sisters to make their first foundation outside Hammersmith in this house they remained until the 10th December 1872

Chapel Court off Castle St (Castlegate), Aberdeen, United Kingdom

In this house Bishop James Grant Titular Bishop of Eretria, Vicar Apostolic of the Lowland District died on the 3rd December, 1778 and Bishop John Geddes Titular Bishop of Morocco Co-Adjutor to Bishop George Hay Vicar Apostolic of the Lowland District on the 11th February, 1799. R.I.P.

Chapel Court, off Castle Street (Castlegate), Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Kirkgate Court formerly known as Farquhar's or Painter's Court. John Farquhar and David Gill painters and glaziers bought adjacent land in 1628. Farquhar and Gill's Colour Works operated until 1972.

Upperkirkgate, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
James McGrigor 1771-1858 military surgeon attended this school

Grammar School, Esslemont Avenue side, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Flour Mill Lane. The Burgh's Upper Mill, fed by the mill burn running from the Loch, stood nearby from the 13th century to 1865. The mill was an important source of revenue and was leased out to tenants who milled wheat, rye and malt.

Flour Mill Lane, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Concert Court. Aberdeen Musical Society founded in 1748 by Francis Peacock, Dancing Master and Andrew Tait, Organist held the city's first organised concerts in a nearby hall. In 1749 the Society leased a house, the New Music Room in adjacent Huxter Row. The Society came to an end in 1806.

off Broad Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Fittie Wynd. The site of Fittie Port at the head of Fittie Wynd. This marked the medieval boundary between the Burgh of Aberdeen and the fishing community of Fittie. Burgh Officials locked and guarded the gates in times of plague, pestilence and peril. The Port was demolished in the 18th century.

Castlegate, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

On the school hill stood the Grammar School of Aberdeen for over six centuries. This stone marks the site of the school from 1757 to 1863 when the present building in Skene Street was erected

Robert Gordon's College, Schoolhill, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Drum's Lane on the site of Lady Drum's Hospital. In 1633 Marion Douglas, Lady Drum, mortified a sum of 3,000 merks for a commodious house for poor widows and aged virgins. Building began in 1671. By 1721 the house also accommodated daughters of Burgesses of Guild. The area was redeveloped and Drum's Lane laid out in 1798.

Upperkirkgate, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Edward Raban 1579-1658 Aberdeen's first printer is buried in this churchyard

St Nicholas Churchyard, East Wall, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Francis Peacock 1723-1807 father of Scottish country dancing lived and taught nearby

Peacock’s Close, Castle Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Bannerman's Bridge. The old bridge which stood here from 1768 was replaced by Grampian Regional Council in 1984 as part of the Aberdeen inner relief road

Marischal Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Brebner's Court also known as Bremner's Court and formerly known as Birnie's Close. Andrew J. Birnie owned adjacent land in 1786. Alexander Brebner of Learney, Provost of Aberdeen (1805-1811) bought land nearby in 1804.

Castlegate, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Back Wynd. This street is laid out on part of a croft which belonged to William Dunbar in 1374 and to the Blackfriars from 1398-1560. However the street itself was not formally laid out to houses until 1594. In the 17th century Back Wynd was known as Aedie's Wynd. Before the construction of Union Street Back Wynd provided access to and from the Green.

Back Wynd side of Screen in front of St Nicholas Churchyard, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

James Gibbs architect (1682-1754) designed this church

West St Nicholas Church, West Wall, Union Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Guestrow. A name unique to Aberdeen, but its origin is obscure. Some suggest that 'Ghaistraw' means street of spirits or ghosts. In the 17th century Ghaistrow had a number of lodging houses, the Episcopalian meeting house and Provost Skene's fine stone dwelling which stands today. Much of Guestrow, including Quaker Court, was demolished in the city's slum clearance schemes.

off Broad Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Theatre Lane. In 1795 the Theatre Royal, seating 600, was created in Marischal Street by Stephen Kemble, brother of the actor John Philip Kemble. Eminent performers included Charles Macready and Charles Keen. The theatre flourished until 1872 when it was replaced by Her Majesty's Opera House, later the Tivoli, in Guild Street.

Theatre Lane, Virginia Street end, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Poultry Market Lane. In 1631 a Flesh Market was established here. A Poultry Market and access lane joining Castle Street with Queen Street were laid out in 1809. In 1846 the Meal Market was moved from a nearby site to here. More recent uses of the site included a Bleaching Green and an Artillery Drill Shed.

West wall Aberdeen Arts Centre, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir Alexander Anderson Lord Provost. Patrick Cooper esqr. Master of Shore-Works

North Pier, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
George Milne Fraser 1862-1938 city librarian and local historian worked here

Central Library, Rosemount Viaduct, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Harry Gordon, "The Laird of Inversnecky"

Guild Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
John James Rickard MacLeod 1876-1935 co-discoverer of insulin and Nobel Prize Winner lived here

32 Cairn Road, Cults, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Thomas Fraser 1872-1951 medical scientist worked in this building

16 Albyn Place, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
James Matthews 1820-1898 architect and Lord Provost lived here

15 Albyn Terrace, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
James McBey 1883-1959 artist lived in this building

42 Union Grove, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Glover House. In recognition of the great contribution made by Mr. Thomas Blake Glover during the late 19th century to the foundation of modern Japanese industry, we donate this house to the Grampian-Japan Trust.

Glover House, Balgownie Road, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
William Jackson 1849-1915 engineer and inventor lived here

Thorngrove, 500 Great Western Road, Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Subjects
Adelphi Court. Known as 'The Adelphi' meaning brothers in Greek, the court was named after John and Robert Adam who designed the Adelphi off the Strand, London. The lane was laid out on the crest of St Katherine's Hill in the early 19th century.

off Union Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom