United Kingdom / Christchurch

all or unphotographed
Originally constructed in 1746 in the Market Place at the junction with the High Street and Castle Street The Town Hall was rebuilt on this site in 1860 by public subscription generously supported by the Borough's MP, Admiral John Edward Walcott of Winkton Lodge

The Town Hall, Saxon Square, High Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
Issued to celebrate Nine Hundred years of Norman Heritage. This community is recorded in the Domesday Book 1086 Domesday 1086 - 1986

The Town Hall, Saxon Square, High Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

18th century brewer's house. An extensive brewery complex operated behind it on the site of the present car park. BOW HOUSE was also the home in the early 20th century of Hart's Museum, a famous collection of thousands of stuffed birds and other animals

Bow House, High Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
At the entrance to the town at this point stood the ancient stone gatehouse known as THE BARGATE thought to date from the 12th century, which straddled and constricted the High Street, and was removed c. 1744 by order of the Mayor

Bath Travel, 4 High Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
To commemorate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee 2nd June 2012

The Town Hall, Saxon Square, High Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

In 1714 a house and shop on this site, with a farm and other land, were left by John Clingan, a mercer, in trust, leading to the establishment in 1736 of CLINGAN'S TRUST to benefit the 'poor of the parish'. The income from the trust continues to assist young people in their advancement in life

Bookends, 67 High Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
Christchurch Market held in the High Street from about 1150 to 1871 was re-opened here on the 31st May 1976 by the Mayor of Christchurch Councillor Eric N. Spreadbury

The Town Hall, Saxon Square, High Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
On this site from medieval times until demolition in 1788, stood the first recorded Town Hall, known as THE OLD TOLSEY or Market Toll House, used by the Old Corporation until a new Town Hall was built in the Market Place, probably in the 15th century

Millhams Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
On this site stood the house, and at the rear, the fusee watch chain workshop, of ROBERT HARVEY COX 1754-1815 who introduced the industry to the town in the 1790s. The manufacture which used factory, cottage and workhouse labour, continued in the town until 1914

Superdrug, 50 High Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
First referred to in the records as 'St George' in 1630 and now the oldest surviving inn in the town, The George Inn or George and Dragon stands opposite the former Market Place with its Town Hall and prison, shops, shambles, pillory and market cross

Ye Olde George Inn, Market Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
17th-century mercer's house with 18th-century frontage. Later the home of the talented Ferrey family, including George, Priory organist for 50 years, brother of BENJAMIN FERREY 1810-1880 renowned ecclesiastical architect trained by Pugin the Elder, and Hon. Architect to Bath & Wells Diocese for 39 years

Pettengells, 6 Castle Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
Medieval Borough-owned property dating in parts from the 13th century. By the 19th century it had become known as THE OLD COURT HOUSE as a back room was used to elect the Mayor, Constables, Hayward, Bailiff and Aletaster. The original Court House over the Castle gateway was taken down in 1888

The New Forest Perfumery, Castle Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
In the Saxon period the adjacent site was occupied by the Church of the Holy Trinity. Between the 11th and 16th centuries evolved the present PRIORY CHURCH The Court House for the Priory Manor of Christchurch Twyneham stood beyond this wall until the late 19th century

Priory Church, Church Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
This garden was opened in 1951 was paid for by Mr Harold W Mooring Aldridge M. A. out of a legacy from Miss Charlotte Druitt sister of Herbert Druitt

Red House Museum & Gardens, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Graham Robertson Room In commemoration of W. Graham Robertson 1866 - 1948 Painter Poet Playwright

Red House Museum, Quay Road, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
According to 'The Smugglers of Christchurch' by E.R. Oakley this structure was a mausoleum of a certain Mrs. Perkins who died in 1783. This lady had a horror of being buried alive and requested that her body should not be interred, but that a fabric should be erected to receive it near the entrance to the free school then in St. Michael's Loft of the Priory. So that the boys should hear if she revived, she also requested that the lid of the coffin should not be screwed down, and the lock of the mausoleum constructed so as to enable her to open it in the spring. These wishes were carried out, but when her husband died in 1803 her body was removed. The structure sold and re-erected on this present site.

Former mausoleum - Priory Gardens, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
Town Quay Shelter was officially opened by his worship the Mayor Councillor Colin Bungley J.P. on the 21st December 1992 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II

Town Quay Shelter, The Quay, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086 valued at 30s at year, being the property of the Canons of the Holy Trinity Church, PLACE MILL has medieval stonework and Tudor and 18th century brickwork, and was used for both fulling (cleaning and thickening cloth) and corn grinding until 1908

Place Mill, The Quay, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
Visible beyond this entrance way, at the terminus for the trolleybuses which replaced the trams in 1936, is the TROLLEY BUS TURNTABLE which enabled the buses to return to Bournemouth and is believed to be the only one left in the country

Wick Lane, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
Ye Olde George Inn. Princess Victoria, who later became our queen, rested her carriage horses here at the end of the yard, whilst visiting the priory opposite. When alterations were made in 1974, a local mystery was solved. It was not known what happened to the iron stone which was ransacked by Oliver Cromwell. When builders unearthed arts of the inn footings they discovered the foundations are iron stone which must have been carried across the moat to the inn.

2A Castle Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
Below can be seen the original barred window (since bricked up) where wretched prisoners waited for the emerald coach to take them to the ancient port of Poole to be deported to the Australian continent.

2A Castle Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Convent Walk. This footpath was opened on 22nd June 1911 by the Mayor of Christchurch, Mr Robert Druitt, to commemorate the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary. The nearby Coronation Oak was planted as a sapling by the Mayoress. This plaque was erected to commemorate the centenary on 22nd June 2011.

Convent Walk, Mill Stream, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
Priory House, built c. 1776 on the site of the monastic ruins by a former Governor of the Bank of England, Fellow of the Royal Society and Trustee of the British Museum, Gustavus Brander 1720-1787 who was also Lord of the Manor of Christchurch Twyneham. His will provided for the first organ for the Priory Church

Wall in front of Priory House, Priory Gardens, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects
Erected next to an earlier barn used as a poorhouse, this building was built in 1764 by the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor as THE PARISH WORKHOUSE. When Christchurch combined with Holdenhurst and Sopley parishes in 1835 it became the Union Workhouse and remained in use until 1885.

Quay Street, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Founder of the Red House Museum Herbert Druitt 1876 - 1943

Red House Museum, Quay Road, Christchurch, United Kingdom

Subjects