United Kingdom / Durham

all or unphotographed
Moatside Lane. Mediaeval pilgrim's route to the Cathedral.

Moatside Lane, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Dame Elizabeth Bowes 1688-1737 [full inscription unknown]

St John’s College, Durham University, Durham, United Kingdom

Home of John Meade Falkner (1858-1932) bibliophile and author

Windy Gap, off Palace Green, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Bishop Cosin's Almshouses 1666 replacing Bishop Langley's Song and Grammar Schools 1414.

The Alms Houses, Palace Green, Durham, United Kingdom

Site of the North Gate between Bailey and City. Rebuilt 1420 Removed 1820, former County Gaol.

51 Saddler Street, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
This vennel known as Drury Lane the site of a theatre 1771-1791

43 Drury Lane, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
City of Durham. This superstructure stood on the original site of the ancient Fram Well Head at a spot approximately 165 yards to the north north-east now marked by a cairn. The inscription below was found on a tablet within the superstructure upon its removal to the present site in 1959. This spring was given for the use of the inhabitants of the city of Durham for ever by Thomas Billingham, esq., by deed dated the 14th March, 1450 with leave to convey the water by pipes to the Pant in the Market Place which grant was confirmed by a decree of the Court of Chancery in Durham on the 30th March, 1633. The reservoir having become delapidated was rebuilt on the site and in the style of the original erection by public subscription in the year 1847. Joseph Holmes, Robert Robson; Pant Masters.

Framwelgate, Durham, United Kingdom

Site of the Clayport Gate in the City Wall. Removed 1791

Silver Street/Walkergate, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
56 Claypath. James Finlay Weir Johnston applied scientist and scholar lived here 1826-55. From his bequest was founded the Durham Johnston School.

56 Claypath, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
County Court House on this site 1588-1811 rebuilt as Diocesan Registry 1822 passed to Union Society 1935 and to University Library 1978

Old Registry, Palace Green, Durham, United Kingdom

Former Exchequer and Chancery of The Palatinate. Built for Bishop Neville (1438-57)

University Library, Palace Green, Durham, United Kingdom

To the glory of God and in loving memory of Philip Arwas Mus. Doc. Oxon. for forty five years Organist of this Cathedral Church and first Professor of Music in the University of Durham. Entered into rest Feb 10 1908 aged 71.

Durham Cathedral, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Remember in these cloisters which were finished in his day John Washington of Washington in this County Prior of this Cathedral Church 1416-1446 whose family has won an everlasting name in lands to him unknown

Durham Cathedral Cloisters, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
In Memoriam Arthur Blackwell Goulburn Lillingston Residentiary Canon of this Cathedral 1914-1942 Sub-Dean 1927-1942 and Canon Emeritus 1942-1943. Born 12 Nov. 1864 Died 20 Apr. 1943

Durham Cathedral Cloisters, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of the Chapel of St. Andrew. Present building 17th C.

Elvet Bridge, Durham, United Kingdom

The Revd William Greenwell DCL, FSA, FRS Antiquarian & Minor Canon 1820-1918 lived here

27 North Bailey, Durham, United Kingdom

Elvet Bridge This bridge was built by Hugh Puiset (Bishop of Durham 1153-1195) as the second river crossing for the City. The bridge has 14 arches but only 10 are now visible. Originally 5 metres wide it was widened up stream in 1805 to 9.5 metres. At the south-east end of the bridge fragments of the original 12th century bridge and the Chapel of St. Andrews are visible. At the west end was the Chapel of St. James and the House of Correction. The Carriageway was resurfaced in sandstone by the City Council in 1978.

Elvet Bridge, Durham, United Kingdom

This pub was originally called The City Tavern. A series of events since 1850 ensued (sic) the popularity of this pub. This is the story. In 1851 an Act of Parliament allowed meat, fish and poultry to be traded in the market place so that the area became the focal point of the city. In 1853 the Council Committee of Durham declared the water in the market place unfit for human consumption so that customers could only quench their thirst from the excellent ales served in this public house. In 1865 The City Tavern was re-named The Market Hotel and it grew even more popular in 1871 when The Durham Miners Association was formed here. The Market Hotel became so successful that by 1940 it was the only remaining pub in the market place. Today The Market Tavern is maintaining it's (sic) tradition as a very popular place to sample the finest selection of the nation's ales.

27 Market Place, Durham, United Kingdom

Bishop Cosin's Library 1669 entrusted to the university 1935

University Library, Palace Green, Durham, United Kingdom

University of Durham opened the Hostel for Women Students later St Mary's College on this site in April 1899.

, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir Ove Arup (1895-1988), academician, champion of "Total Architecture" and doyen of 20th century structural engineers. He personally designed every detail of Kingsgate Bridge (1963), and was the structural engineer and architectural advisor for Dunelm House (1965). This composite resin bust is a replica of an original portrait head by Diana Brandenburger (1987)

New Elvet, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Gilesgate Station. This building was constructed as the station terminus of Durham City's first railway line which branched from the first main line south at Belmont Junction and which opened for goods traffic on 15th April 1844. The introduction of a passenger service on 19th June followed the highly acclaimed main line opening of the previous day. The station lost its passenger status in 1857 when the present main line station opened, and finally closed on 7th November 1966. The line was obliterated when work began on 1967 on the A690 dual carriageway linking Durham with the A1(M) at Carrville.

Station Lane, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Cathedral Grammar School 1661-1844.

Durham University Dept. of Music, Palace Green, Durham, United Kingdom

Subjects