United Kingdom / Exeter

all or unphotographed
Rougemont House and Gardens John Patch (1723-87) Exeter surgeon, built this house & created a garden from the moat of Rougemont Castle. Altered to its present Regency style in 1810 by Edmond Granger, cloth manufacturer. Purchased in 1911 by Exeter City Council.

Castle Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Trafalgar Way Exeter - 7th Post-horse Change On Monday 21st October 1805 the Royal Navy decisively defeated a combined French and Spanish fleet off Cape Trafalgar on the south west coast of Spain. This victory permanently removed the threat of invasion of England by the armies of Napoleon Bonaparte. The first official dispatches with the momentous news of the victory, and the death in action of Vice Admiral Lord Nelson, were carried to England on board H.M. Schooner Pickle by her captain, Lieutenant John Richards Lapenotiere. Lapenotiere landed at Falmouth on Monday 4th November 1805 and set out "express by post-chaise" for London, following what is now The Trafalgar Way. He took some 37 hours to cover the 271 mile journey, changing horses 21 times. The 7th such change was made at Exeter very early on 5th November at a cost of one pound seventeen shillings and sixpence. Lapenotiere delivered his dispatches to the Admiralty at 1a.m on Wednesday 6th November. The news was at once passed to the Prime Minister and the King, and special editions of newspapers were published later the same day to inform the nation. Erected by Exeter City Council on 17th August 2005 to inaugurate The Trafalgar Way from Falmouth to London and to honour the men of Exter who fought for their country at Trafalgar.

, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Hughes of Exeter. On the site of their former premises destroyed in enemy action 1942

, Exeter, United Kingdom

May the Exeter racing pigeon awarded the Dickin Medal (animal VC for gallantry) For Outstanding Service between Occupied France & England 1940-1945 owned by Charles Brewer, shoemaker, Exeter. (One of only 32 pigeons to receive Dickin Medal)

6 West Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

This building was formerly the home of Mount Radford School. This plaque is erected by the Old Radforians' Association in appreciation of the headmasters E. H. Vine MA 1868-1900 W. E. Vine MA 1900-1912 T. E. Vine MA 1912-1957 A. J. Greenaway 1957-1967

St Leonards Rd, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Elsie Knocker, Baroness De T'Serclaes 1884-1978 Nurse and ambulance driver on the front line in Pervyse with Mairi Chisholm 1914-1918 born here 29 July 1884

1 Barnfield Crescent, Exeter, United Kingdom

Michael Whieldon aka Mick Voo 1964-2015 Musician, artist & wit loved to gig & meet friends here

50 New N Rd, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Lieutenant Richard Douglas Sandford VC [full inscription unknown]

15 Cathedral Close, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
A Dominican convent occupied the site of this Circus A.D. 1259. In 1539 it was granted to John Lord Russell who converted it into Bedford House where in 1644 was born Princess Henrietta, daughter of King Charles I. In 1773 it was removed and the erection of the present circus commenced.

Debenhams, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
St. Lawrence Church Here stood, from medieval times until the air-raid of 1942, the Church of St. Lawrence. This section of the High Street was rebuilt from 1950.

242 High Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
W. G. Hoskins CBE FBA D.Litt 1908-1992 Historian of Devon, Exeter and the English landscape born here 'Hic amor, haec patria est'

26-28 St David's Hill, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Tuckers' Hall Belonging to the Guild of Weavers Fullers & Shearmen Incorporated in 1490

140 Fore St, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
This plaque commemorates stage and screen stars Violet and Irene Vanbrugh. Violet (1867-1942) was born in a house near this site, her sister Dame Irene (1872-1949) at Heavitree Vicarage.

on the walkway between Roman Walk and Southernhay, near the Exeter Blitz Memorial, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
The City Wall Built by the Romans about 200 A.D., since repaired by others. Much of the City Wall still stands, some of it of original Roman workmanship. 1977 Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee

Southernhay Way / Cathedral Close, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of West Gate. Successfully defended against the rebel attacks in 1549, William Prince of Orange with his army entered the city in 1688 through this gate which was removed in 1815.

West Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Doctor Peter Hennis Behind this wall is the restored grave of Peter Hennis a much admired and revered physician and the hero of the Exeter cholera outbreak of 1832. He died following a duel on Haldon Racecourse in 1833.

Sidwell Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of South Gate King Henry VI here entered the city 16 July 1452. For centuries a prison. Demolished 1819.

South Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Demarcated on the pavement to the right of this notice is the foundation of the Roman Gate Tower flanking the South Gate to the City. The gate was rebuilt in medieval times and then used as a debtors prison. It was demolished in A.D. 1819.

South Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

In memory of The Revd Theodore Bayley Hardy VC DSO MC Chaplain to the King Born 20th October 1863 Barnfield House Died of wounds 18th October 1918 Rouen aged 54 "A Gallant Christian Soldier" and "Army Chaplain"

Barnfield Road, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Parliament Street <--- believed to be the narrowest street in the world width 25" increasing to 45"

Parliament Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Beneath this Close, the ancient heart of Exeter, lie the remains of the Church of St. Mary Major and the Saxon Minster, the Roman Basilica and the military bath house of the 2nd Augustan Legion

Cathedral grounds, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Sisters lived here 1866-1966

Carpenter Close, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
The City Wall Built by the Romans about 200A.D., since repaired by others. Much of the City Wall still stands, some of it of original Roman workmanship.

near Cathedral, Exeter, United Kingdom

In memory of Tommy Cooper a great British comedian 1922-1984 former pupil of Mount Radford School Exeter

Mount Radford School for boys, 56 St Leonards Road, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Gandy Street was the childhood home of both Colonel David Collins RM first Judge Advocate of New South Wales (1788-96) and first Lieut. Governor of Tasmania (1804-10) and George P. Harris first Deputy Surveyor General of Tasmania (1804-10) and previously with Col. Collins at Port Phillip.

Britannia Building Society, Gandy Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Fairpark, Residence 1885–1916 of Harry Hems, born 1842, died 1916, ecclesiastical sculptor

82 Longbrook Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Thomas Benet [full inscription unknown]

Exeter Protestant Martyrs’ Memorial, junction of Barnfield Road and Denmark Road, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Charles Dickens, 1812-1870, Novelist, stayed here, the home and printworks of Thomas Latimer, 1803-1888, campaigning journalist.

143 Fore Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
George Oliver, Catholic priest, created Doctor of Divinity by Pope Gregory XVI 1844, lived here 1807–1861 & rests near this spot. To commemorate his lifelong services to his fellow citizens in history, literature, benevolence and pastoral zeal.

21 The Mint, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Richard Ford (1796–1858) Author and traveller lived in Heavitree House on this site

Junction of Meadow Way and Church Street, Heavitree, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
9 Park Place, childhood home of William Kingdon Clifford, born May 1845, died March 1879, mathematician and philosopher

9 Park Place, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Carpenter Close (St Wilfred's) These buildings, derelict for a decade, were redeveloped by Exeter City Council Radford Cruse Aggett Architects L.Aggett RIBA Designer

Carpenter Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
James Green Civil Engineer 1781 - 1849 Devon's First County Surveyor Built and Lived in this Property

New North Road, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Rougemont Castle. This gatehouse was built by William the Conqueror soon after 1066 as part of the Norman castle of Rougemont

Castle Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Long Brooke crossed this road some seventy feet sovth-west. The wooden footbridge which spanned it, was removed when the river was arched over A.D 1832. William the Conqveror and his troops, waded its water intent vpon besieging ovr city. A.D. 1069. Harry Hems

86 Longbrook Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Old White Hart The White Hart is one of the city's most ancient inns. It is scheduled as a building of historic interest, and is officially listed by the City of Exeter under the heading "places of interest," parts of the existing building date back to the VIVth. century Davy's 1870

66 South St, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Franz Liszt 1811-1886 Hungarian pianist and composer gave two recitals here on successive days in August 1840

Royal Clarence Hotel, Cathedral Yard, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
To the west of the Cathedral lie buried the remains of the bathhouse of the Roman Second Augustan Legion built c. AD60, replaced c. AD 80 by the basilica and forum of the new town Isca Dumnoniorum, which remained until the 5th century. An Anglo-Saxon minster stood here from the 7th century, elevated to cathedral status in 1050.

near cathedral, Exeter, United Kingdom

Mile End Cottage Here lived the parents of Charles Dickens 1812-1870

Church Road, Alphington, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Entertainer Tommy Cooper lived here 1925-19??

3 Fords Road, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Rougemont Grounds These grounds, which are situate mainly in the Precinct of Bradninch, were purchased by the Exeter City Council on 1912, and were opened to the public by the Right Worshipful the Mayor of Exeter (G.J. Vlieland. Esq.MD) on the 2nd April in that year. Originally the ditch of Rougemont Castle the grounds formed part of the estate of the Duchy of Cornwall from A.D. 1337 to A.D. 1798

Castle Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
143 Fore Street 18th Century Merchants House Built in 1714 by Sir Thomas Bury, merchant: sold to Sir John Duntze (also a merchant) in 1733 and lived in by his family until 1788. In the 19th century it became the offices of the 'Western Times' which was printed in the adjacent buildings. Charles Dickens, who was a personal friend of Thomas Latimer, the paper's proprietor and editor, stayed here in 1839.

143 Fore Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Here stood from very early times the Parish Church of All Hallows Omnium Sanctorum in Aurifabria. At the time of the Commonwealth it was confiscated but it was purchased and restored to the parishioners by Dr Robert Vilvaine whose father, mother and wife were buried in the church. It was taken down in 1906 and the site sold to the City Council. The human remains and many old gravestones were removed to the higher cemetery & the furniture & monuments were placed in the Church of St. Pancras

Queen Street / High Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Devon Witches. In memory of Temperance Lloyd, Susannah Edwards, Mary Trembles of Bideford died 1682, Alice Molland died 1685. The last people in England to be executed for witchcraft, tried here & hanged at Heavitree. In the hope of an end to persecution & intolerance

Castle Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
This statue of a blue boy stood in the courtyard of Saint John's hospital school founded on this site as a bluecoat school by the chamber of Exeter, A.D. 1636 in the dissolved mediaeval hospital of Saint John the Baptist. The school continued until 1931 in the new buildings erected in 1859 which were destroyed by enemy action on May 4th 1942

Princesshay Way, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Graves Simcoe 1752 – 1806. The first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada, present day Ontario, John Graves Simcoe was Born in Cotterstock, Northamptonshire, and attended Exeter Free Grammar School in his early youth. He entered the Army in 1770 and commanded a regiment in the American revolution. During his active administration of Upper Canada, 1791-96, Simcoe laid the foundation for the province’s orderly growth and development. He died in a house on this site and is buried at Wolford Chapel, Dunkerswell, near Honiton. Erected with the assistance of the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Citizenship and Culture, Ontario and Canada.

on the wall between 12 and 14 Cathedral Close, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
F. J. Widgery 1861-1942 Landscape painter and Freeman of Exeter lived here 1891-1940

11 Howell Road, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Prospect Steps and Watergate Path These steps formed part of an ancient right of way from Southernhay down to the Elizabethan Exeter Quay. The present steps date from 1835 when the adjacent warehouse was built. The kind assistance of the Devon County Council Environment and Countryside Committee enabled the Exeter Canal and Quay Trust to renovate and upgrade the walkway in December 1990

The Quay, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
Exeter Bank. Sanders & Co established 1769. City Bank Milford Snow & Co established 1786 Sanders Snow & Co 1901 joined Prescott Dimsdale & Co Ltd 1902 The Union of London & Smiths Bank Ltd 1903

High St, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Dean and Chapter of Exeter in 1394–5 built a house on this site in which John Shillingford, a notable mayor, resided from 1423 to 1458. From 1543 to 1554 John Bodley, merchant, lived there and it is accepted that it was the birthplace of his son, Sir Thomas Bodley, founder of the Bodleian Library, Oxford, who was born in Exeter on 2nd March 1544.

Corner of Gandy Street and High Street, Exeter, United Kingdom

Subjects