United Kingdom / Farnham

all or unphotographed
Upon this site stood the Senior Department of the Royal Military College from 1814 until 1820, after its establishment at High Wycombe in 1799. and receiving the Royal Warrant in 1801. After its transfer to Sandhurst in 1820, it became the Staff College in 1858 as a separate institution.

West Street (corner of College Gardens), Farnham, United Kingdom

Nigel Temple 1926-2003 Author, artist and local historian lived here 1928-1955

61 West Street, Farnham, United Kingdom

Charles I stayed here on the night of 20 December 1648

28 West Street, Farnham, United Kingdom

HRH The Duchess of Gloucester visited The Victoria Garden on 6 October 1998 to commemorate the centenary of the opening of the Farnham Swimming baths in 1898

Victoria Gardens, Brightwell's Road, Farnham, United Kingdom

St Andrew's Parish Church. The Parish Church of St. Andrew's is one of the largest churches in Surrey, A Saxon church almost certainly stood on the existing site for some 500 years before the present buiding ws begun in the 12th century, encouraged by the Bishop of Winchester, Henri de Blois, grandson of William the Conqueror. Christians have worshipped at this site for 1,300 years. The church is open daily from dawn to dusk. Visitors are always welcome.

Upper Church Lane, Farnham, United Kingdom

The old court house was erected on this site in 1888 and was originally used as Farnham Police Station

The Old Court House, Union Road, Farnham, United Kingdom

This building was specifically designed for the Liberal Club in 1894 by the Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944). It was his first complete Georgian building and was built with a mortgage provided by Arthur Chapman of Crooksbury, Chairman of the Farnham Liberals.

South Street, Farnham, United Kingdom

These almshouses were erected by Andrew Windsor Esq. in 1619 for the habitation and relief of eight poor honest old impotent persons.

56 Castle Street, Farnham, United Kingdom

10 Castle Street was built in the early 18th century by Thomas Piggott, a London grocer. It is constructed on the site of the Corn Rooms, a group of buildings, used either for storage, marketing, or the exchange of corn.

10 Castle Street, Farnham, United Kingdom

Two Minute Silence. In this place, on 10th May 1916, what is thought to be the world's first two minute silence was observed prior to an agricultural fair and May day fair organised to raise funds for the British Red Cross. At 11.00am all those gathered paused for two minutes as a token of respect to the memory of those who had fallen during the war, to the wounded, to the prisoners and to those who were fighting for their country.

75 Castle Street, Farnham, United Kingdom

Harold Falkner (1875-1963) architect, lived and practised here from 1897 to 1963. His life's work was devoted to Farnham and he had a profound influence on the architectural style of the town centre in the first half of the 20th century.

West Street, Farnham, United Kingdom

Subjects
In front of this building on the cobbled area, once stood a timber-framed market house. It was erected in 1566 and demolished in 1866. It was used initially for grain transactions, then later as a jail.

Town Hall Buildings, Castle Street, Farnham, United Kingdom

John Henry Knight's car, one of Britain's earliest petrol driven vehicles, was build here by George Parfitt at the Elliot reliance works 1895

West Street, Farnham, United Kingdom

Subjects
The greatest timber framed roof in Europe. The massive carved frames for the Roof of the Great Hall in the Palace of Westminster were made in Farnham not far from this spot, and sent to London in the summer of 1395.

, Farnham, United Kingdom

The remains of both a Roman bath and villa, circa 250AD were discovered near this spot in 1946. German prisoners-of-war billeted locally excavated the site in 1946/47.

Roman Way, Farnham, United Kingdom

Rowledge House 1942-1945 A Jewish Bachad hostel was established here in 1942 by Shalom & Edie Markovitch for the 32 evacuee, refugee and Kindertransport children

, Farnham, United Kingdom