EGGERSLACK TERRACE The name "Eggerslack" comes from the Norse words "Egger" meaning "bore" and "slack" meaning "height of". Scandinavian settlers came to this area in the 9th and 10th centuries but evidence of mankind has been found a short distance away in the form of flint and bone which dates back 15,000 years. Before railways opened fast tides used to sweep up Windermere Road so Slack Cottage, the first dwelling established here, was built at the highest sea water line. Some of Grange's oldest houses erected on this terrace belonged to local fishermen. The Walker family owned a busy smithy nearby at a time when country roads quickly wore down horseshoes.
Windermere Road, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Picklefoot Spring. "Picklefoot" takes its name from walnut pickers who lived in Main Street and is both a natural spring, and site of Grange's most productive well with approximately 60 gallons of water per minute flowing into the duck pond. Records show that this spring has never run dry. In 1945 a serious drought affected Grange when its main reservoir emptied, an event that led to the erection of a pumping station nearby to supply townsfolk with water. Picklefoot lived up to its reputation and continued to flow. There are other wells in Grange, some were used by certain households who had deeds to prove their water rights.
Ornamental Garden, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Bandstand in the Park. The bandstand was a gift to the people of Grange from Harold Porritt JP, the director of a textile factory in Helmshore, Lancashire, who came to the town in 1895. Originally sited on the promenade, this structure was eventually moved here because ladies made a protest to the council a delicate matter of soot from the steam trains ruining their clothes whilst they listened to band music. Mr Porritt also established the "Tea Rooms" on the promenade.
Park Road Gardens, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
The Station House John Brough's farmhouse preceded all other buildings on this site. Residents of Grange came here in Victorian times to buy their milk and other dairy products. By 1866 under an act of Parliament during the great Queen's reign, this structure was converted into a "Station House with strongroom for the temporary confinement of persons taken into custody by the Constables". Deeds relevant to these premises show that it was in fact Grange's first Police Station. Remnants of old cells remain behind the house. An inscription date "ISI 1684" can be seen above, but is of dubious origin
The Station House, Main Street, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Grange Railway Station built in 1872 is thought to be a replica of the top storey of Grange Hotel. James Brunlees designed and constructed two viaducts to cross the Kent and Leven estuaries, a breathtaking feat of Victorian engineering. Contractor John Brogden who lived nearby at Holme Island completed the Ulverston-Lancaster Railway in 1857. A local newspaper, the Ulverstone Advertiser, wrote in 1852 "... when the Railway is completed and medicinal virtues of Holywell Spa are taken into consideration, this place will doubtless become a favourite resort both as a sea-bathing and watering place."
Lindale Road, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Clock Tower. At midday on 4th December 1912, Mrs Sophia Deardon, a local benefactor, presented this clock tower to Grange. A previous construction had been removed to make way for an extension to St Paul's Church. Materials used to construct the tower include local limestone and sandstone from St. Bees in Cumberland. Mrs Deardon also donated woodland around Yewbarrow Cragg to Grange as a recreational facility for local people.
Bay Villa. The first part of Bay Villa was built about 1820 for Robert Wright on a site where dwellings had existed since 1716. Francis Webster, an architect of some distinction, designed the property. In 1841 the house came up for sale described thus: "Bay Villa: usual rooms: six bedrooms, two servants rooms, water closet, conservatory and two pews, one in Lindale Chapel for five and one in Cartmel Priory for six." An extension was completed after 1860 "with coach-house, tower and gazebo" by owner Dr Beardsley, a civic notary. Bay Villa was used as a public library until 1968 and as a meeting place for Plymouth Brethren.
The Normandy Veterans Memorial Gardens. This area known as "Sunken Gardens"is thought to be the most historic place in Grange-over-sands. Grange is thought to take its name from a French word "graunge" meaning "granary", an example of which was probably built here by black-robed Augustinian Canons of Cartmel Priory, a 12th century religious house endowed by William Marshall. Until the dissolution of England's monasteries in 1536, Priors of Cartmel imported supplies into the "graunge" through a harbour once sited close to the present Commodore Hotel. During "setting out" of these gardens in 1925, Mr Benson, a landscaper discovered foundations of a large barn.
The Victoria Hall was officially opened on 1 January 1901 to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria's reign. The construction was partly funded by public subscription and the hall is now held on charitable trust by the Town Council on behalf of the people of Grange-over-sands. Originally situated on this site was Laurel House, owned by James Jopson.
Victoria Hall, Main Street, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Hardcragg Hall The oldest house in Grange, Hardcragg Hall is dated 1563. England's famous Ironmaster, John Wilkinson, once lived here. He sailed the first iron built boat on Winster River only two miles away, manufactured pipes for a new water system in Paris and fashioned the cannon used by Wellington who defeated Napolean at Waterloo in 1815. Another resident, W.G. Marshal Townley introduced Jersey cows to this area. Beatrix Potter became a regular visitor to the hall which had its own piggery. There she"met" a friendly "porker"who later became Pigling Bland, a character in one of her successful story books. The site of this piggery is thought to be the present Grange library. Pig Lane to the east of the library derives its name from this.
Grange Fell Road, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
The national Church of England School opened in 1864 with the inscription '... to be forever used for the education of children and adults only of the labouring and manufacturing classes.' By 1869 the school had been placed under Government inspection, no longer financed solely by the Church. Alexander Brogden of Holme Island began a series of famous 'Penny Readings' here in 1876, so simple folk could enjoy their first taste of poetry and literature. An extension was built by public subscription in 1885 which saved the Local School Board building costs of £2,000 and the community a sixpenny increase on the rates.
Catholic Church. Dedicated to St Charles Borromeo 1538-1584 Archbishop of Milan and Cardinal. Father John Bilburrow, later Bishop of Salford, established this church in 1883 with the help of John & Ellen Sutcliffe Witham of Kentsford. Canon Richard Langtree 1883-1929 purchased the adjoining field and created an outstanding rose garden.
Methodist Church John Wesley, who travelled throughout 18th century England, preached in the nearby fishing village of "Fluckburgh" in 1759, but it was not until 1867 that his followers began to meet regularly in Grange at a stone barn by the shore. Later they met morning and evening at Berners Close until this present Church opened in 1874 on land donated by Alexander Brogden of Holme Island. His wife laid the foundation stone. The Reverend Bamford Judge, first incumbent, was given permission by Furness Railway Company to walk over the railway viaduct, a facility that saved him considerable time on the Arnside and Kendal Ministers Circuit.
United Reformed Church The congregation was founded in 1889 by the Lancashire Congregational Union. This building was opened for Divine Service in 1895, with seating for 330 worshippers, an adjoining vestry and Lecture Hall at a total cost of £2400. Subscriptions raised amounted to £1,200. The Church was designed by EH Dawson and built by James Garden of Dalton-in-Furness. Stones for quoins came from Haworth near Leeds and roof slates from local quarries. An old record describes the architecture as well-proportioned, having an early French Gothic character and well suited to express simplicity of faith and worship. Its first minister was Rev. WJ Burman. In 1972 the Congregational Church in England & Wales united with the Presbyterian Church of England, joined in 1981 by the Association of the Churches of Christ, to become the The United Reformed Church in the United Kingdom.
Cox's Corner. This small park was a garden belonging to Dr. Cox who lived on Kents Bank Road. His children used to play here and when they grew up he donated this area to local residents. Situated nearby is an hotel named Berners Close which takes its name from the centuries old rural craft of charcoal burning. "Burners" provided an essential ingredient for iron and gunpowder industries. The hotel was converted from a private residence by a local Quaker, Mr JW Midgely who built a meeting house in Grange behind Prospect House. He became a regular visitor to Swarthmoor Hall, Ulverston, the cradle of Quakerism.
Hotel Stables. Known as the "Taps" this building was originally the stables for the Grange Hotel which opened in 1866 with finance provided by Furness Railway Company. Thomas Rigg, the first manager, promoted Grange's earliest charabanc service from here, and also gave his name to another venture on site, "Rigg's Refreshment Rooms", affectionately nicknamed the "Cocoa Rooms" by local people simply because cocoa was the cheapest drink available. Education in Grange began in a school built close to the "Taps" on an area liable to flood during high tides "...when the number of small geysers, some attaining two or more feet in height, forced themselves up in the hotel grounds."
Main, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Commodore Hotel. The cross-sands coach service from Lancaster to Ulverston began in 1785 and by around 1820 travellers to Grange were able to rest at this coaching house then called the "Bay Horse". The remains of stables still exist today. A turnpike from Greenodd to Levens built in 1819 did not pass through isolated Grange and it was not until 1875 that a connecting road to Lindale finally opened, The hostelry later changed its name to "Commercial" before taking a more modern sounding title, "Commodore". The present car park is believed to be the location of an old sea wall where customs house may have been. Archives from Cartmel Priory indicates this site as a likely unloading point for "sea coles" recorded in 1598.
Morecambe Bank, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Tea Rooms. Mr. Harold Porritt, JP, Director of a textile factory in Helmshore, Lancashire first visited Grange in 1895, fell in love with its beautiful surroundings so decided to stay. As a way of enhancing local facilities for residents and visitors alike he established the "Tea Rooms", erected on a section of the Promenade built by Grange Urban District Council in 1901. Mr Porritt was also responsible for the erection of a bandstand situated nearby but this welcome addition had to be moved to Park Gardens on the Esplanade because ladies frequently found soot marks on their clothes after steam trains had passed by.
The Promenade, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
The Piers. In Victorian times Bayley Lane was the centre access to the shore and "Bayley Lane Pier" was built here by Morecambe Bay Steamboat Company. Remains of this structure can be seen jutting out of the sands. The Promenade from here to Grange Railway Station was built by Furness Railway Company in 1902. Further along the shore a few wooden foundations are all that remain of Clare House Pier, built in 1893 by businessman Richard Bush. Timbers used in its construction are thought to be from Piel Pier at Barrow-in-Furness. At Clare House Lane, Victorian day trippers landed by pleasure steamers and were met by eager townsfolk who were keen to sell fresh market produce. Last used in 1910 by the vessel "Sunbeam" from Morecambe, Clare House Pier was blown down in a gale on 28th October 1923.
The Promenade, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
St Paul's Parish Church. Consecrated in 1853, the church stands on land given by Miss Suzannah Newby; previously worshippers travelled to Cartmel for Sunday service. A visitor, Miss Sarah Anne Clark of Liverpool, organised a public subscription fund to finance the building of the Church. The original building consisted only of the central nave but as Grange grew after the coming of the railway in 1857 it became necessary to extend the Church. A north aisle was added in 1861 and a south aisle in 1867, with other extensions in 1875 and 1932. The fine oak pews and panelling were provided between 1950 and 1953, by Col. ATP Porritt in memory of his wife and his son, who was killed in 1940.
Crown Hill, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Grange-Over-Sands Station. The Ulverstone & Lancaster Railway was opened through the first station on this site on 27th August 1857: the first passenger train ran on 1st September. The Furness Railway, having absorbed the U&LR in 1862, commissioned the architect Edward Graham Paley of Lancaster to design the present station, which was built in 1864-72. The station is listed Grade II and stands in a Conservation Area. It was restored in 1997/98.
Lindale Road, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom