United Kingdom / Howden

all or unphotographed
4308469 d2ba4e17 120x120
78 Hailgate a nice example of a three-story late 18th century house, probably associated with one or more of the breweries which flanked it. In the 1920s Nevil Shute Norway, the Chief Calculator at the Howden Airship Station where the R100 was being built, lodged here. He later became famous as the novelist Nevil Shute and his first novel 'Mazaran' was probably written here.

78 Hailgate, DN14 7ST, Howden, United Kingdom

Subjects
4308828 dfdf5932 120x120
The White Horse Inn. The White Horse Inn is one of Howden's oldest inns and was in existence as early as 1702. The yard was the picking-up point for carriers from many villages in the area. It was bought in 1773 by the Carter family, who owned several of the town's inns and breweries in the 19th century.

, Howden, United Kingdom

4333862 42982689 120x120
Bridgegate Howden's September Horsefair was once famous all over Europe, with buyers coming annually from as far as France, Belgium and Russia. As many as 16000 horses changed hands during the week, mainly destined for army use. Most trading took place in Bridgegate which was so full of people and horses that it was virtually impossible to move along its length.

Post Office, 44 Bridgegate, Howden, United Kingdom

4309518 fc9cf304 120x120
Wellington Hotel. Known in the eighteenth century as the White Hart Inn, the Wellington was a stopping point for stage-coaches travelling between Liverpool and Hull. The notorious pastime of cock-fighting was practised here in the early 19th century. In the 1820s the inn was re-named in honour of the famous Duke, victor at Waterloo.

31 Bridgegate, Howden, United Kingdom

4328536 685d1b9b 120x120
14, St John’s Street. This early 18th century house with its typically steep roofline is the oldest property in the street. From 1839 it was a solicitor's office, first of George England and then of successive generations of the Green family, who played an important part in Howdenshire's local government, acting as clerks to many public bodies until 1985.

14, St John’s Street, Howden, United Kingdom

4328488 094210c1 120x120
Highbridge House. Built about 1700, this 7-bay house was named after the bridge that spanned the River Derwent near here in medieval times. Since 1930 it has been the Majestic Cinema, offices, a club and in 2004, became a Community Services Centre. Note the hipped roof and segmental pediment below the centre window on the first floor, part of the original doorway.

, Howden, United Kingdom

4308841 7d2d338b 120x120
The Half Moon Inn. The original Half Moon Inn, first recorded in 1661, was for many generations the town's largest and most important inn with fashionable Assembly Rooms and extensive outbuildings. "The True Briton" stage-coach stopped here en route between Liverpool and Hull. The inn was rebuilt by the Goole architect H. B. Thorp in 1890. Hull Cooperative Society moved from Churchside to this building in 1937.

, Howden, United Kingdom

4328503 8d0b580f 120x120
The Chestnuts. This handsome red-brick and slate house with its large Tuscan style porch on the south front was built circa 1800 on the site of the Bedern, the house for priests from the nearby Minster in medieval times. The coach-house was restored in 2003.

, Howden, United Kingdom

4328396 dfb7ae8e 120x120
5 Market Place. This shop has been a butcher's since 1867, having previously been a grocer's and a candle-maker's. The decorative tiles on the shop-front were added in the 1920's by the then owner Frank Moore. During the Depression of the 1930's Mrs Moore ran a soup kitchen here twice a week using spare bones and vegetables given by other shopkeepers.

, Howden, United Kingdom

4328383 6c88d890 120x120
The Shire Hall. Built as a covered market and assembly rooms, the Shire Hall resembles a Dutch town hall with its large stepped gable and mullioned windows. It has been used as a theatre, roller-skating rink, concert hall and cinema. The facilities have been much improved by the Shire Hall Trust which installed new tiered seating in 2001

, Howden, United Kingdom

4333843 abea4ae5 120x120
Bridgegate House. This fine town house, with its six bay brick front laid in Flemish bond, dates from the mid-18th century and was built probably by Thomas Graver, an apothecary and surgeon. It became the home of the Spofforth family, a branch of which emigrated to Australia, where Frederick Spofforth, the "demon bowler", was the greatest figure in early Australian test cricket.

, Howden, United Kingdom

4309526 9b86cef4 120x120
The Spotted Cow. On this site stood the Spotted Cow, popular as a beer house with the farmers attending the Corn Market. For many years it was kept by the Harrison family and eventually became a lodging house, often used by Irish farm workers until the 1960s. It was saved from demolition and is now restored as a private house.

, Howden, United Kingdom

4328558 5999baa5 120x120
2, Churchside Built in the style of a Florentine palazzo, as many Victorian commercial buildings were, this is the only example in Howden. William Small and his sister, Justice, from London, developed the site as business premises. Justice's initials are above the door. By 1881 it was occupied by the Yorkshire Banking Company.

2 Churchside, Howden, United Kingdom