United Kingdom / King's Lynn

all or unphotographed
31417308203 0d66578e69 m
Bank House King's Staithe Square Site of the medieval Tolbooth, facing Bishop's Staithe. House of 1682, and a former Custom House. West wing built c1750. In 1782 became Gurney & Birkbeck's Lynn Bank, with a Counting House built in 1788.

King's Staithe Square, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32099126881 9823e66401 m
Clifton House A fine example of a merchant's house. Much of the structure dates from the 16th and 17th centuries including a remarkable five storey Elizabethan tower, the only remaining example in King's Lynn. There is however a late 14th century brick vaulted undercroft and two rooms with early 14th century tiled floors. Probably in 1708 the front part was remodelled, reputedly by the celebrated Lynn architect Henry Bell. The impressive staircase and panelled rooms are characteristic of the period. There is a 17th century warehouse on the north side of the rear courtyard.

Clifton House, 17 Queen Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31842177560 73f97de50f m
Baker Lane Oil Cake Mill In 1899 a four-storey linseed oil mill and warehouse here was destroyed by fire. Rebuilt for Henry Leake & Son in 1900, making linseed cake for cattle feed. This tower became a granary after 1945, and was retained as part of a courtyard of apartments built in 1985-87.

Baker Lane, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31376404574 810bdcacb4 m
Clifton House Crypt 14th Century House 16th-17th Century

Clifton House, 17 Queen Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32069965722 0d0b8f6cb3 m
Burkitt Homes. Almshouses built in 1909 in memory of William Burkitt, maltster and seed merchant. Mayor 1863 & 1886.

Queen Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32100260661 f8d9aae8e3 m
Royal Arms The above coat of arms of Henry VIII was mounted on the Town's East Gate in 1541, reflecting the change from Bishop's to King's Lynn in 1537. Since the gate's demolition in 1800 the arms have had various homes until erection here, over the entrance, in 1982.

College Lane, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
4626799 4afc208b 120x120
Gaol House. This building of 1784 housed the town gaoler and replaced an earlier gaoler's house. In the prison yad behind are some 18th century cells. This was the town Police Station until 1954.

Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32070231732 ced8a75495 m
King John (1167-1216) Granted Lynn a charter in 1204 at the request of the Bishop of Norwich who retained the lordship of the town. Lynn was raised to borough status with the rights of local jurisdiction and government including a merchant gild to oversee commerce and soon a mayor. The royal charter was a milestone in the history of Lynn, reflecting its rapid growth over the previous century to become the fourth port of the Kingdom by 1204. King John began his last fateful journey from Lynn in October 1216 when his baggage train was lost in the Wash as he travelled via Wisbech to Newark where he died. Though the 1204 charter gave the town a degree of political independence it was 'Bishops Lynn' until 1537 when another charter from Henry VIII created 'King's Lynn' ousting 'Our Lord of Norwich'.

Guildhall, Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
4626832 8df17005 120x120
Hall of the Guild of the Holy and Undivided Trinity Rebuilt in 1422 on earlier foundations, it has a stone floor. The arms of Elizabeth I and James I are over the entrance porch. Assembly rooms were added in 1767, used as a town hall until 1895 when the adjoining building was occupied.In the Regalia room are displayed the King John's cup, the Red Register which is the oldest paper book in the world, a unique collection of charters, a sword of state and four maces.

Guildhall, Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31841027290 a262331d8e m
2 St Margaret's Place On this site stood Sparrow Hall, owned between 1393-1513 by the Town Council. Behind the restyled exterior stands a late 15th century house, occupied since 1513 by merchants, doctors and a vicar.

2 St Margaret's Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31408754263 bd1001cf18 m
St Margaret's Vicarage Built c.1830 for a Lynn merchant, this house has been the Vicarage since 1912. From the previous house on this site novelist Fanny Burney (1752-1840) observed the social life of Lynn, staying there as a regular visitor.

St Margaret's Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31377673264 815db6ec00 m
Site of Thoresbys' House. The Thoresby family of merchants and landowners lived here between c.1427-1510. Thomas Claiborne (c1557-1607), merchant and Mayor, lived here. His son William (1600-77) was a co-founder of the Virginia colony in 1621.

Queen Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32178106736 984155e03f m
St Margaret's House Built c.1755 for Edward Everard (1699-1769), it replaced the Hansa Merchants' House. Everard, a merchant and brewer, was Mayor 1742 - 1758. Restored 1971

St Margaret's Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31405488803 f362c1555a m
Ladybridge Opposite this plaque, on the old road to London, stood a chapel of Our Lady from c1329 until 1549; later used as a house. This road bridge was rebuilt by the town's Paving Commissioners in 1806, and Millfleet itself was covered over in 1897.

Ladybridge, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31377694924 6afe74785b m
The home of the 'Samuel' Browne dynasty of merchants who lived and ran their business from here for a century up to 1784. The building dates from the 17t century and was refronted c.1730.

15 Nelson Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31839118060 a3f09f5d89 m
Walter Dexter Artist lived here 1953-1958

2 Nelson Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31404169813 5c3dc74793 m
Hanseatic Warehouse Built about 1475, together with buildings on the site of St. Margaret's House which was built in the late 18th century. Used until 1751 as the depot for Hansa the important north European merchant league. Preserved and converted into offices by the Norfolk County Council in 1971

St Margaret's Lane, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31838690190 e4d0b1b34b m
Hanse House is the only surviving Hanseatic building in England. Acquired by the German Hanse in 1475, for nearly four centuries it was known as the 'Steelyard' (a kind of business house, from the medieval German Stalhof). From the mid sixteenth century onwards, it was leased by the Hanse to local merchants. One of these, Edward Everard, bought it in 1751 and rebuilt the part which faces St Margaret's church. In 1971, Norfolk County Council acquired the building and named it 'St Margaret's House'. In 2009 it was renamed 'Hanse House' in recognition of its historic significance and of King's Lynn membership of the 'new' Hanse, a network of European towns and cities inspired by our shared Hanseatic heritage.

South Quay, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
4679114443 e1578c9b9f m
Marriott's Warehouse By 1440 this site was a quay known as Pygot's Stand. Although the building includes some 14th century stone, it was probably built c.1570 for coal and corn merchant Thomas Claiborne. Marriott was a corn merchant here by 1845.

S Quay, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31371607324 5215f1a8a5 m
The Half Fathom Column ripples like the river water flashes at night like Wash bouy climbs as high as the tidal rise Andrew Schumann 2000

South Quay, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31372248364 537fc22878 m
84 High Street Dr Charles Burney (1726-1814) composer and music historian, and his daughter Fanny Burney (1752-1840) novelist and diarist, lived here in the 1750's

84 High Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
4244695881 29af1c4b9c m
Three Crowns House These apartments took the name of a public house on the alley through the site-three crowns was the symbol of East Anglia. Formerly the site of Everard's warehouses, the oldest parts were C17 and can still be seen behind, at both ends. The river edge then was down the middle of this site.

Three Crowns House, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31399491583 dab9711c17 m
To the Memory of Captain George Vancouver RN. Born King's Lynn 1757 Died Petersham 1798 A great navigator & surveyor Captain Vancouver precisely charted many thousands of miles of the northwest Pacific coastline from San Diego California to Anchorage Alaska

Purfleet Quay, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31843095140 8befb119a7 m
1 King Street Sir John Turner (1632-1712) merchant lived here. Mayor 1678 & 1692, M.P. for Lynn, patron of Henry Bell, architect. The Custom House and Duke's Head Hotel were built for him.

1 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31366145554 5367ce69fb m
Captain Alexander Musgrave who sailed against the Spanish Armada 1588 lived in a house on this site

5 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32088618651 69b4ab7eed m
28-32 King Street Within 30-32 are the remains of a stone house built c.1200, the oldest in Lynn. About 1300, the timber framed row of houses and shops at 28-30 was built over and beside the stone house.

28-32 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

32091379181 f91e737f57 m
West Norfolk and King's Lynn High School for Girls 1902-1979

Old School Court, 21 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31416070683 b4fc50ccbe m
23-25 King Street. An early 17th century house built with a central passage reflecting two medieval hall house plots. The rear crow-stepped gables are rare for King's Lynn. Refronted early in the 18th century the house was divided into two by 1810. In 1988/90 it was restored as one property.

23-25 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32214385645 3a5e5a9562 m
27 King Street St George's Chambers. Altered by Dutch merchant families, the limestone house front is 1739 and the finely-detailed rear wing is c1695. After 1814 this property also owned the Guidhall warehouses, and included Everard & Blencowe's Bank from 1826-61. Offices after 1930 (museum 1973-1992).

27 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31408605163 c77d4fa9a3 m
29 King Street Shakespeare House This is a late C15 'hall house' of timber and brick with an 1810 front wall, and added rooms c1780 beside the Guildhall. Formerly the Shakespeare public house, this name referred to the Guildhall's use as a theatre in 1766-1814.

29 King Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
3349068592 d073a4d620 m
Central tower of Church of the Grey Friars 13th Century.

St James St, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

20892911784 1c0e89ab20 m
Thoresby College The College was founded by Thomas Thoresby, a prominent merchant and member of the Trinity Gild, to house chantry priests. It was built in 1508-11, and restored by the King's Lynn Preservation Trust in 1965-8.

Thoresby College, Queen St, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

21489863366 5713071da4 m
The original Theatre Royal stood on this site from 7th February 1815 to 10th May 1936 when it was destroyed by fire. Many famous actors performed here including Charles Kemble, Mrs Dora Jordan, Joseph Grimaldi, Edmund Kean, William Charles Macready and Mrs Beerbohm Tree.

Theatre Royal, St James Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
3868938114 2f47b1b5b3 m
Corn Exchange Built in 1854. Designed by Cruso & Maberley of Lynn, the front facade is surmounted by the goddess Ceres. Site of Market Hall 1830-1854, and previously of the Angel Inn.

Tuesday Market Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
31850826520 d528378a35 m
9 Nelson Street A branch of the influential Bagge merchant family lived here 1766-1839. The late 15th century door displays the town's Pelican badge. The front facade was 'latched' c.1703.

9 Nelson Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
21522903862 38a9458a63 m
Savings Bank Designed in imposing 'tudor-gothic' style in 1858, the Lynn Savings Bank hoped to inspire the confidence of local savers! The town's armorial bearings include the pelican badge, and the shield is on the rainwater pipes. The bank had opened in 1817 in the High Street.

High Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

6405320259 74b0894c26 m
Sir Robert Walpole (1676 - 1745) Rebuilt Houghton Hall and M. P. for Kings Lynn (1702 - 1742) when it was one of the Kingdom's premier ports. Britain's first Prime Minister during the reigns of George I and II. Sir Robert was a frequent patron of the Duke's Head where his supporters held ball to celebrate his regular election to Parliament for King's Lynn. He shared the representation of the borough with his brother-in-law, Sir Charles Turner (1666 - 1738), whose uncle John Turner built this hotel.

5-6 Tuesday Market Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

4609314615 91d1d6326b m
Norfolk and Norwich Art Circle 1885-1985 Old Bank of England Chambers where the Norwich Art Circle had its club room and held its first exhibition on 12th September 1885

Queen Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

3868175099 02b0faeed0 m
Tudor Rose Hotel C15 front door and crown post roof in hall range on the left, joined by a first floor gallery to St Nicholas' House, to the right (a classical east gable is dated 1645). These buildings faced north into the courtyard of a mansion house, until 1895. Restored in 1972-74, and extended as an hotel.

Tudor Rose Hotel, Nicholas Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

3868944148 dbc4776e71 m
Bennett's Yard 21 St Nicholas Street This 15 century arch originally led under a house to a tenement yard behind. Primitive Methodists in Norfolk first met here in 1821. The house became ruinous and was demolished in 1951.

21 St Nicholas Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

3868160523 dd33311192 m
18 Tuesday Market Place Oldest parts are 15th century, the southern half was refronted c.1725 and the northern bay rebuilt in 1803. Rear wings demolished 1975. Maltings remain to the west. The Bagge merchant family, brewers and bankers, occupied these premises 1725-1929.

18 Tuesday Market Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

3868931292 19a9fc62f7 m
21 Tuesday Market Place Erected in 1768 for George Hogge, a wealthy merchant. In 1869 the building was bought by Gurney's Bank; their successors Barclay's, refronted it in the original style in 1957. Site of Custom House 1620-1703.

21 Tuesday Market Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

31370813264 fc5ef48c15 m
(opposite this plaque is the) Custom House Built as a Merchant's Exchange in 1683 by Henry Bell for Sir John Turner. Altered in 1718 and 1744. From 1693 to 1989 this was the Port Office for HM Customs, and it is "one of the finest late 17C public buildings in provincial England" (N Pevsner)

Purfleet Quay, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
32219261205 984583a1b7 m
Outer Purfleet Purfleet was the main harbour inlet of medieval Lynn, and originally much wider. Purfleet Quay was built in 1547. On this site stood Hull Warehouse (c1680), a tall granary (c1900), and then grain silos (1964-92). The dock was created in 2000, as a Millennium Project.

Purfleet Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
3868845026 8e1218a5b2 m
John Exton, M.D. Mayor of Lynn 1735 lived here

High Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
4627207 6452a296 120x120
Lattice House. Built c.1480 as a range of 3 shops and houses with later cross wings. The south end has been an Inn since at least 1714 and other parts occupied by St Nicholas Church staff. A very fine open hall and crown-post roofs can be seen inside. Restored 1981-2.

37-41 Chapel Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

3515459897 748d2c404d m
Juniper House, Austin Street. This building is named after Councillor Fred Juniper (1918-99). In 36 years of public service he was Mayor of King's Lynn 1975-76 and Borough Mayor of West Norfolk in 1995-96.

Juniper House, Austin Street, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

3511522534 8212fa1192 m
Ralph Vaughan Williams (1876-1958) Searching for English folk songs the young composer visited King's Lynn and district in January 1905 and collected 61 in a week. The fisherfolk of the North End impressed Ralph Vaughan Williams particularly James "Duggie" Carter (aged 61). Their songs influenced several of his orchestral works including three "Norfolk Rhapsodies" and "A Sea Symphony". Ralph Vaughan Williams met the fisherfolk in January 1905 in this public house then called "The Tilden Smith"

Hextable Road, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
3451075134 8ccf81d4fd m
King's Staithe Mill. Built in 1749 by William Langley, merchant and Mayor, as a mill for the production of oil from rape seed. After 1800 it was used as a granary and later as an animal feed mill.

King's Staithe Mill, King's Lynn, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Frederick Savage (1828-97) A machine maker in Lynn from 1851, he became renowned for steam engines used on fairground rides and patented the 'galloping horses'. Mayor 1889. Statue erected 1892, and restored in 1992, aided by the Showmens' Guild of Great Britain.

Guanock Place, King's Lynn, United Kingdom