William Turton Corn and hay merchant here at Turton's Wharf and Warehouse rebuilt 1876. He pioneered horse drawn tramways across northern England. From 1866 he ran omnibuses in Leeds, becoming a founding director, then chairman, of Leeds Tramways Company 1872-1895. Councillor and Poor Law Guardian. 1825-1900
64, The Calls, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Olympia Works. Robert Blackburn, aviator pioneer, built aircraft here including over 100 BE2C army and navy biplanes and the famous Kangeroo, Swift and Sopwith Baby planes. He test flew the BE2Cs on Soldiers' Field and from there, in 1919, operated passenger flights to London and Amsterdam. 1914-1932
Tescos, Roundhay, Leeds, United Kingdom
Frank Kidson M.A. 1855-1926 Musical antiquarian and folk-song collector lived here 1904-1926
5 Hamilton Avenue, LS7, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Philosophical Hall. The imposing home of the Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society stood here until 1966. Erected in 1821 it became the centre of scientific and cultural life in Leeds, housing a fine museum conveyed to the City in 1921.
HSBC Bank, Park Row, Leeds, United Kingdom
Bramley Rugby League Football Club The Barley Mow Inn ground was the home of Bramley Rugby League Football Club (now Bramley Buffaloes) from 1890 until its move to MacLaren Field in 1965. Bramley played New Zealand Al Golds here in 1907 in the Northern Union's first ever tour game. FOUNDED 1879
The Barley Mow Inn, Town Street, Bramley LS13, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds & County Liberal Club From Parliamentary and municipal reform in the 1830s to 1894 the Liberal Party dominated politics in Leeds. This splendid club in Welsh terracotta opened in 1891. Crowds were addresses from its balcony 'on occasions of political excitement'. Chorley & Connon Architects
Quebecs Hotel, Quebec Street, LS1, Leeds, United Kingdom
Mann's Patent Steam Cart & Wagon Company Ltd Steam-powered road vehicles were built here. Previously Mann & Charlesworth Ltd of Dewsbury Road, the company produced unique designs of steam carts, rollers, wagons and tractors. 1899-1929
Pepper Road, Hunslet, Leeds, United Kingdom
Smithfield Ironworks Built as the Smithfield Hotel in the 1860s to serve Leeds Cattle Market opposite, it later became the imposing frontage of Thomas Green & Sons Ltd. Green's made steam and motor rollers, traction engines, steam trams, railway locomotives and grass cutting equipment.
North Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Adelaide Neilson renowned international tragic actress was born nearby in St. Peter's Square. "Her Juliet was perfect ; her Isabella had marvellous earnestness and beauty". 1848-1880
Outside main entrance to West Yorkshire Playhouse, Quarry Hill, LS2 7UP, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Leeds Club Moved here in 1852. As a prestigious gentlemen's club, it was the meeting place for the town's leading business and professional men. Its lavish classical interior included coffee, smoking and dining rooms, a billiard room, bedrooms and a ballroom. Founded 1849.
3 Albion Place, LS1, Leeds, United Kingdom
Yorkshire Patent Steam Wagon Company [full inscription unknown]
Off Pepper Road, Leeds, United Kingdom
Richard Bentley [full inscription unknown]
Bentley Square, Calverley Rd, Oulton, LS26, Leeds, United Kingdom
Mount St Marys Convent, Orphanage & School Founded in 1853 by the sisters of the Holy Family of Bordeaux to serve the Catholic community displaced from Ireland by famine and which came to live on the Bank, an area of severe poverty and deprivation. Architect: William Wardell Built 1858
Mt St Marys Catholic High School, Ellerby Road, LS9, Leeds, United Kingdom
Newton House Earl Cowper built this fine house c.1820 on part of Squire Pastures Farm, a fore-runner of the high class residential development of New Leeds. In 1843 Hutchinson Gresham, pawnbroker, purchased the villa. Joseph Lumley, mustard, cocoa and chicory manufacturer lived here in 1851.
Spencer Place, LS7, Leeds, United Kingdom
Permanent House Was built on the newly created Headrow in 1930 as the headquarters of Leeds Permanent Building Society. Its grandeur befitted Leeds' greatest financial institution which from 1848 enable generations to fulfil the dream of buying their own home. Architect: G.W. Atkinson
Browns Restaurant, The Light, The Headrow, Leeds, United Kingdom
Headingley Hall. The medieval manor house of Headingley almost certainly stood here. The Hall was rebuilt in the 17th century and 1831-6. Residents included John Killingbeck, Mayor of Leeds 1677, George Hayward, Land Agent of the Earl of Cardigan, and his son George J. W. Hayward, born here 1839, intrepid explorer in Central Asia.
Headingley Hall, Shire Oak Road, LS6, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Hunslet Engine Company Was the longest-lived firm in this dynamic area, building over one-third of the 19,000 locomotives produced in Leeds for passenger and freight trains, factories, docks, mines, tunnelling and plantations throughout the world. 1864-1995
125 Jack Lane, Hunslet, Leeds, United Kingdom
Ellen Heaton (1816-94) Lived in 6 Woodhouse Square from 1859-94. She was an influential Pre-Raphaelite art patron and an active campaigner for women's rights, education, health, environmental issues and anti-vivisection. Her friend, the poet Christina Rossetti, stayed here.
Swarthmore Education Centre, 6 Woodhouse Square, Leeds, United Kingdom
Canal Gardens These ornamental gardens were formed from a walled kitchen garden built c.1816 for Thomas Nicholson of Roundhay Park. Inheriting the estate in 1833, his stepbrother Stephen added the canal, 350 by 34 feet, spanned by two rustic bridges and terminating in an arbour.
Canal Gardens, on archway leading to Tropical World, LS8, Leeds, United Kingdom
Dewhirst's and Marks & Spencer. This was the warehouse of Isaac Dewhirst, wholesale haberdasher and manufacturer of hosiery, pinafores, underclothing and aprons. Obtaining supplies here, the Polish immigrant pedlar, Michael Marks, met Dewhirst's cashier Tom Spencer. In 1894 they formed the most famous partnership in British retailing.
Harper Street, LS2, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Civic Hall Was erected 1930-33 by the unemployed building workers of Leeds. Its magnificent accommodation includes Lord Mayor's ceremonial rooms, Council Chamber, committee rooms and offices. It was built to serve the 'ever-expanding municipal functions and duties' of Leeds City Council. Architect: Vincent Harris
Millennium Square, Portland Crescent, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Leeds Rifles. A volunteer corps raised by resolution of Leeds Town Council in 1859 when the Government feared the French might invade Britain. This headquarters, Carlton Barracks, was built in 1887 and remained the home of the Leeds Rifles until disbandment in 1969.
Carlton Barracks, Carlton Hill, LS7, Leeds, United Kingdom
Dr Alister MacKenzie The great golf course architect lived here 1907-1929. His first designs were the courses at Alwoodley (1907) and Moortown (1909). His greatest achievements include Royal Melbourne (1926), Cypress Point, California (1928) and, most famous of all with Bobby Jones, Augusta National (1933-34). 1870 - 1934
The Corner House Club, 266 Lidgett Lane, Leeds, United Kingdom
E. J. Arnold & Son Ltd Britain's leading educational suppliers and printers was established in this Georgian merchant's house No.3 Briggate in 1870. Its warehouse and factory was in Blayd's Yard.
3 Briggate, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Co-operative Society Was founded in 1847 when workers at Holbeck's Benyon & Co flax-spinning mill initiated the raising of funds in instalments from working-class families to rent a mill on this site. 'The People's Mill' provided them with wholesome, reasonably-priced flour. By 2007 co-operatives had spread worldwide with 700 million members - but Leeds Co-operative Society was still the oldest in existence.
Gatepost at the entrance of Leodis Court (opp. Temple Mill)., Leeds, United Kingdom
Richard Oastler 'The Factory King' was born in St Peter's Square. His 1830 letter to the Leeds Mercury about 'Yorkshire Slavery' began the campaign to reduce the working day of factory children to ten hours. The Ten Hours Act of 1847 owed much to his persuasive writing and compelling oratory. 1789 - 1861
The Wardrobe, St Peters Square (by BBC North HQ), Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Grammar School Was founded in 1552 by William Sheafield, chantry priest, Leeds Parish Church. It occupied this building from 1859 to 1997. Famous pupils include: John Smeaton, engineer; G. Studdert Kennedy, 'Woodbine Willie' chaplain; John Ireland, composer; Field Marshal Lord Nicholson of Roundhay. Architect: Edward Barry
Moorland Road, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leonora Cohen JP OBE Leading suffragette famous for smashing a showcase in the Jewel House at the Tower of London and for her hunger strike at Armley Gaol in 1913 Lived here 1923-36 1873-1978
2 Claremont Villas, Clarendon Road, LS3, Leeds, United Kingdom
John Smeaton, FRS Was born and lived at Austhorpe Ledge, Whitkirk, Leeds. He developed scientific methods to harness better the water, wind and steam power essential to the Industrial Revolution. He consulted nationally on the design of mills, harbours, bridges and waterways, including the Aire and Calder Navigation. He was most famous for designing and building the third Eddystone Lighthouse. The creation of the Smeatonian Society of Civil Engineers (1771) gave rise to the professional engineering institutions. 1724-1792
Leeds Lock, Leeds, United Kingdom
Sir John Barran MP Pioneered the Leeds ready-made clothing industry in the 1850s, introducing the band knife for cutting multiple layers of cloth. In 1887 he added this factory to his others in Park Square. As Mayor he secured the purchase of Roundhay Park for Leeds. 1821-1905
Josephs Well, Chorley, Leeds, United Kingdom
John Deakin Heaton (1817-80) Eminent physician lived at Claremont, a Georgian merchant's villa, from 1856-80. He was a prime mover in the campaign for Leeds Town Hall, and played major roles in the development of Leeds General Infirmary and the Yorkshire College, later the University of Leeds.
Claremont, 23 Clarendon Road, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Hunslet Engine Company was the longest-lived firm in this dynamic area, building over one-third of the 19,000 locomotives produced in Leeds for passenger and freight trains, factories, docks, mines, tunnelling and plantations throughout the world. 1864 - 1995
Equinox Design Ltd, 100 Jack Lane, Hunslet, LS10, Leeds, United Kingdom
Sir Clifford Allbutt 1836-1925. One of the most widely consulted physicians of his era lived here 1872-81. He was Physician at Leeds General Infirmary 1864-84 and later Regius Professor of Physic at Cambridge. He is best known for inventing the short-stemmed clinical thermometer and revising 'The System of Medicine', the doctor's bible.
Lyddon Hall, University of Leeds, Virginia Rd, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Middleton Railway. Began nearby in 1758 to carry coal from Middleton Colliery to Leeds by horse drawn wagon. The world's first commercially successful steam locomotive, designed and built by Matthew Murray and incorporating John Blenkinsop's patented rack wheel, started work here on 24 June 1812.
Station, Moor Road, LS10, Leeds, United Kingdom
Sir Berkeley Moynihan (1865-1936) Inspirational teacher and pioneer in abdominal surgery had his consulting rooms here from 1893-1930. He introduced the wearing of rubber gloves, and prized 'caressing the tissues' rather than speed in surgery. President of the Royal College of Surgeons 1926-31. Ennobled 1929
33 Park Square, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds General Cemetery. Alarmed by the insanitary and overcrowded state of the Parish Church graveyard and body snatching, the Leeds elite bought £25 shares in the Leeds General Cemetery Company. It acquired St. George's Fields and created this fine private cemetery, where many Leeds worthies lie. Architect: John Clark. Opened 1835
Gatehouse, St Georges Field, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
Denison Hall The grandest house ever built in central Leeds was erected in 101 days for John Wilkinson upon inheriting the fortune of his uncle, the cloth merchant, Robert Denison. Its parkland setting reflected his desire for the country gentleman's lifestyle for which he soon abandoned Leeds. Built 1786
Hanover Square, Leeds, United Kingdom
Samuel Ledgard (1874 - 1952) was landlord here 1896 - 1952. The renowned private operator of bus and coach services in Yorkshire, in a remarkable career he was also a farmer, brewer, garage proprietor, quarry owner, haulage contractor and caterer to royalty and the nobility.
Nelson Inn, 210-212 Armley Rd, Leeds, United Kingdom
Joseph Aspdin (1778-1855). Portland Cement, one of mankind's most important manufactured materials, was patented by Joseph Aspdin, a Leeds bricklayer, on 21 October 1824. Aspdin lived in this yard (then called Slip Inn Yard) and first sold his cement in Angel Inn Yard
somewhere Yard, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Grange Formerly the site of a Kirkstall Abbey farm, the house dates from 1752. John Marshall, millionaire flax-spinner, lived here like a country gentleman from 1804-1818. The banker William Beckett bought the estate in 1834, making major alterations in 1858.
The Grange, Beckett Park, Leeds, United Kingdom
Wortley Grammar School was founded in 1677 by the bequest of Samuel Sunderland to teach boys English or Latin. It occupied this new schoolroom from 1814 to 1909 when the school closed. Notable pupils included mathematician and judge, C. J. Hargreave, banker and Leeds Mayor, Henry Oxley, and brickworks owner, Joseph Cliff
Lower Wortley Road, Leeds, United Kingdom
Sir William Bragg (1862-1942) Cavendish Professor of Physics at the University of Leeds 1909-1916 developed here the first x-ray spectrometer and pioneered the x-ray analysis of crystal structures. Joint nobel laureate for physics in 1915 with his son Sir Lawrence Bragg
Parkinson Building, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds School Board erected this fine headquarters and examination centre in 1878-81. First elected by the ratepayers of Leeds in 1870, the board built sufficient schools to ensure that for the first time every child in Leeds received an elementary education. Architect: George Corson
Calverley Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Meanwood Tannery. The monks of Kirkstall Abbey had a water corn mill here in 1230. Milling continued until 1785 when Thomas Martin used the mill for paper-making. In 1857 Samuel Smith built this fine tannery. From 1911 to 1994 it was used as a fellmongery.
Mill Pond Close, Leeds, United Kingdom
Hedley Verity, Yorkshire and England cricketer was born here. 1905-1943
Welton Grove, Leeds, United Kingdom
East Bar. This ancient stone marked the eastern boundary of the medieval town of Leeds.
Kirkgate, Leeds, United Kingdom
Samuel Smiles (1812-1905) the great propagandist of Victorian values through his books 'Self-Help', 'Character', 'Thrift' and 'Duty' inspired by his lectures to Leeds working men in 1845. He worked in Leeds 1838-58 as a newspaper editor, doctor and then railway secretary.
Leeds Institute, Millennium Square, Leeds, United Kingdom
Louis Le Prince. Louis Aime August Le Prince came to Leeds in 1866 where he experimented in cinematography. In 1888 he patented a one-lens camera with which he filmed Leeds Bridge from this British Waterways building. These were probably the world's first successful moving pictures.
adjacent to the Leeds Bridge, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Burial Ground. Huge population growth led Leeds Town Council to pioneer the English municipal cemetery here at Beckett Street. Anglicans and Dissenters had their own chapels and halves of the cemetery. The 27,000 graves, including many 'guinea graves,' contain 180,000 interments. Opened 1845.
Beckett Street Cemetery, Leeds, United Kingdom
City Varieties Music Hall. Harry Lauder, Charlie Chaplin and Harry Houdini performed in this Music Hall built in 1865 for Charles Thornton on the site of the White Swan coaching inn. Famous venue of the "Good Old Days" first broadcast in 1953
City Varieties Music Hall, Swan Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Manor House The medieval manor house stood here on 'Castle Hill'. Its deep moat looped between the river and Boar Lane. Richard Wilson lavishly rebuilt it in 1765 and in 1823 it became Henry Scarborough's hotel. The present-day pub is a surviving extension.
New Station Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Oakwood Clock Was made in 1904 by Potts and Sons, to the design of Leeming and Leeming as the centrepiece of the new Leeds Market Hall. alterations to the Market led to the inspired decision to erect the clock at Oakwood in 1912.
Roundhay Road, Oakwood, Leeds, United Kingdom
Central Higher Grade School This imposing school was erected by Leeds School Board as the town's first local authority secondary school. Renamed City of Leeds School in 1928, it merged with Thoresby High School in 1972, and moved to a new site in 1994. Opened 1889
Great George Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Fletland Mills In 1887 Wright Bros., corn millers, acquired these late 18th and 19th century mills. they produced large quantities of flour and 'horse corn' for the Leeds district. In 1991 the buildings were splendidly converted to a high quality hotel.
The Calls, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds College of Art Founded in 1846, by Leeds Mechanics' and Literary Institution, pioneered the teaching of practical art and design in England and USA. Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth studied here. This building was erected for the college in 1903.
Rossington Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Brodrick's Building These fine shops and offices were designed by Cuthbert Brodrick (1822-1905) the architect of Leeds Town Hall, the Corn Exchange and the Mechanics' Institute. They were renovated by Trinity Services in 1988. Erected 1864
Cookridge Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Bank of England The Bank of England opened a branch in Leeds in 1827 These premises, entered from South Parade, were designed by Phillip Hardwick and erected 1862-64. The Bank remained on this site until moving to King Street in 1971.
Park Row, Leeds, United Kingdom
Mill Hill Chapel This elegant Gothic building, designed by Bowman and Crowther in 1848, replaced the original 17th century chapel. Its congregation - formerly Presbyterian, now Unitarian - dates from 1672. Joseph Priestley, LL.D., F.R.S., discoverer of oxygen, was minister here 1767-1773.
Park Row, Leeds, United Kingdom
Burley Bar Stone This stone, now housed inside the main entrance of Leeds Building Society, marked the medieval boundary between the manorial borough, or town, of Leeds and Leeds Main Riding, the surrounding agricultural land. First recorded 1726
The Headrow, Leeds, United Kingdom
William Hey's House This impressive Georgian townhouse was built for William Hey (1736-1819) one of the founders and later Chief Surgeon of Leeds General Infirmary. For 50 years Hey was in the front rank of British surgeons. Architect: Thomas Johnson Erected 1794-5
2 Albion Pl, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Charity School The chapel of Harrison's Almshouses, which formerly occupied this site, was converted for use by the Charity School in 1726. When the present building was erected in 1815, the institution clothed 80 poor girls in blue and trained them for domestic service. Founded 1705
Mark Lane, Leeds, United Kingdom
North-Eastern Railway Viaduct This 1500 yard viaduct, including the New Station (now known as City Station) built over the river and canal, is one of the great feats of Victorian civil engineering. It linked railway termini on opposite sides of Leeds. Erected 1866-69
Swinegate, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Victoria Hotel was built in 1865 to serve people attending the Assize Courts newly held at Leeds Town Hall. Its stylish accommodation then comprised spacious dining rooms and bars, a billiard room and large meeting room, private sitting rooms and 28 bedrooms.
Oxford Place, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Infirmary The General Infirmary moved here from Infirmary Street in 1869. The building, designed by George Gilbert Scott, incorporated ideas from Florence Nightingale. The plan placed it in the foremost rank of European hospitals.
Portland Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Fairbairn House Originally known as Woodsley House, this monumental villa was built in 1840 for Sir Peter Fairbairn, the textile engineering magnate, and Mayor of Leeds 1858-59. Queen Victoria stayed here in 1858 when she came to open the Town Hall.
Clarendon Road, Leeds, United Kingdom
Louis Le Prince The pioneer of cinematography had a workshop on this site where he invented a one-lens camera and a projecting machine. Le Prince produced what are believed to be the world's first moving pictures taken on Leeds Bridge in 1888.
Blenheim Terrace, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Yorkshire Ladies' Council of Education was founded in 1876 to promote the education of girls and women and occupied this building between 1928-1988, It served as an administrative centre for Council activities and housed The Yorkshire Ladies' Secretarial College.
Blenheim Terrace, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Church Institute The power house behind the advancement of religious and secular education on the principles of the Church of England in Leeds, and the home for a host of Church organisations. The British Deaf Association was founded here on 24 July 1890. Erected 1866-68.
Albion Pl, Leeds, United Kingdom
Bank Mills This magnificent waterside flax mill and its twin block just upstream were built in 1831-2 for Messrs Hives and Atkinson, former partners of John Marshall the famous Leeds flax spinner. Architect: John Clark
East Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Hotel Metropole This fine hotel designed by Chorley, Connon and Chorley is one of the best examples of terracotta work in Leeds. A remarkable feature is the large stone cupola taken from the town's fourth White Cloth Hall (erected in 1868) which formerly occupied this site. Opened 1899
King Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Lady Betty Hastings of Ledston Hall was a lifelong patron of charities for education, the promotion of Christian knowledge and the relief of poverty. In 1721 when the scheme for building this church was revived, her magnificent donation of £1000 ensured its success. 1682-1739
Boar Lane, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds and Liverpool Canal Warehouse In 1777 this robust stone building was constructed as a terminal warehouse for the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Started in 1770, the canal was finally completed in 1816 at a cost of £1,200,000 - nearly five times the original estimate.
Canal Wharf, Leeds, United Kingdom
Temple Mill The magnificent but highly functional flax spinning mill to your left was erected by John Marshall, founder of the Leeds Flax Industry. Joseph Bonomi modelled it and this office building (added in 1843) on the Egyptian temple at Edfu. Erected 1838-40
Marshall Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Joshua Tetley (1778-1859) In 1822 Joshua Tetley bought William Sykes' brewery business which had stood here since 1792. Joshua's enterprise and fine quality ales created a reputation which for over 150 years has made the name 'Tetleys' synonymous with the City of Leeds.
Hunslet Road, Leeds, United Kingdom
White Cloth Hall This superbly restored gateway belonged to the magnificent quadrangular market hall which underpinned the prosperity of Georgian Leeds. Merchants and 1300 West Riding clothiers met here on Tuesdays and Saturdays to trade in undyed 'white' woollen cloth. Built 1775-76
Cloth Hall Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Assembly Rooms Its handsomely decorated ballroom and card rooms made it one of Yorkshire's finest assembly rooms. Its patrons were the Leeds merchants and the local nobility and gentry. The ground floor formed the northern range of the third White Cloth Hall. Opened 9 June 1777
Assembly Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
John Harrison 1579-1656 St. John's, one of England's most remarkable churches, was built by this celebrated benefactor in 1634. A cloth merchant and co-founder of Leeds Corporation, he further endowed the town with almshouses, a new grammar school and a market cross.
New Briggate, Leeds, United Kingdom
Carlton Hill Friends Meeting House Erected in 1868 was the principal Quaker Meeting House in Leeds. In 1921 it became Albrecht & Albrecht's clothing factory, the Quaker meetings removing to the schoolroom block to the rear, where worship continued until 1979. From 1933 to 2004 it was the BBC Studios. Architect: Edward Birchall
Woodhouse Lane, Leeds, United Kingdom
Park Square This elegant square formed part of the Wilson family's plan to create a high-class residential estate on the site of the medieval park of the Manor of Leeds. Its residents were merchants, clergy, lawyers and surgeons. Built 1788-1810
Park Square, Leeds, United Kingdom
St. Paul's House This building was originally a warehouse and cloth-cutting works built for John Barran, the founder of the mass-production, ready-made clothing industry in Leeds. Barran was a Mayor of Leeds and served as its Liberal M.P. from 1876 - 1885 Architect: Thomas Ambler Erected 1878
Park Square, Leeds, United Kingdom
Queen's Arcade Named in honour of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. Built in 1888-9 by Armistead and Proctor on the site of the Rose and Crown coaching inn which occupied one of Briggate's medieval burgage plots. Architect: Edward Clark
Queen's Arcade, Leeds, United Kingdom
The crucible of darts. Opened in 1970 Leeds Irish Centre has become the social and cultural heart of the city's Irish Community. Now drawing millions of viewers televised darts was pioneered here in August 1973 when the Centre hosted Yorkshire Television's pub games series 'Indoor League' presented by Fred Trueman.
The Irish Centre, York Road, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Mansion In 1803 the wealthy insurance broker and later banker Thomas Nicholson bought half of the medieval hunting park - 'The Round Hay'. In 1815, after landscaping the park, he moved into this fine new house attributed to architect Thomas Taylor. The estate was purchased for the people of Leeds in 1871.
Mansion Lane, Leeds, United Kingdom
In 1233 Walter de Gray, Archbishop of York, forgave the sins of those who contributed to the building of this bridge. The original was only 3.6 metres wide and humpbacked. Frequently repaired, it was widened and raised in 1826. The present bridge is the result
Wetherby Bridge, Leeds, United Kingdom
Edmund Clifton Stoner FRS (1899-1968) The University of Leeds first Professor of Theoretical Physics Cavendish Professor of Physics distinguished for his research on magnetism, atomic structure and astrophysics
E C Stoner Building, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
This historic courtyard occupies one of the 60 burgage plots which abutted Briggate in the Middle Ages. It is fronted by an eight-bayed wollen cloth merchant's house (built c. 1714) and contains the merchant's cloth finishing shops and warehouses.
Queens Court, Lower Briggate, Leeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Union Workhouse opened in 1861 at a cost of £32,00 to accommodate 800 paupers. In 1944 it became part of St James's Hospital, and in 1995-97 it was splendidly refurbished as the Thackray Medical Museum. Architects: Perkin & Backhouse
Beckett Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Yorkshire College These buildings, erected in 1879 with support from the Clothworkers' Company, were the first purpose-built premises of the Yorkshire College (founded in 1874). They comprised the weaving and dyeing sheds and museum of the Textile Department. The College became the University of Leeds in 1904. Architect: Alfred Waterhouse
Yorkshire College, Leeds, United Kingdom
The Leeds Odd Fellows The 33 lodges of the Leeds District of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Manchester Unity Friendly Society were administered from here 1910-1979. They offered workers and their families mutual financial protection in times of illness, unemployment and bereavement. Facilities here included meeting rooms, a ballroom and a club. Founded 1826
Queen Square, Leeds, United Kingdom
St Aidan's Church Built in 1894 to the designs of R J Johnson and W S Hicks in the Italian Romanesque style. The eastern apse is adorned with fine mosaics depicting scenes from the life of St Aidan by Sir Frank Brangwyn. Unveiled in 1916.
Roundhay Road, Leeds, United Kingdom
Whitelocks Occupying a medieval Briggate burgage plot, it was first licensed as the Turk's Head in 1715. Rebuilt by the Whitelock family in the 1880s, it later extended into the row of Georgian working men's cottages. John Betjeman described it as 'the very heart of Leeds'
Briggate, Leeds, United Kingdom
Central Station Wagon Hoist. This steam-powered railway wagon hoist was one of a pair that stood on each side of the viaduct leading to the station goods warehouse. They raised and lowered wagons between the viaduct and the goods yard below. Built for the Lancashire & Yorkshire and London & North Western Railways in the 1850s, the hoists remained in use until the 1950s
Wellington Place, Leeds, United Kingdom
Kirkgate Market In 1826 the Leeds vicarage and croft were purchased to create a fruit, vegetable and cattle market. An elegant Crystal Palace-style covered market was erected in 1857, followed in 1904 by today's magnificent market hall designed by Leeming and Leeming.
Kirkgate market, Leeds, United Kingdom
Yorkshire Penny Bank This famous bank, later known as Yorkshire Bank, was founded at Leeds in 1856. These flamboyant premises, designed by G. B. Bulmer, were opened in 1894. The first purpose-built Leeds General Infirmary (1771) formerly stood on this site.
?, Leeds, United Kingdom
"A very gallant gentleman". To commemorate Captain Lawrence E. G. Oates a member of Capt. Scott's expedition to the South Pole 1910 - 1912 a frequent visitor to Meanwoodside, the Oates family home. Died 17th March 1912
Meanwood Park, Leeds, United Kingdom
Coloured Cloth Hall Leeds' most splendid Georgian cloth hall, built in 1758, stood on this site. Projecting to the centre of City Square, its massive quandrangular structure housed 1770 stalls for clothiers selling dyed woollen cloth at the Tuesday and Saturday markets.
Infirmary Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Kemplays Academy This fine house, built in 1720 for Matthew Wilson, is shown on John Cossins's Plan of Leeds in 1725. In 1817 Richard Kemplay purchased the property to house his 'Academy for Young Gentlemen'.
St John's Place, Leeds, United Kingdom
Marks and Spencer plc The clock mounted on the frontage of this store commemorates the centenary of the birth of Simon Marks, later Lord Marks of Broughton, who was born in Trafalgar Street Leeds on July 9th 1888. Lord Marks was chairman of Marks and Spencer from 1916 until his death in 1964. Simon Marks' father, Michael, founded the company in 1884 when he opened his first stall in Leeds Kirkgate Market.
Marks & Spencer, Briggate, Leeds, United Kingdom